Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My viscous coupler rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly they get more aggressive as they get hotter.

Thank you for sharing.
tim_ha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the following forum:
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&...;start=165
Quote:
Testing is accomplished by keeping the housing stationery and having the
hub rotate with a constant speed of 75 rpm. Temperature is being measured
by means of a thermo coupling on the outside of the housing. Torque
transfer in Nm vs. temperature (C) at a speed difference of 75 rpm is the
key measurement. The torque level slowly *drops*! as the temperature goes
from 10 degrees C to 120 degrees centegrade (from 250Nm to 140Nm) and then
shoots up to an infinite torque sharply at a point between a temperature of
120 and 135 degrees C.

This is what I would expect intuitively. As the fluid heats up, it's viscosity drops linearly with temperature. This will cause the torque to drop. In addition to the viscosity dropping, the volume increases compressing the little bit of air in the VC smaller and smaller. From what I have read on various forums, when the air percentage drops to some magic number, the VC locks up in "hump" mode. I would like to try to qualitatively test the drop in torque by performing the test I described earlier.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sethdrew.com/Uganda/technology.html
Several threads with information about VCs here have gone over the theory and include videos and tech specs if you haven't seen them.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree that the VC gets more aggressive in warmer temperatures. In the mild climate of the BC west coast my VC almost never engages during normal driving. But on a road trip to California in the spring, or on summer road trips when it's much hotter the VC kicks in after a few hours of continuous driving and I have a tough time parking!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat is a result of viscous shearing of the silicone fluid. The fluid was chosen as it does not exhibit a viscosity drop due to heating as severe as other fluids, say mineral oil. But the viscosity does decrease with increased temperature.

The heat produced by the viscous shearing of the fluid results in a pressure increase within the vc unit. The fluid expands as you would expect, with heating.

Then the magic happens. One would think that in an enclosed space all areas would experience the same pressure. But there are localized pressure differences that force the plates together and thus transfer the power from the input shaft to the output shaft. This condition is commonly called the "hump condition".

It is this that gets the power to the front wheels. When you jack up one side of the front of the van and try turning the wheel you feel the viscous drag for the plate moving through the silicone fluid. You do not feel the hump condition unless you turn the wheel fast enough.

Measuring the viscous drag does give an indication of the viscosity of the fluid. But you need a specialized test set up to determine the hump condition parameters.

What confuses a lot of us is the published data showing the test results, temperature versus power transfer. Temperature is used a a metric, an indirect if you will, measure of the internal pressure of the vc.

Of course if you increase the temperature of the vc the internal pressure will increase. But it is the internal pressure that is important for vc function, not temperature. If one could pressurize the vc from some external source ( and that was postulated by that VW engineer who's name escapes me right now), then you could adjust the agressiveness of the vc. But it is hard to do that, it is easier to heat or cool the vc (as Derek Drew's son did).

It might seem like semantics, and I agree that temperature affects vc function. But it is not temperature that is the direct cause of the plates coming together, it is inter-plate pressure differences.

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it....

http://shufti.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/vc.pdf

"Hump Condition" - I think I had that back in high school...... Laughing

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
beelzibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I did any thinking or reading about VC rebuilding, this is a great thread. So is anyone able to offer a kit of the fluid and seals now then?
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beelzibus wrote:
It's been a while since I did any thinking or reading about VC rebuilding, this is a great thread. So is anyone able to offer a kit of the fluid and seals now then?

the kit can be bought for a guy in hawaii, i'm sure there's fluid available, if under a different name.

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the fluid be the same as other Syncro application, such as the Golf/Passat, etc?

That should be available somewhere.
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a possibility here:

http://www.silikon-profis.de/index.php?f=sysnr&c=0003_10011&t=artikel&sid=bdlyharfaxme

the bottle on that site seems similar to the one in these videos:

http://www.2wd-goes-syncro.de/

From google translate:

Here, the utensils used again in writing. Also, the prices paid by me.
requires your:

- 2x quad ring (X-Ring) 40.64 x 5.33 in FKM (Viton) (~ 10 € / unit)
- 1x O-ring 124 x 2.5 mm made ​​of FKM, go here also similar dimensions (eg 126 x 2.2 mm) (~ € 5 / pcs)
bring about 300g silicone oil with a viscosity of 100,000 mm ˛ / s (~ 70 € / 1kg), here we just want the original viscosity over a rheometer in experience -
tim_ha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps IdahoDoug can post where he sourced the fluid from. He was able to help me as well as another member out with enough for a rebuild. In our communications, he said he got it from an east coast company.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the Google. I found this.

http://www.globaloring.com/Item/326-quad-ring-x-ri...0-40-64mm/

I have not had mine apart, but am interested in attempting this myself. It seems fairly straight forward.

This looks like the second O ring.

http://www.aceseal.com/124.00-x-2.5-p-2661-l-en.html

All that is left then is the secret sauce. This must be a very guarded secret supply. How about a group buy on a case?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, thanks Tim for letting me know of the thread. I researched the silicone fluid, corresponded with some of the European folks (my multilingual wifey!), and called several prospective vendors. I settled on a lab in Bensalem, PA called Clearco Products, and their 30,000 CST fluid as best match for stock performance as new from VW. I wanted functioning as VW intended for good road behavior and to avoid stressing the pricey front drive system with aggressive fluid.

I have been selling bottles with enough to refill your VC, plus some to play with or spill for $45 to your door and have a few remaining. It's in the Samba classifieds if you are interested.

Rgds,
DougM[/i]
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think your ad must have expired, you only have a sliding door interior panel in the classifieds Wink

IdahoDoug wrote:
Hey guys, thanks Tim for letting me know of the thread. I researched the silicone fluid, corresponded with some of the European folks (my multilingual wifey!), and called several prospective vendors. I settled on a lab in Bensalem, PA called Clearco Products, and their 30,000 CST fluid as best match for stock performance as new from VW. I wanted functioning as VW intended for good road behavior and to avoid stressing the pricey front drive system with aggressive fluid.

I have been selling bottles with enough to refill your VC, plus some to play with or spill for $45 to your door and have a few remaining. It's in the Samba classifieds if you are interested.

Rgds,
DougM[/i]

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh thanks! Yeah hoping to find a home for that sweet panel. Will up the ad immediately..
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a Samba thread on Viscous couple rebuilding with pics and some details on fluid and Oring sizing.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=443009

and another 8090 club post on rebuilds
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&...;start=135
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, I was wondering if you could update on how your serviced VC is performing. Anything you would have done differently? Any advice or suggestions? Thank you.
randedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: What about this? RC Silicone Oil with 500,000 cST Reply with quote

Hi!

THis is my First post. I actually made an account just to make an inquiry!

But before that, I must say, good job on this writeup and I thank you for the info.

Anywho, I came across this so called "ultra thick silicone oil" as used by RC people.

http://www.redrc.net/2012/12/hudy-ultra-thick-silicone-oils/

Compared to the 80,000 cSt you used, these are 500,000 and 1,000,000 centi Stokes! Perhaps you could say these oils are so awesome that they are just so stoked to lock up, yo.

Sorry, couldn't help it. Smile Perhaps such thickness is not needed since you find what you use to be aggressive enough. Nonetheless, I wonder: Is this the right kind of oil?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the samba. Good first post. The fluid we have used is 30,000 and my understanding is that the guys in Europe are using a secret blend of fluids even less cst.

I completed my refill and finally drove the van. I had zero sense that the VC was working even nailing it on dirt. Drove back home, in the garage, jacked the rear with two floor jacks, placed 2x4's in front of the front tires. The van climbed over them like they were not even there. Very satisfied with my initial results.

Let us know how that thick stuff works for you. Doug, if you still have one left, I may get it from you. mark
86 for nix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video states they used oil with a viscosity of 100,000 square mm/second. Which I gather is the same as 100,000 cST. They sourced all their supplies including the oil from German companies (I speak german, so let me know if you'd like a translation of any particular parts of the video Very Happy )

I found a guy on e-bay selling the oil out of the UK and says he can supply other viscosities as well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicone-Oil-25-000-25000C...35e7c47c14

I already have the seals and am going to take the plunge on this before too long. I'd be interested in what viscosity the OP used, since he had such good results. 30,000cSt seems to be working out for rsxsr, but how many grams did you use? IdahoDoug, what viscosity was the batches you were selling?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: