Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My story on getting hosed on my bug
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fahrbomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: My story on getting hosed on my bug Reply with quote

So some of you may have seen my intro thread a year ago, i'm sure you won't remember.

I was new to beetles and desperately wanted a car to work on with my father and my son. My dad had one in his younger days and I always liked them. I thought it would be a great way for us to all spend time and create memories with the the intention of the car being passed onto my son.

I was admittedly clueless but set out with the best intentions(fast track to suckerville). Found one locally, seller told me it was a rust free car. Checked it out in person and car looked decent from the outside. Interior looked clean and I didn't think it odd that carpet was screwed down in the inside. I saw maybe one tiny spot in the bottom of a pan that I thought could be a problem. I didn't think to check the luggage tray because everything I read about was inspect heater channels!! They didn't look bad to me but again being a noob what the hell did I know. Car ran fine and I was excited for the adventure I might just embark begin this car and my family. I overpaid at a whopping 6k for what I thought was essentially a rust free driving car.

Well shit hit the fan shortly after I began to do some minor wrenching on the car. I uncovered a rusted rotten luggage tray, a completely rotten half pan and a major oil leak that had been covered up with some clear sealant to prevent it from dripping. To be honest I was heartbroken. I couldn't believe it happened to me, first time I've been scammed. But I know the deal buyer beware, chalk it up as a learning experience and I'm ok with the poor decision I made. Shortly thereafter my dad was no longer able to work on the car. he was the one with the mechanical knowledge so I was now very much alone with tackling this project. I began to ponder doing it all myself, cutting, welding etc. got books, bug me videos, even tried to find local metal fab classes, etc...I finally came to the conclusion I'm in over my head and just decided to cut my losses and sell.

Car has been for sale for a while. I keep my own scorecard in life and don't take advantage of people so I've been honest with every person who has shown interest. No takers and I get it, it's a tough sale regardless of how little I'd take for it. But I don't care, i am up front about it with the issues I know of and am fortunate enough to that the financial loss on the car is not going to have any real impact in me.

But this is where i become angry. I happened to get contacted today by a potential buyer. Talk on the phone he says he wants it 100% and as I'm eager to dump this car he throws out a number and I say show up with cash and we will do it. Says he will be out of town and will have his wife give a deposit exit weekend pick up the car when he gets back. But it's weird, I know the phone number. I check some of the records I had from the prior owner. Sure enough the same fucker who ripped me off thought he was going to buy the car back for pennies and then do it again to someone else. I might have been foolish when I bought the car but this was one dumb ballsy dude to try this, especially considering I have his phone and address.

So beware all, while most of the VW community i have met are good folks, some really just aren't.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, have you decided which path you're going to take? The high road and just accept the deposit, or are you setting the table for that cold plate of sweet, sweet revenge?
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why didn't you name the scumbag? Your post is completely pointless without that info!
We do not need to be reminded that there are crooks in the world. We need to know who they are.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Fahrbomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although revenge is sweet and 10 years ago that probably would have been my path, it's just not who i am today. I like to lay my head down at night believing I don't wrong others and help out where i can...

There will be no deposit. I called him out on it and lets just say the ongoing texts came to a screaching halt.
Fahrbomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
So why didn't you name the scumbag? Your post is completely pointless without that info!
We do not need to be reminded that there are crooks in the world. We need to know who they are.

His name is Mike Baumann of Westbury, NY.
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you man, take the high road.

Sorry you can't continue the project.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iadubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel somewhat in your boat about not being "read" enough on bugs before buying. I feel the seller that sold me mine hid a lot and there should have been things I knew to look for and didn't (spare tire well damage from a front hit on a "never wrecked" bug, missing fresh air box and all ducting, electrical issues, missing washer bottle) they knew about.

How do I know that he knew? He gave me the haynes manual with every issue I have had with my bug highlighted and pages dog eared.

I just chalk it up to life and not being as prepared as I should have been and I figure

Now that I've had this car apart many times I know them inside and out and know just about everything to look for in the future when I buy my next one.

Honestly, I'd sell it back to him, confront him when he stops with the cash and let him drive it away and call it a loss.
torsionbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a story that has played out countless times, across all makes and models. shady cover-up shenanigans are even more prevalent in higher valued cars. think vintage muscle cars, porsches, etc. a lot more money to be made in those markets, but concept is the same. heck, real estate suffers from the same problem, and the stakes are even higher there. the key to success is in being an informed buyer. take your time, do the research, don't buy until you're really truly prepared and ready. too many folks let romance and emotion cloud their judgement.

[air cooled vw's] are no longer suitable for the general public. The owner has to be be able to maintain the car. And that is after fixing all the deferred maintenance items and ill-conceived modifications. If you can't do those things you are pretty much screwed.
Fahrbomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know i'm not the first guy to get scammed on a car, it happens and that I have come to terms with, live and learn.

The fact that this clown was fraudelently presenting himself to buy it back, claiming he had a wife who would come leave a deposit, asking me questions on the phone to which he already knew the answers... that is where i get angry.

And i'd sooner light it on fire just to roast marshmallows before i'd sell it back to him.
TheAmazingDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fahrbomb wrote:
And i'd sooner light it on fire just to roast marshmallows before i'd sell it back to him.

You bring the marshmallows, I've got the chocolate and graham crackers.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd sell it back to him for $8,000. Talk to him like you've never met. Tell him it's the nicest car ever. Ready for shows. Bring cash. See how he responds haha.
Rob711
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd put a couple of cups of fine sand in the oil, loosen the brake lines at the master cylinder, make the fan belt loose as possible, way advance the timing, then give the po a call but tell him he has to pick it up at night.

But I haven't gotten to the point in my life where I turn the other cheek.
Rob
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nice looking car.
Pan and luggage shelf not a huge deal for someone with welding knowledge or for a shop. Have you ever gone to a body shop and asked them what it would cost to install them? Those sheet metal parts are readily available new. Though I don't blame you for just wanting it gone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob711 wrote:
I'd put a couple of cups of fine sand in the oil, loosen the brake lines at the master cylinder, make the fan belt loose as possible, way advance the timing, then give the po a call but tell him he has to pick it up at night.

But I haven't gotten to the point in my life where I turn the other cheek.
Rob

Why be half-assed about it?
Hell, just put some arsenic in his coffee and be sure that the job gets done. Rolling Eyes
Rob711
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would warm my heart to hear this person was killed in the car he screwed me over in. World has enough scum bags, if u kill just one, you make a difference.
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fact is Mike Baumann really thinks you're an idiot. Cant fault a guy for that,its his opinion.. but I would try to prove him wrong.If your intent on taking the high road that's an admirable position, except when selling cars.The method is to disclose the issue if asked specifically,when you offer the issues as part of the advertising you tend to accept defeat before the game begins. "Caveat Emptor' in Latin means buyer beware,the weight of the chance falls on his shoulders. Exercise the sellers right clearly,be honest and answer questions,dont offer information.

BTW, I went to High School on the Island with a guy named Mike Baumann...what are the odds?

iowegian wrote:

Hell, just put some arsenic in his coffee and be sure that the job gets done. Rolling Eyes

Figures an "Old Lace" like you would rock the arsenic..

Last edited by johnnypan on Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just fix the car instead of complaining about it? It's 40+ years old, rust and oil leaks happen... Be a good learning experience. Cheap wire feeds are available and it's just running a bunch of tack welds basicly to weld it in.

If you didn't know where to look for rust and oil leaks it's your own fault. Silicone or not you should have seen it. Also when you purchase a vintage car ya gotta expect to crawl under it and look it over. I'm sorry to say but it's your own fault you didn't see the issues. I'm guessing the silicone is on the pushrods or somewhere like that.

Kids these days can't work on cars, it's sad.

Good luck!
Fahrbomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
Fact is Mike Baumann really thinks you're an idiot. Cant fault a guy for that,its his opinion.. but I would try to prove him wrong.If your intent on taking the high road that's an admirable position, except when selling cars.The method is to disclose the issue if asked specifically,when you offer the issues as part of the advertising you tend to accept defeat before the game begins. "Caveat Emptor' in Latin means buyer beware,the weight of the chance falls on his shoulders. Exercise the sellers right clearly,be honest and answer questions,dont offer information.

BTW, I went to High School on the Island with a guy named Mike Baumann...what are the odds?

iowegian wrote:

Figures an "Old Lace" like you would rock the arsenic..

I guess you didn't read the part where I stated in my OP that I get it was my fault and I understand the buyer beware concept. I will say that I did flat out ask about rust and his response was all lies. No matter though because I should have known not to trust him and had better preparations in knowing how to properly look over the car. Only the second used car I've bought, first vintage vehicle, so like I said chalk it up as a learning experience.
Fahrbomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob711 wrote:
It would warm my heart to hear this person was killed in the car he screwed me over in. World has enough scum bags, if u kill just one, you make a difference.

lol, I'll have to check my scorecard for that column... Laughing
Fahrbomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekacpuc wrote:
Why not just fix the car instead of complaining about it? It's 40+ years old, rust and oil leaks happen... Be a good learning experience. Cheap wire feeds are available and it's just running a bunch of tack welds basicly to weld it in.

If you didn't know where to look for rust and oil leaks it's your own fault. Silicone or not you should have seen it. Also when you purchase a vintage car ya gotta expect to crawl under it and look it over. I'm sorry to say but it's your own fault you didn't see the issues. I'm guessing the silicone is on the pushrods or somewhere like that.

Kids these days can't work on cars, it's sad.

Good luck!

I agree it is sad that most folks don't know how to work on cars. The reason I'm not taking it on is because my dad was supposed to be there with me and my son to do it, but he is no longer able. He had the know how, I do not. I've talked to enough folks to know that in a lot of cases projects like this get abandoned and I sure as shit don't want a beetle in pieces in my garage. Free time has lessened for me in recent months and it's just time to move on from it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: