Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can someone post a picture of a shiftrod for me?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
schwim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Can someone post a picture of a shiftrod for me? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I think my shift rod may be twisted. Could I get someone to post a shot from tip to socket, like this one so I can compare?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for your time!
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Shiftrods are NOT straight

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery

Last edited by grandpa pete on Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
schwim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not speaking of the bend in the rod for e-brake clearance grandpa, but the orientation of the cup in relation to the dimple. My cup sits at 1-1:30 when the dimple's at 12 as you sight down it.

I have searched a lot. I can't find a single mention of what I'm asking about. Either I'm using the incorrect terminology, or what I'm asking is oddball.

A pic or confirmation would be greatly appreciated.
Culito

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwim wrote:
Not speaking of the bend in the rod for e-brake clearance grandpa, but the orientation of the cup in relation to the dimple. My cup sits at 1-1:30 when the dimple's at 12 as you sight down it.

I have searched a lot. I can't find a single mention of what I'm asking about. Either I'm using the incorrect terminology, or what I'm asking is oddball.

I've searched the gallery with no luck. However, there appears to be a few in the classifieds - you might try contacting a seller.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
schwim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culito wrote:

I've searched the gallery with no luck. However, there appears to be a few in the classifieds - you might try contacting a seller.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ch[/quote]

Thanks very much for the suggestion, Culito. I also had no luck in the gallery but hadn't thought to use the classifieds. I wrote an email to the gent selling the 60 shift rod. If mine's indexed incorrectly, I'll pick his up as a replacement.
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my ’65 the shift rod is a bit different along with coupler, but if it had a twist like that it would throw things off. Also, the Bentley manual mentions checking for “wear and twists” in the shift rod. The ball socket part up front needs to be strait up for neutral and the indent coming from the transmission shift lever should also be straight up in neutral. Insert your current rod and coupler and only one of those will be straight up. Not sure about your year, but my guess is it’s twisted. Curious to hear a definite answer though.
schwim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offshores wrote:
On my ’65 the shift rod is a bit different along with coupler, but if it had a twist like that it would throw things off. Also, the Bentley manual mentions checking for “wear and twists” in the shift rod. The ball socket part up front needs to be strait up for neutral and the indent coming from the transmission shift lever should also be straight up in neutral. Insert your current rod and coupler and only one of those will be straight up. Not sure about your year, but my guess is it’s twisted. Curious to hear a definite answer though.

Year is 59. I'm really hoping you're right. It will explain why I have to offset my shift coupler to be able to get all gears. I have to tighten the detent screw to one side of the dimple to get it in alignment.
spicetraders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just pulled my 59 pan shift rod. What a bear to get out. But it also has some issues at least from what I read in Bentleys as stated previously rod has a bit of an zigzag in it.
With this being in a shortened 59 pan on a fiberglass dune buggy it is hard to know what is right to a normal full size, i would still think straight is right.
Looking at the pin dent vs the pipe elbow I see a very slight shift to toward the 1 o'clock spot but very slight.

----
If you don't like what I say well to bad, just skip to next post.
I guess my logic and yours just don't match.
This is not E harmony here.
schwim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks spice. I never got a response from any of the classified ads guys and nobody ever posted a definitive answer or pic so I'll be cutting and turning the one I have to line them up and see how it works.
spicetraders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just in www2.cpi1.com. Searched for shift rods.
Seems that the early beetles have a bent rod to clear the brake tubes. There must also be a good working bushing inside the tunnels just be hind the shift hole. CPI1 has most of these parts on sale for the holidays so I am just going to buy a new bushing, coupler, and rod so I have a clean set up.
Looks like for a 59 beetle they have three choices so I am buying the one closest to my length.
I also like the weld in length adjuster listed in CPI1 make it nice to get things twisted just perfect and exact length for clean shifts.
A log of good info over in the samba kit/fiberglass forum on shift rod.
----
jhoefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwim wrote:

The shift rod cup, shift rod dimple, and transmission hockey stick dimple are supposed to be all in a straight line and vertical when in neutral.

Is the dimple on the transmission side (on the hockey stick) vertical or rotated when in neutral? Does it have more than one dimple, perhaps on the bottom? Are any of the dimples actually drilled all the way through?

My guess is that you have mismatched parts in the car and someone has tried to correct it. See: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=507557 and http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=418580 and http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=319586
2nd67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: i just installed on my 67 Reply with quote

and definitley 12/12. i cant imagine how pissed someone must have been trying to get reverse?. somehow the trans must have been stuck in a gear so that the back side of the rod was held stationary while someone on the shifter was giving it everything they had!.
schwim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine how it got twisted. I'm wondering if either the cup or dimple end has spun inside the rod. I'll take a gander at it and see something looks shifty(hehe).
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwim wrote:
I can't imagine how it got twisted..

Well, it IS straight, and it shouldn't be... so it probably happened whenever it was messed with.

Not much help from the factory parts manual (May 1960 edition) from which I extracted this excerpt:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spicetraders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my new rod in for my 59 if you need a picture. Definite wave in the rod, and the line is straight from cup to detente. Price was right for a nice clean rod, bushing, and weld in end adjuster.
----
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just grabbed a '69 rod and put section of pipe into the hole (later models didn't have the dimple.) the cup is about 10 degrees clockwise when the rod was horizontal. I would guess the older rod had the same slight rotation between the cup and coupler ends. They generally use the same aftermarket shifters.

A 1959 Bug won't have a shift rod bushing. The old Bugs had a rolled steel hanger that doubled as a bushing and a leaf spring to push down on the shift rod to prevent rattles. I would say the old system is superior, so unless the steel bushing is worn out I'd wouldn't replace it with a newer hanger.
schwim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
I just grabbed a '69 rod and put section of pipe into the hole (later models didn't have the dimple.) the cup is about 10 degrees clockwise when the rod was horizontal. I would guess the older rod had the same slight rotation between the cup and coupler ends. They generally use the same aftermarket shifters.

A 1959 Bug won't have a shift rod bushing. The old Bugs had a rolled steel hanger that doubled as a bushing and a leaf spring to push down on the shift rod to prevent rattles. I would say the old system is superior, so unless the steel bushing is worn out I'd wouldn't replace it with a newer hanger.

So we have one positive that it's 12-12 and one positive that it's 10 degrees off. That's pretty fantastic Smile

My rod has the bend for the e-brake. It also has a totaled bushing still on the rod up at the front(it wasn't functioning when I purchased the car). The shifter was so tight, I figured that mine was of the style that didn't use the bushing and that the bushing found by the shift cup meant that I had a replacement rod.

Since I have the same number of people that are positive that it's got no twist as those that are positive it does, and still not a single picture to compare, it looks like I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and spend the money to get one to compare it to. I can always sell it back off to recoup the investment.
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Shift Rod Reply with quote

OK, This is the best I can do, I went out to my shop and squared up the Shift Rod with the slot in the front cup and went to the coupler end & found center, this is what I came up with. This Rod came out of a working, Shifting fine Bug. For reference the center of the Dimple looks to be 1mm off center towards the drivers side. To bad you didn't live closer, you could swing by and take it home with you. Hope it helps.

schwim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's absolutely fantastic! Thanks so much! It looks like when the cup and dimple are at 12, the bend for the e-brake is rotated to about 4 o'clock. Would you say that is right? If so, this will help me figure out which end I've got the issue with.

Can I ask what year this rod came out of?

Thanks again so much for taking the time to set this up and take some pics. It's incredibly helpful of you.
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwim wrote:
Since I have the same number of people that are positive that it's got no twist as those that are positive it does

and the fact that yours is twisted and doesn't shift properly would lead me to believe that it shouldn't have a twist. Also, the Bentley warns of checking for twists. Sounds to me like you've finally found an answer. Hope it does solve your problem.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: