Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil filter vs. no oil filter
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malocchio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Oil filter vs. no oil filter Reply with quote

I'm surprised this topic hasn't been covered in detail and would like to get some hard evidence in either direction. Obviously, filtered oil is going to provide better lubrication leading to increased engine life, there is no arguing that fact. However, The general opinion seems to be "they don't need that and just drive it" because that's how the factory made it. I can see why some hold the opinion as I have seen 40hp engines in bugs with over 200k on them bone stock. I have also seen teardowns of engines with that sort of mileage and it's astounding the amount of visible wear from scuffing due to unfiltered oil. What that means, irregardless of longevity, is that less parts are salvageable for the next build and that clearances open up faster. Why does this matter? Because this shit costs money and I like to daily drive my shit and would like it to last a long time plus parts are getting more expensive/nla/facing extinction.

Gotta squeeze every last drop outta usage and I'd like to know if anyone has actually built a stock or mildly stock engine with an oil filter, put it through its service life, performed a tear down and noticed a huge difference in the amount of visible wear of any kind. My gut just tells me that engine oil needs filtration and why not go through the trouble to add another 50-100k to a daily driven 40hp or 1600? I usually see filtration on large motors due to the higher stress and no filter on stock motors. Once again, if anyone has any astounding results or a very detailed reason as to why a filter is not needed please share. I'm planning on running a filter like a cb maxi/vw Mexico or a Porsche 356/912 type bypass on my next stock build.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen it!! Bearings really show the damage from non-filtered!! and don't waste ur money on those 'By-Pass' pump/filter POS ,learn how to 'Full Flow' Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had a valve spring break and the pushrod tore up the aluminum rocker dumping aluminum shavings into the case.

The oil filter saved the engine and after replacing the spring and flushing the case, the engine ran for years later.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ford Motor Company did the testing in the '50's and proved that there was significantly (30% ?) less wear when properly filtered. A bypass filter will filter some of the oil some of the time; wear will happen, just at a slower rate. Glenn's situation might have had a different outcome had the filter not been full flow.
Malocchio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with filtration, not only does the engine last significantly longer, but can withstand trauma such as the instance of Glenn's. I didn't know about the ford test and that number would be much higher at the break in period. I have a friend who is adimate about NOT running filters on stock engines because his 40hp bottom end has 200k miles on it. I think it comes down to not wanting to modify the look of a stock 40hp case and he argues that the filter lines decrease overall reliability. He won't sell me a spare engine because he knows I will implement some form of a filtration system which isn't stock. I like the idea of the CB Maxi or VW Mexico because they don't require case altering, have no lines, and look clean. I have heard that the oil passages are small in the CB pump and therefore not well suited for hipo applications. Also, there is no denial that they sit directly in the hot air path of the engine. I think either would work fine.
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malocchio wrote:
Also, there is no denial that they sit directly in the hot air path of the engine. I think either would work fine.
So how hot is the air? If it's even somewhat lower than the oil temperature, it will cool the oil. It is not a problem either way.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filter pumps work just great, so great in fact that VW Mexico put them on as stock equipment and I can't think of much hotter climates than South America. I ran one for years and loved the easy of instillation and the fact I didn't have to do a bunch of machining to filter my engine oil. It's a lot of bunk saying they heat your oil up to dangerous temps.......

brad
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the air blowing over the filter is 220F it's not going to be heating the oil up at all if the oil is 220F, I think this worry doesn't hold water.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We install filter pumps in probably 80% of our engines.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malocchio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about the air temp being equal or less than the oil temp. The filter pumps are cheap too. Can these be run on any type one?
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They won't fit on engines with a competition merged header. Don't know if they will fit on sidewinder style exhausts or not.

brad
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do all the ones that replace the oil pump, go off to the side? Any more compact?
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I have seen they all go off to the right side of the motor and are all about the same size. You can fit a shorter filter on them.

brad
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is to run an in/out style pump that CB sells.....

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1798

is a 26mm pump for flat cams

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
As far as I have seen they all go off to the right side of the motor and are all about the same size. You can fit a shorter filter on them.

brad

I found out by accident that an oil filter for a 2001 Harley Duece fit and is 50% shorter. I use them all the time now.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As far as I have seen they all go off to the right side of the motor and are all about the same size

I thought it was the left side.....
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Quote:
As far as I have seen they all go off to the right side of the motor and are all about the same size

I thought it was the left side.....

Ya, my other right LOL Embarassed My goof......

brad
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the CB one that replaces the oil pump and has rubber lines, barbed fittings and hose clamps, but I'm a little uneasy about the lines. By the time I spend the money to do AN couplings or crimped lines, I could have bought a one piece assembly for cheaper, but I'm concerned about the clearance with my merged exhaust system.
badufay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best solution right here... It's an OE part too. Install this, then run 5w30 synthetic and be on your way

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/OEM-VW-30mm-Full-Flow...15-115.htm

Ben
Previous: 2015 Golf S TDI, 6 spd man; 2015 Jetta SE TDI, 6 spd man; 12 Jetta 2.5L, 04 Jetta 2.0L, 02 Golf 2.0L, 98 Jetta 2.0L, 98 Golf 2.0L, 98 Cabrio 2.0L, 95 Golf 2.0L, 87 golf GTI 16 valve 1.8L, 86 Cabriolet 1.6L, 80 Audi 4000 1.6L, 76 Audi Fox 1.6L, 76 VW Beetle 1.6L, 74 Audi Fox 1.5L, 69 VW Beetle 1.5L
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badufay wrote:
Best solution right here... It's an OE part too. Install this, then run 5w30 synthetic and be on your way

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/OEM-VW-30mm-Full-Flow...15-115.htm

Ben

Any chance it will fit with a Bugpack merged header?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: