Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW 1600 bogging and/or flat spots. Please Help
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dual kads can be overkill on an engine. you have heard mention go fast parts and those can be just another accessory that can make an engine less reliable. one would have to know your entire engine setup to help you find what your looking for. dont look for many to tell you not to run cads here though you will find most people reccomending dual carbs of some nature. I personally find them to be a weakness for a street motor. the cross linkages sometimes need adjusting and you will need to synchronize them periodically. I would go with a webber progressive and svda setup for the street. the svda should work well with a progressive. one turn adjustment and jet changes are more convenient for a street engine I would rather be driving my car than tuning carbs.
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anyone is still reading this, I'm a bit surprised that the advice didn't include suggesting, with the original setup, that you drive around and try different settings with the distributor. This is the only way I can sort out my timing. I have a route that is in the country and go up and down a few hills and repeat this adjustment over and over. I get a big tank of petrol so I can take the time, and use a ratchet with an extension to tighten and loosen the distributor nut. Obviously doing this you have to be careful of the fan, and you need to be away from traffic. The car should be pretty warmed up too. You start to get the feel of the motor after a while.
Jrbrass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally found a shop that specializes in VW Sand Rails. Right away, they told me to go back to my two Dual 40mm carbs. They explained to me about the jetting process and that I should have never gone with the Pic 30 carb. Well, I picked it up from the shop and all I can say is wow. What a difference. It runs so much better, no hesitation at all from start to finish. No hesitation accelerating from first and down shifting and picking it back up from second. Now my Sand Rail gets up and moves, I didn't realize it then, but it was a dog with no power with the pic 30 carb. Putting the two dual 40mm carbs, it practically took out the oversized cam. Anyone that is having a problem or needs a great shop with great mechanics, I would recommend Montz Auto Renditions in Phoenix, Arizona. After they were through with it, it was like getting a whole new Sand Rail.
Jrbrass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I contacted Doug's Bugs and Bunnies in Mesa AZ concerning my problem. They immediately gave me a 140 main jet and a 60 idle jet. I put them in and now the hesitation is practically gone. Wow, what a difference. Now I can at least drive it around in the nice weather and enjoy it. Going to take it in to them in about a week or so to have them fine tune it. So, the main jet I took out was a standard 120, put in a 140. The standard idle jet was a 50, put in a 60. I wanted to post this in case it helps someone else down the line. Thank you all for all your help and suggestions.
Jrbrass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drs1023 wrote:
Don't assume what lift you have onto the camshaft. Can youmeasure the lift on the cam? You can almost nail it by measuring the total travel of an intake and/ or exhaust valve- try just one first as dual pattern VW cams are not so common. Set (by magnet) a dial indicator on a fully closed valve. Temporarily close the lash to zero so there's no slop. Zero the indicatorand open that valve fully & slowly noting the highest reading.
Now call a reputable camshaft company and give them this info along with your rocker ratio. Then you will be a little more knowledgable as to whether the twin 40's are adequate.

I just want to drive it around town, not race it or take it off road or even the dunes. Just looking for a leisurely drive where it doesn't bog down when I'm trying to accelerate. If it would run better putting back the two dual 40mm carbs, then I'll do it. Just want to use whatever setup will work the best with the cam that's in it. No, I do not know anything about the cam or who made it, all I know is supposedly the cam is creating the flat spot/hesitation. That is what I was told.
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrbrass wrote:
Would you step it up to a 125, 127.5 or a 130. Not sure what size the other jets are, is the size stamped on them as well? So, seeing my main jet is only a 120, what combination size of jets should I use. Please use the proper term for the jets, I'm a newbie. Will be trying to get the jets you guys recommend on Monday. Once again, that all of you for caring. :-)

Read my post above - it's all in there. The jets come in steps of 2.5, so you get 120, 122.5, 125, 127.5, 130 and so on. Each step changes the fuel flow by about 2%. The number is the actual hole size in mm, so a 127.5 has a hole 1.275mm in diameter, and a 55 idle jet has a hole size of 0.55mm.

The (very tiny) numbers are stamped on each jet.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't assume what lift you have onto the camshaft. Can youmeasure the lift on the cam? You can almost nail it by measuring the total travel of an intake and/ or exhaust valve- try just one first as dual pattern VW cams are not so common. Set (by magnet) a dial indicator on a fully closed valve. Temporarily close the lash to zero so there's no slop. Zero the indicatorand open that valve fully & slowly noting the highest reading.
Now call a reputable camshaft company and give them this info along with your rocker ratio. Then you will be a little more knowledgable as to whether the twin 40's are adequate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jrbrass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different VW repair shop is telling me to get rid of my 30pict and put the two Dual 40's mm back on. That the Dual 40's can and will solve the problem. I'm going to try changing the jets first as suggested here in the forum, but if it doesn't work would you guys go back to the two Dual 40's setup due to the oversize cam?
Jrbrass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies, it's very much appreciated. Love all the VW people wanting to help, what a great group. OK, took off the brand new 30/31 pict carb out of frustration. Wanted to see what size main jet was in it. Pulled it out and it only had a 120 in it. So, sounds like from you all I need a larger size main jet. Would you step it up to a 125, 127.5 or a 130. Not sure what size the other jets are, is the size stamped on them as well? So, seeing my main jet is only a 120, what combination size of jets should I use. Please use the proper term for the jets, I'm a newbie. Will be trying to get the jets you guys recommend on Monday. Once again, that all of you for caring. Smile
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrbrass wrote:
So, if I am reading all the comments right, sounds like adjust my timing to 30 or 32 advance first (already tried adjusting carb), then adjust the accelerator pump, maybe a slightly larger main jet. If I adjust the timing to 30 or 32 degrees advance, will that be too hot? I just got a advance timing light, so turn the knob to 30 or 32, then rev it up, turn dist where the line lines up with the crack of the crank case, right? If it is already set to 10 degrees, then I just need to go 20 more? I really don't have a tach, this can be done by ear, right? Sorry, too early not thinking clearly. :-) Thank you all for your help, very much appreciated.

Try it this way.

1. Use the 009 you have now. Set it to 30BTDC at 3000+ rpm (the 009 comes "all in" at about 25-2600 so we use 3000+ just to be certain). But you have to be sure where your TDC mark is - there are at least four different stock pulleys with different markings on them. If you are not sure, pull the right side rocker cover off, and turn the engine so both valves are loose (shut) for No1 cylinder (front right cylinder). Put a straw down No1 plug hole and feel for the piston top. Rock the engine back and forwards till you get the centre of the "null" spot - the piston will not move for a couple of degrees when you rock the engine over TDC, and you want the middle of that. Once you have that spot, look at the pulley marks. Hopefully you'll have one of them at TDC and then you KNOW which to use. If not, email me (web site below) and I'll help you find the right marks. Now set your light to 30 degrees and set the timing (or make a mark 46.5mm to the right of TDC around the pulley rim if you prefer to use your timing light that way).

2. Check the jetting of the H30/31 - they usually come out of the box with very lean jetting (an emissions thing) and a too-rich idle jet so it wont stall at lower revs. Makes the engine hard to tune, and when using a 009, you HAVE to set the carb on the rich side to compensate some for the lack of vacuum advance. You need to check the jetting because it could have anything in it now (POs experiments). For a 1600 with a 009, you can try a 55 idle, 127.5 (might need a 130) main jet, a 125 air correction jet and a 65 power jet. That should get you close. The idle and power jets are interchangeable so you might be able to use one for the other, if the sizes are right. Now set the accel pump to max squirt and make sure that the squirt goes straight down the throat - not splashing on the way down. Twist the delivery tube a little if needed. For info, the idle and power jets look like brass bolt heads in the right side of the carb. The idle jet sits in a protrusion (channel) heading to the bottom of the carb, and it's often angles towards the rear of the car - that should help you identify them. The main jet is in the bottom of the float bowl. The air correction jet is vertical - between the float bowl and the throat - you have to take the top off the carb to get at it - about an inch long as it has an emulsion (mixing tube) attached under it. As posted earlier, the complete tuneup guide for any bug using one of the "two adjusting screw" carbs like yours is on my web site at www.vw-resource.com/34pict3.html

3. Drive it - hopefully it will run OK for you.

Yes - you are usually better off with a vacuum distributor- SVDA (set up to run with the carb you are using) but the method above will hopefully get you enjoying the car on the road, rather than getting frustrated with it in the driveway.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrbrass wrote:
OK, It's a brand new Solex H 30/31, IND BRAS, Dist has a JF4, then an arrow to the left, has a number of 0 231 178 009, then lower on the left is 085.

I do not what size of cam or make, but you can hear it.

Hope that helps, I read it in the dark with a flash light, thanks for your help.

I ran a bone stock 1600DP that had a Solex H30/31PICT and found it ran best with a 019 mechanical.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is an interesting read.

Two points I wanted to make...
1) The 30/31 carb uses venturi vacuum for distributor advance. This is weak vacuum and will not work with most SVDA distributors. You need to use an earlier SVA (SVSA) distributor like the 205T if you want to use vacuum advance.

2) The venturi vacuum used by the 205T is less prone to problems with a loppy cam. Cams with big overlap cause issues with intake vacuum and ported vacuum. The 30/31 and 205T combo uses venturi vacuum which is based on the volume/speed of the air through the venturi. Higher rpms means more airflow and more vacuum. As long as the engine is running above idle there is venturi vacuum that varies with engine rpms.

So you can either make the 009 you have work better, or look in the classifieds for a 205T/M/K distributor and hook it up to your carb.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_Bug_n wrote:

sb001 has a superb posting and a chart of carb and distributor combos!

Credit where credit is due, that was Andy's (glutamodo) chart, and I apologize: where I said the 30/31 was "mostly supposed to be used as a replacement for the earlier carbs which originally used a different (SVDA or DVDA) distributor" I actually meant to say "VACUUM-ONLY distributor."
My only point was that some folks might misunderstand that statement in the chart about the H30/31 not being a good fit for SVDA or DVDA distributors to mean it is supposed to be run with mechanical-only distributors like the 009 and that is wrong, although people do it (ask busdriver79!!) I did not phrase it very well so apologies again.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This entire conversation reminds me of when I first started messing with VW's back in the early 70's. The engines look so simple that I thought any go-fast item could just be bolted on or added in. I have run the entire scale of mixing and matching parts to save a buck, make it go faster, or get better fuel mileage. What I found out is that VW engineers were a lot smarter than I originally thought. Yep - lots of add-ons are out there which will make your engine purr, scream, hiss, spit, cough, etc., and your mixture of parts seems like a perfect combination.

Fix your timing and carburetor adjustment first. And to Go-Bug-N - spot on! Put the engine as close to factory set-up as you can with what you have before letting any mechanic talk you into more parts. Step by step you can adjust for cam lift and separation, electronic ignition (which I love), re-jetting carb(s), etc. If you can "hear" that the cam is not for street use, then it may have been just thrown in without hi-performance lifters to match, valves may not be ground to accept more fuel quickly (3-angle grinds help), etc. I have run Bosch 009's - I even have a complete back up with electronic ignition in my on-board tool box in case I am stranded by the side of the road - but I don't run it as an everyday unit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Go_Bug_n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When all else fails, put the motor back to what it was when it first rolled off the VW dealer's lot. That way, you KNOW it won't hiccup or bog. Many troubles are caused by PO's who bought go-fast crap from EMPI and JC Whitney and put them on.

Just my opinion, the VW engine is a rather sensitive thing. Anything from the smallest vacuum leak to mongrelized carb and 009 combos will make life miserable for everyday street driving.

sb001 has a superb posting and a chart of carb and distributor combos! Maybe you might be able to keep the aftermarket cam but, again, I'd suggest you get the motor back to pure stock if you want a drama-free engine. The only genuine improvement would be a Pertronix electronic ignition. Now THAT has proven to be a huge improvement in my experience.
Jrbrass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if I am reading all the comments right, sounds like adjust my timing to 30 or 32 advance first (already tried adjusting carb), then adjust the accelerator pump, maybe a slightly larger main jet. If I adjust the timing to 30 or 32 degrees advance, will that be too hot? I just got a advance timing light, so turn the knob to 30 or 32, then rev it up, turn dist where the line lines up with the crack of the crank case, right? If it is already set to 10 degrees, then I just need to go 20 more? I really don't have a tach, this can be done by ear, right? Sorry, too early not thinking clearly. Smile Thank you all for your help, very much appreciated.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

Now according to this chart the H30/31 was never really designed to be run with SVDA and DVDA distributors (both mechanical + vacuum distributors.) THis would seem to indicate that the H30/31 was made to run with the 009 it.

That's my chart and my comment... which derives, in part, from this post:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185095

...and the assumption is NOT that it was "designed" to run with an 009. No, if you look at that post above, you'll see that it is internally set up quite like the 1970 version of the 30PICT-3 for the vacuum advance... and as such the ideal distributor would be a 113905205T, although the M and K distributors work fine with it as well provided they are timed properly. Those are vacuum-only distributors.

-Andy
camaroboi13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lustig69 wrote:
Just get a 010 or 019 and call it done.

Try reading the topic next time Rolling Eyes

FFL GUN DEALER! PM ME FOR SOCAL TRANSFERS!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get a 010 or 019 and call it done.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
dcnjoe60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrbrass wrote:
OK, thanks for all the answers. Here's where I am confused. As I stated earlier, my 1600 doesn't have a stock cam. It has a bigger cam, size I do not know but I was told the cam is the problem. Now I have found this quote on several websites, Cam overlap can cause a drop in vacuum, and obviously, the vacuum advance on a stock carb and distributor won’t work together properly. So, what distributor do I use with a 30pic and a larger cam so it won't bog or have flat spots?

The cam along with other engine modifications can change the vacuum, but since you are running an 009 distributor, you don't have a vacuum advance, so that should not be your problem. Most likely, you are going to need to increase the accelerator pump on the carb to squirt more fuel to kick the rpms higher when you hit the gas so that the mechanical advance kicks in quicker (it only kicks in at higher rpms).

Hower before doing that, and let me repeat: before doing that, you need to tune your engine and make sure it isn't something as simple as a minor adjustment to timing or fuel mixture. If you are new to VWs, my advice would be whenever having engine difficulties with hesitation or rough running, always retune your engine first before. Since you don't have points, that involves adjusting the idle and the timing. Again, follow the steps for you setup found at http://www.vw-resource.com and you cannot go wrong.

BTW, like many, Rob and Dave (from the website) are not fond of 009 distributors, but unlike many that tell you just to replace it, they tell you how to time it. The reason so many prefer an SVDA (single vacuum dual advance) distributor is improved gas mileage and performance, but that is only true if the vacuum single is matched to your carb.

Putting the wrong SVDA distributor on for a particular carb is no better than an 009. With your H30/009 combination, you should be able to get it to run very well, regardless of the cam. What might suffer is fuel economy compared to an SVDA, but what's a couple mpgs versus the cost of a new distributor, particularly if it needs work to make it match your engine?

From what you have said, the carb/distributor combination should give acceptable performance. The cam should not be causing this problem. Start with the basics of adjusting the idle and timing correctly and then see how it performs. VWs have a reputation of being economical to operate. You don't have to keep throwing money at yours just because some garage is telling you to replace everything under the sun.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: