Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

grub screw
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: grub screw Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever seen a late style grub screw for the shifter mechanism? The originals are square headed. In fact if you order the part from VW that is what you still get, yet the factory supplement #18 from October 1977 mentions that the part is to be upgraded with the new style which is a 10 mm hex head part 211-711-189A (self locking rather than lock wire. At the same time a 3rd bushing was added to the shift lever and instructions given to the dealers to upgrade the mechanism when they had it out. This applies to 002 and 091 trans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shift coupler on my green bus was stripped out when I got it, so that grub screw would just fall out as soon as you tried to shift it.

A local bus guy had a spare coupler in his parts stash with no markings on it at all, so im guessing it's a cheap EMPI one or the like. This coupler came with a new grub screw as well, not the square one it was originally equipped with.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find pictures of the hex headed grub screw from several vendor. What you get when you order is another story. This is a place that I have always used Loctite.

Places like CIP1 list many different couplings at a wide range in prices. It would be nice to know which one really works the best.

https://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=shift+coupling&sort=7&Search1=Search
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
You can find pictures of the hex headed grub screw from several vendor. What you get when you order is another story. This is a place that I have always used Loctite.

Places like CIP1 list many different couplings at a wide range in prices. It would be nice to know which one really works the best.

https://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=shift+coupling&sort=7&Search1=Search

I use Loctite and safety wire but I always have trouble finding a socket that fits. I'll have to take an old style grub screw with me sometime and find a socket. I too ordered some that showed photos of the new style but they always send the old ones hence the reason for this thread. Was just curious if anyone had ever had found that late style.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tinlizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9mm 12-point works on my early bay.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing at all wrong or inferior with the original square heads that you safety wire. Never had a concern or problem with them since there is no reason to have a concern at all with that style. It's just as easy to pick up an open end or crescent than it is to reach for and pick up some silly socket. Laughing
AaronT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try an 8mm or 5/16" 8 point socket. It should fit the square head perfect

1959 Beetle - Betty
1963 Single Cab - Sam
1970 Bay Bus - Lyle
2009 Custom Sand Rail
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

I use Loctite and safety wire but I always have trouble finding a socket that fits. I'll have to take an old style grub screw with me sometime and find a socket. I too ordered some that showed photos of the new style but they always send the old ones hence the reason for this thread. Was just curious if anyone had ever had found that late style.

I had never heard of the new hex head style. But I have a really nice socket that fits the square head grub screw (and from the looks of it should fit the late hex head as well).

Its a short 5/16" eight point with really deep serrations. Its 1/4 drive, short and is Blackhawk
tools brand. Thats a brand owned by Proto. You can get them at Grainger or Amazon. It also fits all the grub screws on the shifter forks in most VW transmission.....which is the primary reason I bought it because you cannot disassemble a type 4 four speed without it.
looking at it it has written on it: Blackhawk USA, 5/16" GW-1210.
Just found it on Amazon by searching Blackhawk GW-1210. Its $5.19.

If you have a Motion Industries dealer near you they list it at $3.30. One of the most useful specialty sockets I have ever gone out of my way to buy. Ray

EDIT: from Tcash last post....I did not realize that the new factory grub screws were 10mm head. I was referring to the six point screws that Wildthings listed at the CIP1 link. It lookw like it will fit them.

On the other hand.....you can also buy 8mm pointed set screws from Mcmaster carr. They are allen key only....but in a pinch they can keep you off the side, of the road. Have to drill a safety wire hole though.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes - TCash knew what I was referring to. I have ordered that new part number from even VW and I always end up with the older square style. The issue was finding a socket that fits. Everything I have is 6 or 12 point, and every time I have found a new socket that fits it either eventually rounds out or cracks. I will look for the suggested one Ray mentioned. Thanks every one and Merry Christmas / Happy Hanukah, and have a great day whatever your faith may be.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow - 8pt socket sets are $110 to $250. Can anyone else confirm the one Ray suggested fits?
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
wow - 8pt socket sets are $110 to $250. Can anyone else confirm the one Ray suggested fits?

4 bucks for one, but how many sizes are you ever going to use unless you want to use them with your tap set, not really recommending that.

http://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/tools/Ratchets-So...MgodpB8AnA
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start hitting the flea markets, years ago those cheapo Japanese socket sets (yes, pre China) that came in the flat metal box included a few double or triple square sockets that were intended for the square nuts found on wood stoves and other simple machines. It took me quite a few years to have that Ah Hah! moment as to just what the hell those funny shaped sockets that fit nothing I had were for.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Start hitting the flea markets, years ago those cheapo Japanese socket sets (yes, pre China) that came in the flat metal box included a few double or triple square sockets that were intended for the square nuts found on wood stoves and other simple machines. It took me quite a few years to have that Ah Hah! moment as to just what the hell those funny shaped sockets that fit nothing I had were for.

Yes....its a funny socket. Very deep sides on the "V" flanges. It definitely does not fit normal 5/16" bolts.....but fits square head bolts dead on.
I was fit fo be tied trying to loosen a square head 8mm, grub screw....8" down inside of a 004 transaxle. I always had to use a pair of needle nose locking pliers turned with a pipewrnech to work on that one.....and use a small wrench to owrk on the two that are on a type 4 shift coupler.

I noticed one day at work......the janitor turning off the outside sprinker system with a ratchet and socket that fit the square tamper proof faucet. I asked him where he got it and he looked at me an laughed. It was an "8" point socket (his was 1/4"). He bought his at ace hardware. I ordered one from Grainger.

The janitor schooled me. I keep that socket well protected. Laughing Ray
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a side not;

I was driving the other day and my front grub screw fell out (my out damn fault) and I was able to replace it with a 13mmx?x? bolt. there are alternatives that will fit, I just really can't think of the size right now

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can access the bus grub screw easy enough with vise grips or some other locking or racheting pliers. You can then use a screw driver to turn the pliers. I typically will use a 12" Crescent Wrench and a screwdriver if I can not just turn it directly with a 4" Crescent. FWIW, I bought a socket wrench set from JC Penny forty years ago which included several eight point 1/4" drive sockets, they have gotten very little use over the years but have come in handy at times, like when accessing a Beetle grub screw.
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hazet 514. The best money you'll ever spend...
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
Hazet 514. The best money you'll ever spend...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: