Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp shoebox/exchanger/thermostat install
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Last Triumph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted the shoebox first then the exchanger second.
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetleman217 wrote:
You have it on correctly. That end of the spring pushes against the outside of the shroud. After you install the shroud, you squeeze the spring on its other side onto the bracket that holds the air ring, thus creating a spring load that wants to push the air ring out of the shroud. The thermo is what holds it in when cold.

Yes, many thanks. Snort pointed that out as well.

I should point out I'm on a totally different 36HP motor than the one depicted in the pictures that started this thread. This one is for my '57 oval. But still I have thermostat, heater box and shoe box issues.

This project has taken way to long. Partially because I'm busy, but mostly because of my own incompetence. I'm not a mechanic, but I do play one from time to time in the garage.

So after trying to cobble heater boxes together from a lot of rusty Cleveland junk, I gave up and bought the CIP1 replacements. Not as thick as originals, but they'll have to do.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The real challenge has been shoe boxes and flappers. You'd think there'd be tons of them out there. And maybe there are, but they seems scarce to me. I did manage to get a decent pair together from about five or six rough sets I managed to grab over the past two years.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So I was getting ready to bolt it all back together and I realized the fan shroud was a 40 horse stale. No hole for the mechanical choke cable. Not to worry on that. I have several 36HP fan shrouds. When I get it cleaned and painted I'll take a pic of it all going together for shoe box aficionados.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: