Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to paint fenders?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: How to paint fenders? Reply with quote

I have all 4 fenders off the car and ready for paint. How should I support them so I can get at all sides of them, under the edges of the lips, along the mounting tab, etc.? Ideally I would like to paint the inside and outside in one shot, but if I can't, I understand.

I tried hanging them vertically but it made it very hard to get into the headlight buckets unless I use a ladder to climb up there and the bottom is so close to the floor I can't really get the spray to work right.

I would like to hang them horizontally. How can I do that?

I also have some folding sawhorses, but I can't see how I could put them on something and still get paint everywhere from the mounting tab to the outside edge.

All my experience is painting busses, this is my first beetle.

Chubber
'74 Super Beetle Convertible (Sold)
3Bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I painted mine on the car after painting and undercoating the insides. I hung them back on the car with longer bolts and used several washers as spacers to keep them out about an inch from the body. It worked for me.
Jowlz
The Anti-Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use welding rods and suspend the part from a rack made of tube steel. Just bend the welding rods to the shape you need and find a bolt hole. You could also use coat hangers. Hang a clothes line if you dont have a rack.
Chubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really want to hang them back on the car, I am also painting inside the fender wells on the car.

When you hang them up, which holes are you using? The front and rear fender holes? I can't really spray straight up.

Can I just hang them by the turn signal holes, for the front fenders? That would make them mostly level. What to do about the rears?
'74 Super Beetle Convertible (Sold)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: