Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good shifter
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Good shifter Reply with quote

Are there any good shifters anymore? The wife wants xmas ideas and I can't think of much else that isn't a couple grand (like a trans). I refuse to pay (or her to pay) a ton for a shifter. Maybe something sub $200 range.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Good shifter Reply with quote

Yeah, I have that question too! I need a motor that runs first. Haha
I like the csp one but haven’t really dug down and read into others to compare.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Good shifter Reply with quote

you will get different opinions but my choices would be Berg or rebuilt ORIGINAL Hurst.

all the repop junk these days is just that, junk.

Ive driven some of the other new higher-end offerings on the market and was disappointed.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Good shifter Reply with quote

X2 on the Berg. 2nd choice would be hurst also. Real one not fake.
bedlamite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Good shifter Reply with quote

Are CSP good or no? For the price, they should be.

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/interior/shifter/csp-products-shifter/
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Good shifter Reply with quote

I've been running a Hurst copy Empi for 15 years.

Use an adjustable end on the shift rod and it makes adjusting the shifter a breeze.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Good shifter Reply with quote

I like the look of the vintage speed shifter but I don't know if they are any good. And they are pricey!
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Good shifter Reply with quote

There are some new shifters I have not tried like CSP and really expensive exotics, but I have been through so many since 1968 from the simlple short shift kit,cutting and rewelding original shifters to give shorter throw, Empi, did not try the Hurst. But from the reviews about the same as the Berg. Many other that I don't remember their name.

It stopped when I paid the bucks and got a Berg, it was just so much better then all the rest. Felt it instantly and still wonder how some one can make that much better shifter seen all the rest of the assembly is so stock like long shift rod. Sure there may be better and if a mfg would like to give me one for a test I will happy to do a review, ha. Maybe even buy one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Good shifter Reply with quote

I've been looking myself. CSP or VintageSpeed.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=3
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Good shifter Reply with quote

Those vintage speed shifters are $350-$500. What the hell. I just want to shift gears! I've bought whole cars for less than that!
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Good shifter Reply with quote

The Hurst/Empi shift identically. They also have a advantage as their mounting style allows for more adjustment as compared to other shifters. I had a $300 Vintage speed black mamba, and a Original Hurst. Went back to my $50 Empi. (Sold the Hurst and the Black Mamba as their was no point in keeping $500 in shifters laying around). I did install a aluminum stock looking shift handle on the empi as it just feels better then shifting with a plastic/wood shift ball.

To each their own. Everyone has their preference.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Good shifter Reply with quote

I like my 'Scat' nice tight solid shifts Wink they can be had for less then $100
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Good shifter Reply with quote

This is what I use. Precise, quick shifts, easy to adjust.
And doesn't cost $300-600 USD.

https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/CLASSIC-12-QUICK-SHIFTER-p87541250

YMMV

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Good shifter Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
This is what I use. Precise, quick shifts, easy to adjust.
And doesn't cost $300-600 USD.

https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/CLASSIC-12-QUICK-SHIFTER-p87541250

YMMV

This is the one I was considering, heavily
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Good shifter Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
I like my 'Scat' nice tight solid shifts Wink they can be had for less then $100

Which scat shifter are you using?
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Good shifter Reply with quote

Hey Dan, It's called Scat's 'Drag Fast', I'll try and post a pic ,, later don't feel like going outside with all this snow on the ground,LOL
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Good shifter Reply with quote

I love my Scat dragfast shifter. Super quick shifts just make sure all your bushings and couplers are in top notch condition or it'll be a bear to adjust.

I also really like my bugpack "T" handle shifter too. Smooth shifts and has done great service for 10 years.

brad
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Good shifter Reply with quote

I have a Berg with ball knob in one car and Bug-Tech in the other. The Berg is nice. The the Bug-Tech is hands down the better of the two. I must admit, however, I like ball shaped knobs and didn't want to spend the excessive amount for a B-T knob so I bought a "JDM" on on Ebay. Turned out to be weighted and the extra weight is what made the shifter so good. It was a little notchy prior to adding the extra weight.

H2OSB
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Good shifter Reply with quote

My 2 cents:

I like the look and feel of a T handle shifter.

The SCAT Drag Fast shifter is OK, BUT needs some out of the box mods to be REALLY GOOD. It has a very short throw (like 60% reduced I think) so your shift rail bushing, shift coupler and trans mounts better be in perfect condition or you'll have a time keeping it properly adjusted. It uses a smaller pull-up T for reverse lockout which also needs some tweeking out of the box.

The Berg shifter is TOP NOTCH PERIOD. It comes in many configurations from straight, curved, tall, short, 40% reduction or 60% reduction. They also offer a locking shifter so you can secure your car in gear to help reduce theft. All of the Berg shifter use a thumb button for reverse lockout. You cannot go wrong with Berg. Oh, and they offer repair/replacement parts if you ever need to service yours.

There are also old ARPM shifters out there that are pretty common. They are all aluminum with a square shaft and thumb button for reverse lockout. These feel pretty good but the set screw for the T handle always comes loose which I find very annoying. The real ARPM shifters have a US Patent number stamped on the shaft, just above the pivot ball, copies do not. I think EMPI still makes a copy.

CSP makes a VERY nice shifter that comes straight or curved, T handle or ball handle and either thumb button or small T for reverse lockout. Back when we did the drag bug for PINKS, CSP sponsored us with the first T handle shifter into the US market. They sent it air freight from Germany and it arrived just a few hours before we loaded the car to head for Phoenix, AZ. It's a very nice shifter and to me, feels just like the Berg. Just sayin...

Ball shifters.

As mentioned CSP makes a ball handle with a pull-up T for reverse. It can be had straight or angled.

The classic Hurst trigger shifter is very popular and my buddy Jeff (Glandnut) restores them for folks. The difference with the original Hurst and the copies is in the metal parts. Hurst used hardened steel for the wear parts in the reverse lockout and the copies did not so be aware of that.

Hurst also made the INDY shifter which I have a "patina'ed" one here. It uses a "dual plane" pivot design unlike the previous shifters. This design means the front-back motion is like a 50% reduction but the side-side motion is like a 30% reduction. This makes it EASY to setup and less likely to miss shifts. The reverse lock-out is a spring-loaded design so you just have to pull the shifter extra hard to get over to the reverse gate, then pull back. The pivots are are all steel pins, not a large ball surrounded by plastic bushings like the others so if you get a used one, you may need to re-bush it to make it crisp.

Cool Rides Customs makes a modern billet version Hurst INDY design. It's very sharp looking but my only complaint is it's not designed to use a shifter boot. Since I live in the southeast, and my car is parked outside often, I want to keep sand and dirt out of my center tunnel. Accumulated sand and dirt inside the center tunnel can hold moisture (we have super high humidity here) and aid rusting from the inside out. Other than that one observation it looks really nice.

BugTech is't really a ball shifter but it's close. It uses pivot bolts like the Hurst INDY or the CRC but the throw looks pretty short. I hear they offer them with different throw reductions but I don't know. Also, like the CRC shifter they do not use a shift boot.

For me, when it comes to dollars, options, quality and serviceability, the Berg is unbeatable.

Remember, on a VW the shifter is solid mounted to the chassis and the trans/engine are mounted on pliable rubber or polly pads. If you make a lot of horsepower, the engine and trans will torsionally twist along the centerline of the car, throwing your shifter alignment off. The more hp you make the worse this can be. Having a very short throw shifter can make this even more noticeable.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Good shifter Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips so far guys. I like the look of the T handle but I think a ball shifter works better for the way I drive. Also noticed in a gpopro video I took, I lean forward quite a bit to shift, so maybe a curved handle would work best for me too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: