Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 beetle ignition wiring question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssumners
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: 1960 beetle ignition wiring question Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This Beetle needs some electrical help and I am not an expert. The engine will turn over but with the key in "run" position there is no voltage to the coil. Referencing the ignition with 3 leads the 9 o'clock(30) position is to the battery, 3 o'clock (15/54) is straight to the coil and 6 o'clock exits up and to the right in a larger bundle of wires - to the dash? Is there another wire that should go to the ignition? In "run" position there is continuity between 15/54 and 50. Can someone post a picture of a similar ignition they believe is wired correctly?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9'oclock (30) should be going to the fuse on the far right (as in the direction of travel) side along with a wire to the headlight switch that then heads back to the regulator and then to the starter (30). I don't see that the 30 wire is connected to the fusebox in your picture. That yellow wire nut is bypassing this connection it looks like

15/54 wire goes to the next fuse to the left and then back to the coil (15). I don't see that it is connected to the ignition (I see it loose). That yellow wire is not right.

50 wire goes directly to the starter (50)

Have you had a look at the wiring diagram here:

and the key is here:

both are found in the wiring section here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt1.php

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]

Here are a couple of pics that may help out. They are from my 1960 bug which is pretty much original. You will notice that the switch has the screw terminals like yours.

The 30 position (on my switch the 6 o'clock position) is powered by a red wire that comes from the voltage regulator to the headlight switch, then to the fuse box (#1) and then back to the ignition switch. This is how it would have been wired from the factory. Sometimes these have been rewired so that the hot wire goes first to the ignition switch and then to the light switch. Your wiring has been changed with that red wire that appears to have been spliced. I can't really tell from your photo what has been done there.

The 50 terminal wire (which on my switch is the 9 o'clock position) goes back to the starter and is energized when the key is turned to the start position.

The 15/54 wire (black) goes from the ignition switch to the second fuse in the fuse box and from there another black wire feeds the coil. This wire is energized when the key is in the on position. From your photo I see a black wire not connected to the ignition switch. It appears to be connected to the fuse box but check that as well. That is an original wire and you can tell that by how it has the solder connection point. That should be connected to the 15/54 terminal. I have no idea what or where that yellow wire that you presently have connected to the switch is going to.

A quick check is to connect the black wire to the 15/54 terminal and turn the key on and check the coil for power. Then figure out what the yellow wire is doing.

And as suggested by nlornston study the wiring diagram. That is a very valuable resource. Often with these cars, previous owners have gotten very "creative" in their wiring repairs. Your car may have had some such repairs done to it. You have to figure what they have done and try to get things back to factory.
ssumners
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: 1960 bug wiring Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! -the bug has been rewired back to original and seems to be starting correctly now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: