Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My New '67 21-window (Double Slider)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimmyH79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: My New '67 21-window (Double Slider) Reply with quote

Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce you to my new '67 21 Window Deluxe Dual-Slider. Just got unloaded from the truck recently and I have begun an inventory of the photos, parts, receipts, notes etc. the PO had kept in boxes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For some background my first car ever was a 79 Westphalia (I know.. I know..) but I always new I wanted a 21 window. Because I am honest with myself that I am not a talented metal worker, interior guy etc. I have spent a long time just saving up money and finding the right bus to buy and person to help me get this thing looking more like it used to (sea blue / cumulus white):

Thanks to those that helped me during the hunt and to thesamba community in general for being such an awesome resource.

Lots more details to follow once I have a better chance to dig through everything that is (and isn't there) but I wanted to start a thread mostly for my own benefit to chronicle all the work that will be done. I am sure I will have a ton of questions throughout the process so stand by.

The general plan is to remove basically all of the interior that is in there now (including large areas of dynamat..dvd player, backup camera..) and go with a mesh grey repro since aero papyrus is a bit hard to come by at this point. Also, respray it back to the factory colors and fix all of the missing exterior items (fried egg turn signals, correct taillights, reinstall back up lights etc). Only item I am debating is bumpers - will for sure go back to white but I do somewhat like the look of blades.. we'll see once some paint is on it.

For now because of budget constraints the drivetrain will probably largely remain as-is because it seems to run well and the lower is pretty minor (3.5 or 4.5") but will definitely try and figure out a way to get some stock wheels on there over the disc brakes that are on all 4. I would prefer something a bit more stock but hey if it already has a bigger engine, disc brakes and an A-1 sidewinder I think my money is better spent fixing other things!

I'll update everyone on the progress, the plan is for it to head to the shop sometime in late November or December for the work to begin and will of course take some time. Also, I'll work on smaller pictures for future posts.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I had heard about that Bus from the member Uzi on here.
It's a really rare combination so glad to hear it will be going back to stock colors and style.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like he has already started on swaping out the custom interior. Someone would probably take that off your hands, lots of buses in the UK running around with custom seats etc...

Get rid of those ground effect panels on the side and your almost there.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....and the bullet turn signals.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that your returning it to stock. I know that is a very rare bus with an amazing MCode list.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your purchase.

I would love to own a double slider anything ....except a Panel Smile .

X2 on the removal of the ground effect kit.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hats of to you for returning her to stock. That is gonna be one real nice bus that is lucky you have found it.
TimmyH79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to worry, the running boards are definitely going away, fortunately they are just bolt-ons

I know it has been posted before but just to keep the info in the same place, below is a picture and decode of the M-Code plate for those interested:

Descriptions:

Planned Production Date: 06 July 1967
Colors: Cumulus White / Sea Blue / Aero Papyrus
Destination: Germany (interesting)

024 Sealed beam head lamps and red tail lights USA, Canada
041 Unknown
047 Two reversing lights
081 Split front seats (walk-through) Microbus and Deluxe
081 LHD Ambulance with loading doors on left (says only until 1959 but this seems the only indication of 2 doors) Ambulance
097 Radio - Emden model
113 Safari windshields
119 Eberspacher BN4 gas heater All except Ambulance
144 Side windows of safety laminated glass Ambulance, Export
164 Sliding door - Deluxe, 1960's 241,244
386 North American equipment

Unfortunately the OG safaris are gone (has wolfgang's now) and no sign of the heater or radio but the ambulance fan is in there and appears to work!

Seems almost like it was ordered as some sort of Deluxe/Ambulance mashup and I am really excited to get it on the road and drive it!

Previous:
'67 21-Window Dual-Slider
'79 Westfalia
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post that m-code plate here.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=231136&highlight=code+envy

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to me, in the first pic with the rocker whatever the hell it is called, it looks like a baywindow.
Vintagespeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that bus is loaded with cool mcodes.

when I first saw the bus my stoumach turned over, but then when I saw you're going to restore her to og specs, I was very pleased to read that.

keep up the good work, and keep those pictures comming!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question from another turkis slider owner: Did you drive it first, before your quest to return it back to stock? Gonna be a long time to drive it once you start the work.
TimmyH79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@pondoras box: It is actually on the m-code envy thread already and funny enough a year or two ago when I saw it there I thought to myself.. man I would love to own that bus Wink . It is about halfway down the first page posted by Uzi (who actually helped me with this deal - big thanks to him for the assistance and the ECMSAS for including the ultra rare, '67 only, 2/3 length full fold down middle seat to make sure the match stays together).

@quartermilecamel: I have driven it a few times, couldn't help myself! Picked it up at a parking lot about 3 miles from the house and drove the kids around the block a couple times. Drove pretty well, the non-OG (of course) spedometer only reads 17 miles so I think it hasn't been driven much since restoration. Only things are the aftermarket tilt steering wheel (soon to be removed!) is sloppy and the brakes don't seem all the way there so wouldn't feel comfortable going much more than 35 without having it gone through a bit... I guess the good news of saving up for a decade and looking for 2 years is that I have a ton of patience for this project - I am sure it will be needed!

Previous:
'79 Westfalia
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimmyH79 wrote:
I guess the good news of saving up for a decade and looking for 2 years is that I have a ton of patience for this project - I am sure it will be needed!

Patience is a good thing Wink especially in our hobby. Take your time and make it safe. Good luck on the rest of the build.
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get it running safe and drive it like it is for a while and keep buying the pieces you need to do the resto proper.

Enjoy driving it, when you have the parts it needs to do it the way you want then pull it off the road and the resto would go a lot quicker and you get more seat time!

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
2true
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Bus!
TimmyH79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay first question - was going to post this in the middle seat thread but figured this is kind of a unique issue to this seat so will post here first and see if a response.

I am having trouble figuring out how the 2/3 middle seat would get lined up in the brackets on the floor because I believe the legs are offset due to the armrest being on the driver's side.

Might be a little hard to see in the pictures but basically if I line up the driver's side of the seat with the mounting point on the floor the middle is a bit off and the passenger side is not close (the driver side sliding door does close without hitting armrest). I took these pictures kind of quickly and will be able to get more next week but if anyone has some ideas on how this may have been attached originally it would be appreciated.

In the absence of any OE parts I would assume fashioning some different brackets or moving the attachment points on the floor would be the only real options but I am open to all suggestions, thanks in advance

Previous:
'79 Westfalia
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like it would be a seat for a "cargo doors on the left" bus. The seat being a short one would rest up to the right side wall (or sliding door in your case).

I'm guessing that bus would have a double flipper seat though...

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
That looks like it would be a seat for a "cargo doors on the left" bus. The seat being a short one would rest up to the right side wall (or sliding door in your case).

I'm guessing that bus would have a double flipper seat though...

If that floor is original then I would agree. Usually they left off the far right plate on a 2/3, but '67s might have been different. Time to start looking for the ever elusive double flipper my friend.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
der58SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a better shot of the bullet signal? It looks like a point to me in the pictures. Not the standard lens.

KCCO!!

Strictly Vintage 2s
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: