Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Got some new paint!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dynamite_Goat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Brian wrote:
those are some pretty shoes there. Whats the combo?

15" Benz rims and KOs. Those ain't no Graibbers.

After all the failed attempts with the radiator in that location with subie swaps. It will be intresting to see how hot it gets.

You build is rad and I hope the best for it!

Thanks. I learned a lot from others on the radiator set up. We'll see how it works once I get it out of the garage. Those are actually 14" Vanagon wheels with BFG A/T tires.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GMATech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Sounds like you've got the wiring all figured out, but if you run into anything with the GM side of things I can help.
PA safety and emissions inspector
General Motors guru
Dynamite_Goat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a few miles on the road and the bus runs great BUT. . .the radiator is coming out of the engine compartment and going underneath. . . .

I simply can't get enough air flow through the engine compartment to keep it cool, even with the dual electric fans. If I run the fans as pullers, they turn the engine compartment into an oven and the intake air temperature goes off the charts. If I run the fans as pushers, the IAT stays low but the fans are completely inefficient and can't keep the motor cool - even with the battery tray cut out to allow additional airflow.

I do think that these issues could be resolved with various air scoops, vents, etc. but I'm heeding the advice of others and bailing out on this before I have hundreds of hours wrapped up in R&D on something that just isn't that necessary in the whole scheme of things. Plus it'll be nice to have that space back for my aux battery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dynamite_Goat wrote:
I went with a 2.4L Ecotec VVT out of a 2008 Cobalt. Thought about the Subaru, but I'm already familiar with the GM stuff and really like this motor. I'm also shooting to make it California smog legal and figured I would have a better chance with this motor.

I thought that California frowned on other-than original stuff in the engine room. Will it even be possible to make this smog-legal in CA?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dynamite_Goat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Dynamite_Goat wrote:
I went with a 2.4L Ecotec VVT out of a 2008 Cobalt. Thought about the Subaru, but I'm already familiar with the GM stuff and really like this motor. I'm also shooting to make it California smog legal and figured I would have a better chance with this motor.

I thought that California frowned on other-than original stuff in the engine room. Will it even be possible to make this smog-legal in CA?

Yes, if you do your homework. OBD1 is pretty easy. For OBD2 you need to have all emissions systems in place and all of the readiness tests working. This basically requires transplanting the entire fuel and emissions system from the donor car. I'm ready to go - just need the blessing of the smog referee once I can get it to run cool.

For all the negative myths perpetuated on the internet about California, it's actually pretty simple if you just follow the rules. Once you get past the smog stuff, no annual safety inspections is a nice bonus.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: