Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Missing rain gutters on my 1961 westy
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeeCee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Missing rain gutters on my 1961 westy Reply with quote

I acquired a 1961 westy. At some point in the last 50 years, someone decided to cut off the rain gutters.

Considering how much rain we get here in Japan and that I'd like to put a rack on the roof, I'm interested in putting rain gutters on it.

I'm not sure how to go about doing it without replacing the entire roof--which I would rather not do. Mine roof is in OK shape and has a sub hatch.

Any suggestions?
kevm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a shame someone hacked off the gutters but I'm sure it's fixable. I can't really advise on that but I'm interested in your westy, what model is it ? Can you post some pics ?

Cheers
Kev
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try posting some images of the missing rain gutter area on this website.
PeeCee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it is a 32 or 34. None of the interior is there. OG paint is red and beige--covered up with matte black. Safaris are caulked shut.

I don't know how much of the deluxe trim is original. The VW logo is inside the car, just not attached.

Eric & Barb, you responded to my first thread about trying to identify my bus. You've done an amazing job with yours. Mine is a lot like yours, except it doesn't need a new roof yet. In the last thread you gave me an FB link which showed someone who welded a gutter on their bus. I was a bit apprehensive about doing something that involved to the roof. In the FB link the photos looked like a pretty wide bit of steel was welded on. I was wondering whether it had to be that wide and if there wasn't an easier way to do it.

From going through other thread, I understand that the gutter is actually a piece that goes on between the body and the roof and not just something tacked on to the outside. I just don't really know what to do with something that has been butchered like this.

Here's a recent photo.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I located a flip seat bottom and will be installing that. The bus runs fine--starts instantly etc.[/img]
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the rear of your roof has been covered over or replaced with something. That ridge up there is not original. Given the amount of work it would take to undo the previous work, I think you better get used to the custom look with that bus.
Das Dragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that the bus is not an original Westy. The roof section with the hatch appears to be grafted onto the roof. I bet if you try to weld a rain gutter you will find the area packed with body filler.
Non of the deluxe trim is original to a Westy.

Drive the bus as is or sell it and buy another w/gutters.

With *****, "Bullshit Happens"!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought was you again, but did not want to assume. Smile

Think you are just going to have to do some digging into the roof. See if that is just a huge pile of bondo on the roof. Then you can figure where to go from there. Welding on a rain gutter will be difficult, but not impossible.

You have either a SO-34 or 35 Westfalia. Finding another in Japan will be a huge problem. Far easier to fix what you have.
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that a ridge or is that a damp spot causing an optical illusion
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not able to weld the gutters back on, you've still got what looks like a custom bus with a unique look you don't see every day, and that's better than no bus at all. Wink
Das Dragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim might be correct and that it's a wet spot on the roof giving an illusion of a hump.

With *****, "Bullshit Happens"!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a hump fooled by wet spots for years, but...

Would it not be far easier to locate an entire roof (or have one imported), weld it on with all the much-needed gutter rigidity- then graft the hatch back in it?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:

Would it not be far easier to locate an entire roof (or have one imported), weld it on with all the much-needed gutter rigidity- then graft the hatch back in it?

Having done part of a roof replacement, would say no. Use some copper to keep the underside of the gutter weld flat as possible and weld inside the gutter to the roof should be doable. Weld bead can just take the place of the seam sealer used there.
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rain gutter actually contains all the welds that hold the roof onto the bus. I highly doubt your gutter was removed, instead probably highly modified. I am guessing either hammered flat and bonded over or something similar.

Odds are your bus may have had some sort of roof damage from a flip over (very common with split buses) or something else and the previous owner came up with the idea to do a gutter less rat ride to try and hide instead of fix the damage. Is there any sign or other damage on the inside of the bus? What does the inside of the roof look like....pictures?

My opinion is you are best leaving the bus as-is. It looks pretty kick ass considering. I think you will probably be opening a Pandora's box of nightmares trying to fix that roof. Maybe sell it and find another? If you HAVE to fix it...try cleaning up just one small area of rain gutter and see what they did under all that filler and go from there. You can always put the filler back and shoot some more flat black over it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeeCee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I'm pretty sure it's a westy from what I've been reading on this site and others. I don't know about the originality of the DX trim, but I like it. I've seen some 1961 westies with DX trim when I tried googling, so...

But, my VW knowledge basically consists of what I've read here. You guys are the expert. Here are a few more photos including the inside and the sub hatch.

What looked like a hump on the roof was just a wet spot. Matte black doesn't dry like the shiny stuff.

It sounds like doing the rain gutters may be more trouble than it is worth. I'll see what the locals say. Either way, the bus needs a bit of TLC to catch the rust before it gets out of hand.

earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see holes for curtain rods? Subhatch catches and hinges look weird too....Is there an m-code plate on the seat base?

Does it have a spare tire well in the rear corner?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does look strange. Id have to know if it were me, but be prepared.
options are stick with the custom look or investigate further but you might end up having to replace the entire roof if it turns out the only thing keeping is on is filler.
I would be interested to see close up pics to see if it was just cut inline with the body and the low part of the gutter filled. Good luck with it what ever you decide to do.

See below gutter profile picture

here is some interesting reading and links to images that might help.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=536623

78 Westy
64 Split panel
64 Karmann Ghia
72 trekker
70 bug
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeeCee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...

The plot thickens. Perhaps some of you learned tag-readers will give me the low down on this low down maybe-I'm-a-Westy-maybe-I'm-not.

Here's a shot of the tag.

The question remains as to why someone would try to masquerade a standard VWbus as a westy in this country where very few people even know what a westy is...
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it was a BG/SWR Kombi optioned to be a Camper:

Model Type 2 (T1) mod. 231 :
- Kombi
- Cargo doors right
- LHD
Chassis number 791325
Serial number 23791325
Modelyear 1961
Planned production date June 07 ,1961
Paint color
upper: L472 - Beige Grey
lower: L53 - Sealing Wax Red
Interior color (doorpanels and seats) *** Unknown ***
Destination Germany

M-CODES
M-CODE Description Concerned models From chassis number To chassis number
139 Sealed beam headlamps, red tail light lenses Export
156 Second rear view mirror -
156 Larger oil bath air filter 211-274
367 Package including M361 plus M20, M24,M90,M142, M175 -
020 MPH speedometer Export
024 Sealed beam head lamps and red tail lights USA, Canada
024 Sealed beam head lamps and red taillights, side turn signals, back up lights Export

090 Windscreens with safety laminated glass Export
142 Side windows of safety laminated glass Kombi, Microbus, Export

142 Sliding door on both sides -
168 88 ampere/hour battery (6V) -
175 Ram protection (bumper with guards) Except types 26

181 Chrome hubcaps -
192 Body ready to be outfitted as a camper -
199 Seat belt mounting points -
199 Swivel driver's seat Panel Van, Camper, Kombi. Also used on Flipseat Westfalia campers

2 870 114
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeeCee wrote:

It sounds like doing the rain gutters may be more trouble than it is worth. I'll see what the locals say. Either way, the bus needs a bit of TLC to catch the rust before it gets out of hand.

I remember this bus from a thread a couple (?) years ago, the owner did not even know it was a westy at the time. Not sure if I could find the thread. Looks like the bus had been gutted of the westy stuff a loooong time ago.

Quote:
I don't see holes for curtain rods? Subhatch catches and hinges look weird too....Is there an m-code plate on the seat base?

Does it have a spare tire well in the rear corner?

Looks like there is a well there, from the pic, at least the tire would be higher is just sitting on the shelf. The wood framing around the hatch is missing, which makes it 'look wierd'.
wood framing / bows:

my 61 so-34 with the frame around the hatch missing, but back bow still there.
I think your bus has filler where the rear tent mount should be. You can see the bolts on the inside of my buses roof in that place:

IIRC, it was a real westy, just gutted. Generally a hacked bulkhead bus has no m-code tag.

German delivery bus, kombi, the SK code means special paint rather than usual kombi paint. kombis were painted on the cab, but grey in the back. looks like yours was swr/bg, and the swr was painted on the entire interior, with overspray on the inner edge of the roof. which is correct for a 61 westy. A regular swr kombi would not have red in the back, NOT have the red overspray around the inner roof edge. Generally I would expect an 34 or 23 m-code for a 61 westy, but they did not always have them, esp on no port code westies. Yours has no port code. The paint code w/ the model code and the bus say westy.

I would think installing rain gutters would be a challenging repair.
kevm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing your bus now in the previous post.

As others have said I would uncover the gutter area to see whats what.

I did see a thread about a gutter repair, where the roof skin was removed by drilling the spot welds all the way round. The gutter was replaced in sections and then the roof was plug welded back on. A lot of work, but maybe worth it for your flipseat Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: