Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Best" quiet muffler upgrade for a Type 2?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nate93460
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: "Best" quiet muffler upgrade for a Type 2? Reply with quote

anybody have any recommendations on the most unobtrusive yet quiet muffler for a type 2? looking at options for my 56 single cab. the engine will be a mild 1776dp. i"ve been looking at Empi "GT style" exhausts, particularly the GT single tip. anybody running one?
porscheforu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running an Empi single tip with my 1641 and it has a nice sound. Not objectionable at all. The only problem I encountered was that the muffler comes in contact with the bumper. Not sure how to cure this.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "best" quiet muffler upgrade for a type 2? Reply with quote

nate93460 wrote:
anybody have any recommendations on the most unobtrusive yet quiet muffler for a type 2? looking at options for my 56 single cab. the engine will be a mild 1776dp. i"ve been looking at Empi "GT style" exhausts, particularly the GT single tip. anybody running one?

are you worried about the neighbors? in a single cab the exhaust is really not that noticeable?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
nate93460
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently running an old (rusty) beetle exhaust on my 1500sp, which isn't overly loud, but I'm afraid it is going to restrict a 1776. I like the look of the stock type 2 muffler, but again, not sure it would work well on a bigger engine.
kingodirtp3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best performing exhaust in a 1 3/8ths header with either single quietpac or hideaway with a mild 1776dp type of engine. using bigger pipes will loose low end torque. the 4 to 1 collector will give the best savaging and power. the turbo tuck isn't that loud, quieter than the single quietpac which isn't that loud either.
the empi mufflers that just have 2 pipes into each side of the center muffler with either a single tip or 4 tip are almost as bad as stock.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a fan, I don't have one but I want

http://www.vintagespeed.com.tw/Exhaustsystem/Exhaustsystem-main.html
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 on vintage speed exhausts

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingodirtp3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the vintage speed is very nice. but like A1 and a couple of other exhausts option out there, they are way too expensive. their performance isn't better enough to qualify spending that much. a 1 3/8ths header and turbo tuck is less that $200 and will give the best performance/cost ratio. if you're low then get a steel plate welded to the bottom of the collector and have a custom muffler ran like I did. once I finished the custom stuff it was up to around 300, still cheaper than VS and A1.
just please no empi gt 4 tip or single tip exhausts, they are as bad as stock.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingodirtp3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on the carbs, cam, and head work. if its a mild 1776 then using ur stock heater boxes and 1 3/8ths header is ok, but if its a wild 1776 like 120 cam, big valves, and weber 40s then you'll need 1 1/2 merged header.

are you lowered? if lowered and u have the money then vintage speed or A1 is very nice. if you don't have the money then get the stuff I listed below and have a muffler shop weld a 1/4 strip of metal to the lowest part of the collector because you may scrape it.

basic header
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DD%2D2031%2D10
turbo tuck
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DD%2D2556
67_SO42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingodirtp3 wrote:
depends on the carbs, cam, and head work. if its a mild 1776 then using ur stock heater boxes and 1 3/8ths header is ok, but if its a wild 1776 like 120 cam, big valves, and weber 40s then you'll need 1 1/2 merged header.

are you lowered? if lowered and u have the money then vintage speed or A1 is very nice. if you don't have the money then get the stuff I listed below and have a muffler shop weld a 1/4 strip of metal to the lowest part of the collector because you may scrape it.

basic header
turbo tuck

I have said items in my shopping cart... got any pics of your setup before i pull the trigger?
58 Binz DC #151 "Nacho"
61 Norwegian, bug "Greta"
65 Swedish, Westfalia 400 trailer "Melania"
57 Binz scooter “Micha”
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

67_SO42 wrote:
kingodirtp3 wrote:

basic header
turbo tuck

I have said items in my shopping cart... got any pics of your setup before i pull the trigger?

Just know that you will have to remove that muffler to adjust valves. The finish will also not last on the header or muffler, unless you spring to get them ceramic coated. Which by the time you do all that you're getting close to pricing territory of a vintage speed that will last a lot longer and give more ground clearance if your bus is lowered...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingodirtp3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the header/muffler will last if you coat it with peanut oil every couple days for a couple months. once the oil burns into the exhaust it will last a long time. I've had mine going for 5 years now. peanut oiled it and I sometimes give it a coat of 2000deg exhaust paint.
use the copper gaskets so when you take off the muffler you wont have to buy a new gasket.
still less than half the price of the VS or A1 stuff.
kingodirtp3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I got a 20 muffler cherry bomb or turbo hush type from autozone, then got some nice 2 in mandrel bend tubes from summit and a 3 bolt flange and took it all to a local muffler shop and they welded it up for 75. I dont have to take off my muffler to adjust the valves. I paid around 300 total for this set up. no rust holes just, just light surface rust.
kingodirtp3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just be sure to sand off the paint the exhaust come in and give them a good coat of 2000deg paint, once the paint has been cooked on you can either spray them again or start coating with peanut oil.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll get what you pay for! Wink

Ceramic coating will make it last longer than without it, but eventually it will start rusting here and there. The header system is not a part that normally gets "buffed and waxed" every time you wash your bus. So with the road dirt and the weather it gets pitted. Quality of build is where it's at, though. Cool

Here's an example of "lipstick on a pig". Rolling Eyes

Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: best" quiet muffler upgrade for a type 2? Reply with quote

Vintage Speed and A 1 are both excellent (I have both) but neither are quiet. A regular 4 into 1 with a single quiet pack (regular or tucked) are the quietest option after stock bus muffler.
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an empi single quiet pack to start out and eventually put on a Vintage Speed lowered exhaust.

Do yourself a favor and save your pennies and get the Vintage Speed. It is an investment that you will be glad you got.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: best" quiet muffler upgrade for a type 2? Reply with quote

Teeroy wrote:
Vintage Speed and A 1 are both excellent (I have both) but neither are quiet. A regular 4 into 1 with a single quiet pack (regular or tucked) are the quietest option after stock bus muffler.

True that! But again, quality is where it's at! I too got tired of buying cheap assed mufflers every six months because they either broke or just plain desintegrated. The sidewinder plus stainless MONDO muffler in the Dormy was indeed way to loud, specially fresh in and on a cross country drive! So I "capped" it with a spark arrestor. Neutral

On the Plump Truck, after attempting to buy a "cheap" muffler and finding out they are now over $100, decided to make my own! Went to Peep Boys and got the smallest they had for $30 and hacked it into existing pipes. Cool

Here's the old muffler showing cracks, leaks and if you look closer, it's all "swelled up":

The new beefy $30 one! Dancing

(Note the EMPI one showing its rustosis) Smile

I am currently considering installing a quieter muffler onto the sidewinder collector. Think
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: "best" quiet muffler upgrade for a type 2? Reply with quote

The Vintage Speed I have (lowered bus Sport muffler) is not real loud, and does not drone at all like some of the Mondo mufflers do. I'm very happy with the quality and fit.
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: best" quiet muffler upgrade for a type 2? Reply with quote

[quote="pyrOman"]
Teeroy wrote:

True that! But again, quality is where it's at! I too got tired of buying cheap assed mufflers every six months because they either broke or just plain desintegrated. The sidewinder plus stainless MONDO muffler in the Dormy was indeed way to loud, specially fresh in and on a cross country drive! So I "capped" it with a spark arrestor. Neutral

On the Plump Truck, after attempting to buy a "cheap" muffler and finding out they are now over $100, decided to make my own! Went to Peep Boys and got the smallest they had for $30 and hacked it into existing pipes. Cool

Here's the old muffler showing cracks, leaks and if you look closer, it's all "swelled up":

I am really interested in what you did here. I have the A1 Sidewinder kit, stainless steal. The exhaust fits great and looks good, the muffler it came with sits a tad lower than I thought but that's not an issue, this thing is LOUD loud. Did you weld on another tip or just get a totally different muffler? If I can mod this thing it'd be great, to quiet things up...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: