Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The front truck liner material
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teafortwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: The front truck liner material Reply with quote

For a 1973 super beetle, the front trunk liners are very expensive, even if you can source one.
Does anyone know what material the trunk liner is made of and where might it be sourced?

Thank you.
1970VWGUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my PO used carpeting....It looks alright...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1970VWGUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link...

This stuff it what is known as masonite...

They used 1/8 thick and covered it with cloth or carpet material.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AuOCQ.aprPOXoV...=yfp-t-900

buy the masonite and get some of this speaker Covering (carpeting)

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_...ing+carpet

It would be nice if you could borrow someones original to use for a pattern.

Cut the masonite...Lay it out on the carpeting...Use some type of contact adhesive and after it drys cut around the edges....and install it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1970VWGUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we could get some volunteers to make templates for each year...we could all make new liners....

I need a pattern for a 1970.. Wink

You could use paper to trace out each piece of masonite and the carpeting itself....I would pay someone for a pattern for mine....Paper is easy and cheap to mail..
vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are $36.00 from Wolfsburg West and they are NOT MASONITE! d'oh!

I've never seen a beetle with masonite; it's much to stiff.

mort

'69 sedan, low mileage, all original.....currently being 'freshened-up' for road trips and daily driving...just not every day

Freshening-up link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617386
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=133863507D

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=133863505B

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1970VWGUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vernonc wrote:
They are $36.00 from Wolfsburg West and they are NOT MASONITE! d'oh!

I've never seen a beetle with masonite; it's much to stiff.

mort

They said it's hardboard...If you look at a piece of masonite...it looks the same to me....

At 1/8 of an inch thick...It's not that hard or ridged and it breaks kinda easy because it's not that thick.

The door panels I just fixed in my car look like masonite..the back seat cover looks like masonite.

Looking at the pictures of the wolfsburg ones...They don't look as nice as carpeting..

If these pictures aren't masonite....it's certainly close enough to fool me...

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-900&va=hardboard

Anyone see any difference?

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_...nite+board

masonite is the backing material...whatever you choose to cover that with is what everyone sees.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ORIGINAL factory trunk liner is a black cardboard type material that seems to be impregnated with tar or something similar. This is NOT the same material as door panels.

Lots of people install carpet and other stuff over the years, but the factory liner is most definitely not hardboard.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
The ORIGINAL factory trunk liner is a black cardboard type material that seems to be impregnated with tar or something similar. This is NOT the same material as door panels.

Lots of people install carpet and other stuff over the years, but the factory liner is most definitely not hardboard.

Thank you Brian. I know that you have been around long enough to know what you're talking about; 'nuff said. Applause

mort

'69 sedan, low mileage, all original.....currently being 'freshened-up' for road trips and daily driving...just not every day

Freshening-up link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617386
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original cardboard liners actually have the basketweave pattern that the seat upholstery has on them, looks like most of the repros don't.
1970VWGUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using 1/8 masonite backing glued to speaker carpet would make a nicer looking job than what the original stuff was...

Why do you suppose most of them are gone now...I would guess because the cardboard didn't hold up very well...once cardboard gets a crease in it, it eventually breaks..

Carpeting would help deaden the sound...what do they have in every trunk today ...carpet or cardboard..
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: The front truck liner material Reply with quote

FWIW, a Super uses both materials. The upper section is all cardboard/fiberboard, the lower section [above the spare] is cardboard/fiberboard with masonite glued beneath it for added support.

To the OP, the original Super Beetle liners are readily available from many retailers [Wolfsburg West, Westcoast Metric, Mid America, etc]. Expensive is relative but if you are on a budget, if you are completely missing them, you might look for a set used, check the classifieds. Even if they are beat, for about $40, you can get a nice carpeted cover from the same retailers. I guess you could just use the carpeted cover, but you'd need something like masonite to cover the spare area.

-jeffrey
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1970VWGUY wrote:

Why do you suppose most of them are gone now.....

Perhaps because they are over 40 years old? Like masonite, some have survived and some haven't. The original carboard liner survives getting wet a little better than masonite. Wink

I still have the original liner for my '69 Convertible, though I must admit, I ripped it some when I removed it from the car during the teardown.

If you like carpet, good for you. Some people want to keep their cars looking stock, and the pieces from WW are the next best thing to finding NOS German pieces.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
The original cardboard liners actually have the basketweave pattern that the seat upholstery has on them, looks like most of the repros don't.

Really? I am almost positive the crappy torn liner I have in my 69 is still the original, and it is just black painted cardboard.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I purchased my bug with just 28,000 miles on it, it still had the original trunk liner. It was a cardboard type material that was painted black. It was well used and I finally took it out and laid down a couple of layers of cardboard and then just laid a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet on top to dress it up.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '69 had the smooth liner, but what about a Super like the OP is talking about? I have no idea when it changed. I only had 1 Super, a '71, and didn't keep it very long so some of the details are cloudy. But, the '73 owner's manual shows a texture.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
1970VWGUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the "Keep it original" aspect..

If I bought one and I found out it was just painted cardboard...I might be a little upset. Making one out of black carpet that has the exact shape of the original, that would help to deaden the sound and still hold up to some abuse and be functional....would be my goal....I want to keep mine as original as I can but using a slight upgrade to achive the desired results isn't a bad thing.

OP asked what the material was and I was just letting him know. So painted cardboard and or masonite/carpet are the options. The speaker covering comes in many colors so one could do an original looking liner that was color coordinated to the outside of the car.

I have a question about the original liner....Did it cover the wiring mess and did the fasten in with screws or anything?

In the picture above about the brake fluid....is that the liner actually going over top of the trunk hinge? And did it go down into the spare tire area at all.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Joel wrote:

Really? I am almost positive the crappy torn liner I have in my 69 is still the original, and it is just black painted cardboard.

It only started in 71 but it was both Supers and Standards from there on, you can see the basketweave pattern in the owners manual pics Brian put up.

its the same pattern thats on the seat upholstery.
All my 70s bugs have had it.

1970VWGUY wrote:

I have a question about the original liner....Did it cover the wiring mess and did the fasten in with screws or anything?

In the picture above about the brake fluid....is that the liner actually going over top of the trunk hinge? And did it go down into the spare tire area at all.

In the flat screen bugs I had after 71 there were 2 tabs hanging down from the windscreen scuttle panel and matching slots in the trunk liner that they lined up with to cover up the wiring and glovebox.

Heres the best shot of an original super one, standards were the same around the fresh air box

1970VWGUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
sb001 wrote:
Joel wrote:

It only started in 71 but it was both Supers and Standards from there on, you can see the basketweave pattern in the owners manual pics Brian put up.

its the same pattern thats on the seat upholstery.
All my 70s bugs have had it.

1970VWGUY wrote:

In the flat screen bugs I had after 71 there were 2 tabs hanging down from the windscreen scuttle panel and matching slots in the trunk liner that they lined up with to cover up the wiring and glovebox.

Heres the best shot of an original super one, standards were the same around the fresh air box

very nice picture...That will help a lot...see how it bends (curves) under the dash?
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of mine had a 90degree fold on the top instead of curving like that one but they were non dash fan bugs which have a different trunk liner.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: