Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Astra VW GT 2+2 - Starting Restoration, Have Questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
redfarmer84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up going over this this evening (5 pm) and looking at everything. He has ALOT of stuff and although he didn't have all the receipts for everything it is clear he has done a bunch of work and spent a bunch of money and time on this build. He was a really nice guy and showed me everything he has and what he's done. I'll have to wait till tomorrow to get some pictures as it was dark tonight, but I left him a deposit and will pick it all up in the morning.

He didn't have a title for it, and actually come to think of it, I don't think anything got a title in 1970. He said he never had one and he went upstairs and brought down the license plate and tag receipt for it from the DMV. I got to keep the tag receipt. We have bought a few cars from the local US Marshall/Bankruptcy Auction in the past 10 years where the titles have to go through a process, and one the title was "lost". Never have we had to have one notarized. Even the 2003 BMW 745 we bought was in a bankruptcy case and we had to wait til the lawyer got everything straight. It was worth the 4 month wait though being a $5,900 investment!!! Also, from owning cars in the past my grandparents said that a bill of sale should be the only thing with that car.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last I knew Alabama was a state that did not require a title.

I would HIGHLY suggest you check online with the DMV that this is still the case.
redfarmer84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
The last I knew Alabama was a state that did not require a title.

I would HIGHLY suggest you check online with the DMV that this is still the case.

Since I've already bought everything I'll have to just trust it is the case. He also provided me with his 2012 tag receipt and renewal card. I got to keep the renewal car with all the info on it. That pretty much assured me with that.

I do have a few questions regarding what I bought and will be posting those in another forum to keep them out of the kit car thread since they are "General" VW questions. . Thanks so much for the help guys.
A6ULdv8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfarmer84 wrote:
I also don't like the lack of room and lack of ease of getting in and out of the car. Without cutting the body and making it a convertible, how could I make it better???

I had a GT40 that the pans had to be dropped 3" to get any headroom at all. Seeing how your doing a body off restoration, you might give that some thought.

Personally I think it would be a shame to go hacking on the top trying to make a convertible of it.

As for getting in and out of it, (somewhat gracefully) you'll develop a technique for it. I am just under 6' tall (mostly legs too) and even my Roadster took a little practice to figure out a smooth entry and exit. With the top down, I can just slide up the back of the seat, but with the top up, I have to exit the car backwards to clear the dash with my knees.
After awhile it just became one natural smooth movement though.
1970 Beetle 4 spd
[ Now I believe in Re-Incarnation ]
redfarmer84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update you guys on the project.....

I haven't touched the 1970 beetle project I've bought yet, but have been doing some work on the car this past weekend to try and get the body ready to take off. I got the steering wheel, shaft, and column removed from the car; as well as the speedo cable and other wiring up front unhooked. I've broken the adhesive bond just behind the front tires and I think she is just about ready to lift off the pan. I do have to get the heater channel bolts loose, and the windsheild removed first though. I think I will take ya'lls advice and leave the old heater channels on for now for rigidity....might even weld some tubing in an x-pattern so it stays put. Once the new pan is ready, I can carefully remove the old channels and just "bond" it to the new heater channels that will be on the new pan.
redfarmer84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: GOT HER RUNNING!!! Woo hoo!! Reply with quote

Anyways......seeing as I wanted to know the status of the engine; I decided to go ahead (while all the wiring was hooked up) and try and start it to see what she sounded like. Now, keep in mind this car has been sitting for AT LEAST 26 years without being started in the Previous Owners Back Yard. I did post the outcome in another section of the forum where I had asked an engine question, so some of you might have seen this already. If you remember, the engine looks like a weathered disaster....wasp nests, cobwebs, dirt, dust, Rust, rotten belts/hoses, etc. buuuttt.....I GOT HER RUNNING!

I was informed it is 6 volt, but after about 4 hours of working on it off/on, It is still working ok with the new 12 volt coil and battery I am using (lights haven't burnt yet). After a quick sanding of the points and checking their gap, and a little bit of hose replacement (I think it has the original braided type hose b/c it is ROTTEN), we got her running!!!!! With the exception of the fuel pump not working 100%, It runs really well with no weird noises, rattles, knocks, or smoke! We just ran a fuel hose directly to the carb with a small funnel to slowly feed it fuel. She sounds good and strong considering and the 2 times I started her after the video she started on her own really quick and sat there and idled!

Really, really happy and excited for this outcome. Let me know what you guys think, as I would appreciate your feedback in case there is something I missed or I should be aware of.

VIDEO HERE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRjSx_xC5Sw&list=UUjDOvqCuNtXk-2hxiMPruvg&feature=c4-overview
Markoldguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Vw astra Reply with quote

I bought the same car 17 years ago. I have all of the original paperwork, instructions, and guides. I never got around to working on it. Don't know what it is worth or if I have the energy to tackle a restoration on it. I would like to find out how many were made too.
oldthingguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Astra VW GT 2+2 - Starting Restoration, Have Questions Reply with quote

Look what we picked up yesterday, what have we done. haha Now to find a good donor pan.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

64 notch - gone
60 23 window - gone
57 oval - gone
plus a few others I should have kept
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Astra VW GT 2+2 - Starting Restoration, Have Questions Reply with quote

Nice project.

That is going to be more work than you can ever imagine.
BILLMCKINNEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Astra VW GT 2+2 - Starting Restoration, Have Questions Reply with quote

I have a just a body and need a build pac. What do you have?
HELP.
I'll post pictures tomorrow.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Astra VW GT 2+2 - Starting Restoration, Have Questions Reply with quote

Love to see it after all that gold paint is pressure washed off! I bet it would just fly away under a little pressure.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Astra VW GT 2+2 - Starting Restoration, Have Questions Reply with quote

I was really looking forward to seeing how this kit utilized the stock heater channels. What a letdown when redfarmer84 vanished. Maybe one of the latest contributors will step up.

redfarmer84 if you are out there at least check in even if you have no progress to report.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Astra VW GT 2+2 - Starting Restoration, Have Questions Reply with quote

Several makers (CMC/FF/VS/JPS) of Porsche 356 Speedster kits incorporate heater ducting in there 2x4" steel sub-frame. The problem is the little better than luke warm engine heat is quickly dissipated before it gets to the front of the car (much is absorbed by the steel frame which has no insulation. Several home builders have welded a piece of exhaust tubing into the VW center tunnel (after drilling a hole) and used that to transfer the heat up front. It works quite well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: