Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bring out your dead - Kman 71 vert build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to get to a point where I can turn a key and drive it under its own power. I installed the steering column today, and hopefully made a working turn signal switch, plus I added the drivers seat (fortunately I have two seats in good shape).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Next is to sort out the fuel tank which is in decent shape but needs a good derusting and painting.

I noticed an aluminum washer in the outlet and when I got it out I realized it was a long bronze fuel filter. Not sure I should put this back in due to possible clogging issues. What do the masses think?

carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can replace the filter with the new plastic ones, they can't do any harm by being in the tank seeing as VW designed the tank to have one.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
Question: How do you save money?

Answer: Use the crappy bumpers you have.

The middle section of the rear was so pitted that I blasted it and put silver paint on it. Almost every section has problems, so it is what it is. Here are some pics after taking apart, tapping and drilling broken bolts ,blasting and painting the backsides, and reassembling.

I am looking into having my rusted bumpers powder coated chrome. Local collage built a long "oven" for that purpose.
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? Your bumper bolts broke? So did mine, lol. Let me know if you need a hand with anything. I'd still like to do a compression check and take care of that rocker problem for you, if you have not already done so.

Paul
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul. Engine is going to wait for now. Slow going at this point. Cleaning a piece here and there then installing it. Getting vents and levers to work. Recovered the dash (not the best job done but it's better than it was). Installed the windshield. Went in on first try, but I pretzeled the aluminum trim that goes in the rubber as I caught it in the buffer, so that doesn't fit as well anymore Rolling Eyes Door latches went on and work great. Hood and decklid latches and gaskets installed. Gas tank in.

Getting ready to wire. I have 2 sets of harnesses to make one work. Do y'all think I printed the wiring diagram big enough?

Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good! great idea on the diagrahm.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
Do y'all think I printed the wiring diagram big enough

Great idea. I did one on a laminated A3 sheet that got dragged all over the car whilst installing my wiring. Now I'm done the thought is to frame it and put it on the wall in the WC along with similarly treated maps of the London Underground, Paris Metro, Tokyo Rail Network and BART. Laughing

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
Thanks Paul. Engine is going to wait for now. Slow going at this point. Cleaning a piece here and there then installing it. Getting vents and levers to work. Recovered the dash (not the best job done but it's better than it was). Installed the windshield. Went in on first try, but I pretzeled the aluminum trim that goes in the rubber as I caught it in the buffer, so that doesn't fit as well anymore Rolling Eyes Door latches went on and work great. Hood and decklid latches and gaskets installed. Gas tank in.

Getting ready to wire. I have 2 sets of harnesses to make one work. Do y'all think I printed the wiring diagram big enough?

Well let me know if you need an extra pair of hands or eyes anyway. I can be open Wednesday and Thursdays after work, and I still feel bad that you did so much and I did nothing. I changed my muffler, so you won't be able to hear my approach as well this time Wink
I see your Honda is there with the Ghia, hope all is well with it.

Good idea on the printout. I wish I had that when I was sorting out my electrics. It was such a mess that you turned the engine off with the headlight switch. Seriously! No turn signals and the lights were malfunctioning too. I've replaced a number of terminals because they were loose and had no tension, and some would crack when you tried to close them a little by squeezing. Are you going to use brass terminals like the originals? I used the modern silver ones because the goal was to get it running well, but I'll replace them with proper looking ones when I get around to it.
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altema wrote:
kman wrote:

Well let me know if you need an extra pair of hands or eyes anyway. I can be open Wednesday and Thursdays after work, and I still feel bad that you did so much and I did nothing. I changed my muffler, so you won't be able to hear my approach as well this time Wink
I see your Honda is there with the Ghia, hope all is well with it.

Good idea on the printout. I wish I had that when I was sorting out my electrics. It was such a mess that you turned the engine off with the headlight switch. Seriously! No turn signals and the lights were malfunctioning too. I've replaced a number of terminals because they were loose and had no tension, and some would crack when you tried to close them a little by squeezing. Are you going to use brass terminals like the originals? I used the modern silver ones because the goal was to get it running well, but I'll replace them with proper looking ones when I get around to it.

I wish all fixes were that easy. No worries. I needed to see a driving ghia to make sure they still existed. Smile

The Honda blew a head gasket which is common on that model. I've had to change one before on another car, and the 3rd time I've done that on a CVCC civic. The 1st time in 1989 it cost me $1000. Why I didn't give up on them at that point I have no idea. It likely needs a new timing belt anyway and that's a good time to do it.

So. The plan is to install what I can in the ghia and then clean up the area and fix the civic. maybe sell the civic in the spring.

I plan on using the old style brass terminals. I think I need to order them. The hardware store only has the new kind. Most of the wiring I have is still pretty supple, but a lot of the wires have been cut and there are a few broken terminals. I'm going to just steal wire of the proper color from the second harness and solder and shrink tube the splices. This continues my philosophy of using what you have instead of buying new if at all possible.
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
The Honda blew a head gasket which is common on that model. I've had to change one before on another car, and the 3rd time I've done that on a CVCC civic. The 1st time in 1989 it cost me $1000. Why I didn't give up on them at that point I have no idea. It likely needs a new timing belt anyway and that's a good time to do it.

Ouch, sorry to hear that. I have to do the exact same thing to my PT Cruiser, and I may start this Wednesday. Here the car has 250,000 miles on it with dozens of runs at the race track (3-4 shift is at 113mph!), then my son blows the head gasket on a date. I have no idea how he did it. But, I know their head gaskets on the 2.4 tend to start leaking coolant a bit after 150k miles due to the gasket material giving out, so perhaps this is a result of such.

Paul
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was putting the door windows in. I thought it would be good to see just how different coupe and convertible door windows are. The answer is dramatically. The mounting holes are lined up in this photo.

kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

REBORN!

I put a key in the ignition, started it up and drove it around the yard today.

Like most zombies it needed a jumpbox. (have you seen the price of batteries lately? I'll get one in the spring)

CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She sure looks pretty...... What kind of headlights are you planning on using?
Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great!
I replaced two batteries this year, couldn't believe how high they are.
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
She sure looks pretty...... What kind of headlights are you planning on using?

Round Very Happy

I have the 4 from the two cars. 2 of them are General Electric and match so if they work I'll use those. I only have the minimum wired up to run. The headlight harness needs a little surgery still.
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

INTERMISSION

Rebuilding the Honda engine.

Whew! Back to the second half of the show.
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the best pictures. I put down some padding for under the carpet. I just used a couple of $7 harbor frieght walking pads. Closed cell poly foam, about 3/8 inch thick. The carpet is TMI salt and pepper gray loop. The fit is pretty good. A good price point. I wanted something that would hide a little dirt.

kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked on the interior a bit more today. Slow going. Used some 8mil black plastic and contact cement for the inside of the door panels.

The in cleaned up and installed the passenger panel (I reglued the pocket in).
I wish the Left door panel were in as good of shape, its waterdamaged, dried up at the bottom and has a speaker hole cut in it so I'm going to see if I can do some surgery to it before I use it.

I installed the seats and drove it around the yard a couple times. Hopefully the last time I need to do this (fun isn't it).

I've been leaving the patina on some things. I hate to erase all the character a car has. The emergency brake handle and shift rod aren't really this brown looking. The flash kind of did that. The electrical tape and steering wheel wrap are kind of growing on me.

QUESTION: I've begun to fit the convertible top frame and I've noticed that I'm missing a bracket on each side of the assembly. I have the hollow curved rod/tube that goes between but not the brackets that go between these 2 holes marked with red arrows in the picture below. Does anyone have a close up picture of this area or can direct me to one. Thanks

kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Searching around a bit. It appears that it's just a 4" twisted bracket that pivots at just the top hole and welds to the round headliner support tube.

I should be able to make those OK.
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not realize that all the rear window parts were made of gold. Lucky I have them. The vert I bought was a rusty mess but apparently this little pile of parts is worth more than I paid for the car.

I started another thread before about the rear window hinges. One of them broke on me when I was trying to unseized it, just with hand pressure. Upon further investigation I found that they are made of zinc! Some people call it pot metal. Anyway it seemed the only option was to buy another or recast the part. Ummm, no.

With the help of a drink or two I got busy on making another out of some spare gate hinges I had sitting in the basement. The function is the same even if it doesn't look quite the same. From what I can tell it is not very visible after it is installed. If it bothers me later I can always fork out the $ for a used one.

So soak these hinges for a good while before putting force on them!!!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: