Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Westy - Welcoming Myself Aboard
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ran When Parked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: 1967 Westy - Welcoming Myself Aboard Reply with quote

Hello folks.

I joined today. Hopefully I am not breaking any rules already, but I wanted to say I am here with a first post.

I bought a 1967 Westy Camper 16 years ago. Put it in a shop for a year for restoration. Then I put it in a car show and won second place. Drove home and parked it for the next 15 years. Last month I remembered I had in in the garage when I saw one on T.V. I can't seem to remember why I did that. The '67 is the one in my avatar.

I am in the process of breaking it down and redoing it. Most likely I will start a build thread. I will do most of the work myself this time as I have patience.

I would also like to post to the "Today in Bus hunting history..." thread. I have been looking and have found three splittys all in bad states. I have offers out and I am waiting on the owners.

Is there a negotiation thread on this board? Perferably one that deals with rough estimating and talking to owners of rusty barn and field finds? Should I throw out a number or get them to throw one out first?

Have a great day folks.

Last edited by Ran When Parked on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
2true
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my 67 Westy 16 years ago too. Welcome.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Myself Aboard Reply with quote

Sh*tBird wrote:
Hello folks.

I joined today. Hopefully I am not breaking any rules already, but I wanted to say I am here with a first post.

I bought a 1967 Westy Camper 16 years ago. Put it in a shop for a year for restoration. Then I put it in a car show and won second place. Drove home and parked it for the next 15 years. Last month I remembered I had in in the garage when I saw one on T.V. I can't seem to remember why I did that. The '67 is the one in my avatar.

I am in the process of breaking it down and redoing it. Most likely I will start a build thread. I will do most of the work myself this time as I have patience.

I would also like to post to the "Today in Bus hunting history..." thread. I have been looking and have found three splittys all in bad states. I have offers out and I am waiting on the owners.

Is there a negotiation thread on this board? Perferably one that deals with rough estimating and talking to owners of rusty barn and field finds? Should I throw out a number or get them to throw one out first?

Have a great day folks.

Wow, that's quite a period of forgottenness. Please post some current photos so we can see what you might need to do.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember to come back and post up now and then.
nice dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool I just started a 67 SC restoration project with my son.

Welcome and good luck!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of forgetfulness- I refer to the previously repeated post.
Good luck with the '67-

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
mg6770
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Myself Aboard Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
Sh*tBird wrote:
Hello folks.

Have a great day folks.

Wow, that's quite a period of forgottenness. Please post some current photos so we can see what you might need to do.

Excuse me if I sound ignorant but how does one forget they have a bus (or any other car for that matter) in the garage? Either your garage is multi-level with dozens of cars or you have multiple garages? Smoke pot at all?
Phil 4:13
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Myself Aboard Reply with quote

mg6770 wrote:
j.pickens wrote:
Sh*tBird wrote:
Hello folks.

Have a great day folks.

Excuse me if I sound ignorant but how does one forget they have a bus (or any other car for that matter) in the garage? Either your garage is multi-level with dozens of cars or you have multiple garages? Smoke pot at all?

I can see it. I don't smoke pot, I'm not senile, and I don't have a lot of money, but I was going through a box of stuff one day and found $8000.00 that I'd completely forgotten that I'd stashed away. I wouldn't think it would be possible for me to do something like that, but I did. The second I saw it, I remembered every detail of the circumstance. In the case of the bus in the post, I'd not believe it possible, but if you don't go in the garage very often, and it's piled high like many of them are, it might become an "out of sight, out of mind" type of thing. Life happens.

Regardless of why it was forgotten, I'm still anxious to see pics of its' present state, and pics of the rebirth.
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionaly with a Sig line like "Haze gray and underway", It could be understandable. After a nice 6-9 month underway, I find new things in my garage all the time. When I get back to my Bus in 3 years, Im sure I will be amazed with what I find.

Welcome and try not to forget about it for another 15 years.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ran When Parked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put pictures up most of them taken today but all in the last week. The pictures show:
- Front, side, and back views
- Engine (has some holes in the floor and the seal is missing in some spots)
- Rust spots (one is from bondo on the tail end - I had the bus bead blasted so that is the only bondo spot)
- A missing antenna (I put door stoppers in the holes as I did not know it was for an antenna 15 years ago)
- Dirty Inside Panels
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And one or two more photos. I guess you can see them if you search for my username. I am not sure how many photos should be embedded in a post.

When I said I forgot about the bus, the meaning was that I only interacted with it when I moved from one state to the next. The first four years it sat in the rain. I now know that was dumb. The other four years it was garaged. The last time the engine was started was to drive up on a trailer for a 200 mile trip to my new house. When it was up on the trailer, I drained the gas tank. At the new place, I rolled it off the trailer into the garage and have not looked at it for seven years.

My next steps are to remove all the cabinets, inside panels, carpet from Rocky Mountain Motorworks if memory serves me correctly, and get a good view of the floor pans. The underside has been sprayed with a protective
coating so I would like to look from the top. I will fix what I find. Then look at the engine (it was rebuilt roughly 1000 miles and 16 years ago), brakes, and whatever else i need to do.

At the same time, I am going to buy the best body non running bus I can and learn to fix that one using The Samba as my main resource and a Bentley Manual (next purchase). The only tools I have are a Leatherman,
hammer, and a thumb wrench. Funny? True. When I get up to speed, I will work on my 67 camper. As the pictures show, it is still a solid awesome bus so I don't want to get my practice in on it and tear it up.

If the bus is not ready by March 2014, I am going to have to hire someone to fix it. We will see what happens. I will post pictures.

I've been learning a lot on the forums, like how dumb I was to remove all the original upholstery and have it redone in black. It was perfectly good other than the color. I tossed that in the trash along with the original curtains and some other stuff. I did keep the T-handle on the engine lid but replaced it with one that had a key.

I received negotiation help via a PM. Thank you.

Ok, maybe it is 14 years ago. I found a picture of it at the Bugapalooza in Chattanooga, TN back in 1999. Here is the link: http://www.volksfolks.org/gallery/bug-a-paluza/bug-a-paluza-1999/image073/
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a cool old Westfalia SO-42. Very popular right now. Ignore the offers to buy that you will get, buy some simple tools and that Bentley Workshop manual, make some new local VW friends who can also advise and assist you. Most of all, in the process of getting it back to health and on the road again, fall in love with your Splitty again and enjoy it.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cuņado Wear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice story and good luck to you. the samba is a good tool to have when trying to fix these old buses.
seems to me it looks to be in good shape.. just go threw motor and brakes and your off..
good luck to you anyway.

Looking for front kick panels for late 63' Deluxe Basalt Gray
60' Double Cab
63' 15 Window Deluxe
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the boards, and nice bus! Dang, threw away original curtains and upholstery... d'oh! Very Happy Tools wise, if you have a Harbor Freight near you, it'd be a good place to go for tools on the cheap. The Samba has been the best tool to me though... And another great reference is http://www.oacdp.org/ There are exploded diagrams of everything that can be very helpful too.

And get that bus out and enjoy her more, don't let her just sit in the garage! Very Happy
skramyrral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the engine number?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ran When Parked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Engine Number Reply with quote

If it is common practice to post engine numbers, I will read up on where to find it and post it. I would be curious to know if that is the original engine. I found a picture down in one of the side panels, the original side panels, of the original owner. He had a graduation cap on, and was standing in front of the bus, long hair and all. Just thought I would throw that in there. Well, back to drinking beer!
bro2539
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should drop the engine and pull the gas tank too. There is probably some nice tarnish build up in there. Nice bus!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Number Reply with quote

Sh*tBird wrote:
If it is common practice to post engine numbers, I will read up on where to find it and post it. I would be curious to know if that is the original engine. I found a picture down in one of the side panels, the original side panels, of the original owner. He had a graduation cap on, and was standing in front of the bus, long hair and all. Just thought I would throw that in there. Well, back to drinking beer!

No one can do anything with your engine number.
Ran When Parked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Busy Day Reply with quote

Been working on the Bus today. I've almost pulled all the cabinets out. I saw some ugly (pictures coming shortly).

The Z-Bed was removed the hard way, by removing every screw. Once I was done I saw that four cotter pins would have released the seat which would have allowed me to remove the bottom and back as one unit. Then I would have had access to the bolts that keep the base fastened to the floor and side.

They really knew how to build cabinets back then because they are all still solid.

The upper back cabinet, that rides against the ceiling in the back, had two holes cut for speakers. That didn't look right to me so I ordered another one from The Samba Classifieds. I will let you know how that works out.

Great new is, DRUM ROLL PLEASE, the thread ""Today in Bus hunting history..." is going to get a post from me tomorrow as I have closed a deal for one (1) of the three (3) buses that I mentioned in my first ever post on The Samba.

I paid what he first asked and I feel that I didn't get ripped because I wanted it but I will be wondering what all you folks think. I can't wait to hear.

It's not in the drive way yet, so...
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hover your mouse cursor over the "Technical" button at upper right. Then left click on the "Owner's Manuals" that pops up in the list below.

Next page in the "Type 2" column, left click on "Owner's/Parts/Other Manuals".

Next page scroll down to your year and read up!!

1966 section has a manual on the SO-42 interior, with info like how to remove cabinets without having to completely take them apart. Laughing

Lots and lots more must read info thru all those pretty buttons..... Wink
Ran When Parked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Thank You. Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

1966 section has a manual on the SO-42 interior, with info like how to remove cabinets without having to completely take them apart.

Thank you. I will do that. I've learned to quote too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: