Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Painting a Thing Panel by Panel?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ernieballbass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Painting a Thing Panel by Panel? Reply with quote

Hey guys. I hope the moderators don't mind me posting this again. I originally posted on the paint and body section of the forum. I didn't really get a lot of advice on it. I figured I would try here...

currently, my daily driver is a 1974 thing. mechanically, it's in great shape. the body is showing some issues though. there is definitely some rust bubbles, and fiberglass patches are starting to crack (po, not me).

i have this idea in my head that i can do the body work and paint the car myself...i blame thesamba...i do have some welding experience. i've been watching every "legit" how-to video on youtube for the last 3 months. there will me some mistakes i'm sure, but that happens with everything you try to learn.

it will be single stage white. i have heard that it's a very forgiving color for a person with little experience. i have a local ppg supplier right around the corner which is nice.

my question is how to go about this. my original plan was to repair/paint panel by panel [earmuffs, doors, fenders, then body]. in fact, i had that method approved by someone at a local body shop. BUT, there is some information to the contrary here on thesamba. i've read that temperature/humidity affects the color and i might end up with multiples shades of white.

would i be better off doing bodywork and primer panel by panel (with sealer), and then shoot everything with paint at a later date?

thanks in advance. i hope i don't come across as an idiot/dreamer. i'm semi-handy when it comes to the mechanical, but this would be my first attempt at paint and body work Shocked
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always this option:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ernieballbass said: would i be better off doing bodywork and primer panel by panel (with sealer), and then shoot everything with paint at a later date?

yup.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
sirswank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

assuming you're spraying it, it will also be less wasteful and less of a pain to clean up if you paint everything at once.
Deckard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can totally do it. No paint booth needed. Heck, no garage needed either...

http://jalopnik.com/5805154/how-i-painted-a-bmw-in-my-tiny-new-york-apartment
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my Thing panel by panel. Pulled the fenders, windshield frame, engine lid and front hood and doors. I did all of those off of the car and then painted the rest as I completed body work and addressed rust - front, left, etc.

I used John Deere Yellow rattle cans which is a good match to the original yellow offered and my car had.

The result came out good.
ernieballbass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
There's always this option:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks semper dad, but not really my style lol. I do get your point. The last thing I want is to end up with a millions shades of white.

I guess that's my primary concern - paint matching.

That BMW is a great story but he ended up wrapping it, not really painting it. And I know that lots of people have done rattles cans with great success, but I really want to learn the more traditional process. Heck, I prolly do have enough money to have someone else do it, but there is something I love about doing things myself & learning a new skill set.

The process of leaning towards in simply prep-to-paint panel by panel and just leaving them off the car (but still drivable for the occasional errand).
1. Earmuffs
2. Rear fenders
3. Doors
4. Bumpers

Then take her off the road for awhile, prep the rest and paint her! This just seems like the easiest/most cost efficient way to do this.
rizzag
Now Wut?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give your original plan a try. What's the worst that can happen? At the end you have a few shades of white and you need to do a scuff and shoot of the whole car? It will still probably look better in the mean while and you can use it at the same time.

Is it the best way to do it? No. But sometimes the best way isn't feasible and you make do.
Riffster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read over in the paint section that it's NOT a good idea to leave a car in primer too long, though perhaps that's less important with an epoxy primer?

Anyone have any experience with how long is "too long" to leave in just primer?

Also - I would presume that after a couple of weeks, you'll need to scuff what's already on there before putting on the next coat?

I ask because I was planning to use the panel approach as well - deal with each piece and paint in primer until I could get around to shooting color on the whole thing. (Or should that be, "the whole Thing"?)

-Larry
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a saying in the body business," if it ain't right, paint it white" The Domeck Brothers do paint all parts off the car but at the same time like all in one weekend. You will waste a lot of paint if you paint at different times. With white you will have a good chance that all the parts will match if you buy all the paint at one time. Don't buy a quart then later buy another later because the mix can be off. We also have a saying "resale red"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't care a gnat's ass if my Thing has a perfect paint job. Hopefully it will get painted this winter and it will likely be panel by panel as I see no reason to down a car to give it a bit of paint. Yes I will waste whatever paint is left on the disposable brushes and rollers I will use, big deal. As far as appearance, by the time it gets a good coat of dust on it my paint will rival the best out there. Wink
MRJEL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Yes I will waste whatever paint is left on the disposable brushes and rollers I will use, Wink

Shocked

I can't believe anyone could be so cruel, and cheap--------------other than me! Twisted Evil

I remember "buying" a 65 beetle in 1978. I had 15 bucks in it. It was painted by the PO when he painted his house! At least he used exterior latex on it! I drove it that way until I sold it to my brother a year later. Then my dad painted it with a Wagner airless sprayer, one panel at a time. He used auto acrylic enamel, and it turned out fine except he never painted the right rear fender! Don't know why, he just never got around to it!

I now have the space, equipment, knowledge, time and such where I can do a "proper" paint job (I get paid for them!). I kind of miss the days when I would paint a car with rattle cans, or a brush! Very Happy

Anyway, ernieballbass,

You will be fine painting that way. Let me suggest you find some single stage fast cure NASON enamel. That is a cheap (inexpensive) paint that tacks off in less than an hour, and can be buffed after 6 hours!

You could also do your repairs while still driving the car (it will run with fenders and ear muffs off), prime with a good seal coat, then shoot it all at once.

Really on a THING, you paint it in pieces anyway. I doubt you will have any trouble with color match, especially with white enamel.
ernieballbass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, worst case scenario I can scuff and paint the outside over again. I might give the panel-by-panel idea a shot. If it was any other color besides white, I don't think I would try it.

Wife says I have to paint the house first. But after that, it's go time Razz
MRJEL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ernieballbass wrote:

Is the house gonna be white by any chance? Cool
ernieballbass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRJEL wrote:
ernieballbass wrote:

Is the house gonna be white by any chance? Cool

Lol. No, unfortunately not. It's one of those colors that only women can see/describe. I guess it's blue-greenish???...

I wish she could just give me a vw paint code.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRJEL wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Yes I will waste whatever paint is left on the disposable brushes and rollers I will use, Wink

Shocked

I can't believe anyone could be so cruel, and cheap--------------other than me! Twisted Evil

I pulled into an small car show at a county fair in the midwest while crossing the plains in my VW van one time, figuring I could get a free hot dog and drink for entering the show. I ended up being given a prize for my paint job. Never told them that it was done with 13 cans of out of date Rustoleum paint that I had gotten for a dollar a can. Elbow grease makes for a good paint job, but even I would stop short of using latex house paint. Crying or Very sad

I will have to check out the NASON enamel.
strelnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ernieballbass wrote:
Well, worst case scenario I can scuff and paint the outside over again. I might give the panel-by-panel idea a shot. If it was any other color besides white, I don't think I would try it.

My plan is to paint the car in flat beige as a desert vehicle. Buy all the paint at once, do parts quickly within reason
jjohnson67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at his sig. Love it!
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="strelnik
My plan is to paint the car in flat beige as a desert vehicle. Buy all the paint at once, do parts quickly within reason[/quote]

I'm going to paint "Hermann" in one of the African shades, probably in pieces in the garage, as I get the parts prepped. I'll make sure I have enough of one batch to keep the color reasonably constant.

BNMike
stevehenderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get rid of fiberglass and since its there take it down to bare metal. Do the body work shoot the epoxy primer 2k thick guide coat sand in your garage. Put it back together. Rent a booth and spray it with urethane base and clear all at once. You will be glad you did. Dirt in paint sucks. Little compressors hoses most home don't work. It dose not cost that much to do it right and your Thing can be worth even more than what you spent.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: