Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

align boring job ; how to tell if it was a success
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: align boring job ; how to tell if it was a success Reply with quote

Smile When building engines that needed a Align bore I always torqued the case to 35 ft lbs and when assembled would torque to 25 ft lbs.

Crank always turned over nice and smooth.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: align boring job ; how to tell if it was a success Reply with quote

gdando wrote:

So at this point do I stay with the 35 listed in both manuals or 25 that is listed everywhere else? Most importantly what are the consequences of both options?

25 ft-lb is the torque for assembly.

What the case is torqued to for line boring is not necessarily any of your business, but if you want to check the work then ok, get a dial bore gauge and check it, at 25, what do you find?

Where does it say 35 lb in any Bentley manual???? I am aware of 18 for sealing type nuts, 25 for nut/washer.
gdando
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: align boring job ; how to tell if it was a success Reply with quote

One would think that after 20 years in Europe I would not still get confused over converting kg to lbs. 3.5 kg equates to 25ft-lbs.

http://www.shoptalkforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=120800&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: