Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RHD Ghias, UK and AU
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 'll take a photo early next week if you haven't got one by then, was aiming to go down Tuesday afternoon.
PFN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus Dowrie wrote:
Digging up an old post, came across this as I was checking photos of RHD dashes (as you do....)

The comments about some Australian made components may have been true at some point, but every component on my oct'62 build australian delivery coupe was German - gauges, relays, handles, escutcheons. Low mileage car, so things hadn't worn out.

They are physically the same so it may be more the case that when say a speedo died it was easy to find an oz speedo from a beetle.

Don't know for certain, but it is another possibility.

As you do indeed! Cool I'm really grateful to you for sharing that information about your Ghia being all German parts. I'd love to hear more from other Australian owners. Also the fact that yours is low mileage does indeed mean that it's less likely to have been messed with. Any replacement pieces in the first 10 or so years of our car's lives would have been replaced with .au made parts when possible, and I know mine was in a pretty serious collision with front and rear damage early on in its life.

Speaking of speedos, is yours German or Australian? And the other thing that puzzles me, is your shift knob a Beetle part or the Ghia specific one? That's a whole other issue that has me confused regarding .au delivered vehicles...

(gone now)
1964 RHD Conversion Karmann Ghia
1956 RHD Beetle
1972 Kombi
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PFN wrote:
Angus Dowrie wrote:
Digging up an old post, came across this as I was checking photos of RHD dashes (as you do....)

The comments about some Australian made components may have been true at some point, but every component on my oct'62 build australian delivery coupe was German - gauges, relays, handles, escutcheons. Low mileage car, so things hadn't worn out.

They are physically the same so it may be more the case that when say a speedo died it was easy to find an oz speedo from a beetle.

As you do indeed! Cool I'm really grateful to you for sharing that information about your Ghia being all German parts. I'd love to hear more from other Australian owners. Also the fact that yours is low mileage does indeed mean that it's less likely to have been messed with. Any replacement pieces in the first 10 or so years of our car's lives would have been replaced with .au made parts when possible, and I know mine was in a pretty serious collision with front and rear damage early on in its life.

Speaking of speedos, is yours German or Australian? And the other thing that puzzles me, is your shift knob a Beetle part or the Ghia specific one? That's a whole other issue that has me confused regarding .au delivered vehicles...

Speedo, clock, fuel gauge etc are all German vdo. 52k mile car so nothing worn out. I had the speedo cleaned and serviced, and the mechanical fuel gauge also. The clock was converted to a tachometer, all done by NHS. From the date stamps they are all original to the car.

I believe VW built up enough local 'credits' through building the beetles and kombis that they could bring in the relatively small number of Ghias in fully imported. We are talking hundreds of Ghias vs tens of thousands of beetles/kombis.

I've also had two other Ghias, 1960 and 1961 that had had tougher lives than my current one. One had a German speedo, one an Australian one. They both had electric fuel gauges from memory, but I'm not certain about that, too many years ago!

The gear knob in the car was a beetle one, but the original Ghia one was in a box of bits. They'd changed it years ago as it had fallen apart in the oz sun I think. I bought the car from the widow of the original owner, and she could recall her husband doing that.

Happy to compare notes on oz-delivery Ghias, they are getting scarce!
PorschepowerGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus Dowrie wrote:

My November 1962 built Australian delivered coupe i just bought is the same, has all German parts.
PorschepowerGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Your clock and speedo are in the opposite positions to my 62 RHD and the UK lowlights posted earlier - does anyone know which year this changed?

The clock and speedo on my recently purchased November 1962 built Australian delivered coupe are in the same position as your cars and my speedo has a trip meter.
BrettAnderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: RHD Ghias, UK and AU Reply with quote

Does anyone know about this car looks like a UK registration?
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: RHD Ghias, UK and AU Reply with quote

BrettAnderson wrote:

Does anyone know about this car looks like a UK registration?

Just checked the car on the UK's registration authority website and "65 CUR" isn't registered. Probably means the car has been scrapped or exported.

Of course Lowlights all left the factory LHD but there were a couple of places in the UK offering to convert to RHD. IIRC there are about 5 period Lowlight RHD conversions known to still exist.

I think "65 CUR" is the picture used in this advert as the "CUR" part of the registration denotes Hertfordshire, the same location as the company doing the conversions...

The same picture is also in The Samba Archives under "Press Photos - Ghia" but no other information...

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: RHD Ghias, UK and AU Reply with quote

That advert is cool! I like the choice of a 'Fixed-head' or convertible. Is that an old British word for coupe or as we say Hard Top? I'm always fascinated by words/slang meaning the same thing from different countries.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: RHD Ghias, UK and AU Reply with quote

Another higher resolution picture of the 1959 RHD conversion advert.

"Demonstration Car Always Available"...probably "65 CUR" Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: