Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Super Junkyard Restoration
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACVWN00B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: 1974 Super Junkyard Restoration Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I've just bought a 1974 Super Beetle from a junkyard for $800 and I'm hoping to be able to restore it before May.

Here's a few details about it:

The body is in pretty good condition considering it's a 40 year old car. It's from New York so there's a lot of underside rust. I do however have a cousin that used to have a '73 Super and he has a brand new floor pan he didn't use that I can have.

The engine doesn't run right now but the PO said it ran when he parked it... the engine is stamped AE991223 so I'm not exactly sure which year it's from. It looks like anywhere from 1971-1973. Does anybody have a clue?

The brakes right now are free and the parking brake still works. I'll most likely rework those through pretty good, though.

I can't start it because I don't have a key and don't know how to hotwire it. I know, I know, that's one of those essential pieces of information that everyone should know... lol!

I'm definitely going to have to replace all of the exterior rubber because it's dry rotted beyond repair.

The interior was decent except for the back seat. The sun has about beat it to death. The headliner is still holding okay but I'm hoping to get an interior kit from JBUGs in a couple months with most of the interior, exterior, rubber, and miscellaneous other parts.

The dashboard is cracked in about 8-10 different spots so I'll have to pull that and repair it. The steering wheel is also cracked and I'm a little stumped on how to repair that one. Any suggestions?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm having a little trouble finding out exactly what color it is. It's definitely a repaint (there's overspray in the wierdest places) Does anybody out there have any guesses?

Here's the engine, this is my first car and my first experience with VWs so I'm not sure exactly what all that wiring that leads to nowhere is, and I don't think I'm supposed to be able to look through the engine bay at the ground, am I?

I have until May to get this done. I'm probably going to trade school then so I won't have as much time to play with her then. My budget is about $3200.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you have a bright future with this baby. Have fun with the rust issues.

Just buy a new keyed ignition to get started.

Have fun,

Tim
don't_bug_me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you go spending money on it, a question comes to mind, when you bought it from the junkyard, what kind of title did you get, and if it's a salvage or rebuilt title, did you first check with your state dmv to find out what will be required to get it registered? If after that all your ducks are in a row, then have at it. Curious as to why you would by an 800 dolllar junkyard super with an additional 3200 budget, supers don't always resell very high, and some nice ones, or a better candidate could have been had with a whole lot less work needed for the amount of money you have to work with, I understand if your just wanting the experience of working on a bug, but to buy an one with so many unknowns...engine, a lot of rust repair, wiring in disarray, the title to deal with, well frankly, putting a time frame for repairs on it with limited working knowledge on them, (not an insult-but what I gather from your post) is probably not going to happen. And yes, you can see the ground from the engine bay to some degree, it's an air cooled.

"Necessity is the mother of invention"
don't_bug_me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, if the title is not an issue, it can be a fun project, just take your time, rushing it will cost you more in the long run.

Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that budget I would suggest you take a good hard look at that car and make a parts list with prices. I don't know what your definition of "restore" is, but I promise you will find more rust once you start tearing into it. $3200 isn't a lot once you start adding up things and I'm guessing you don't even know if the engine runs. That could take half your budget right there.
don't_bug_me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before responding to this post, I suggest everyone read this one, as I should have, to get a better idea of his knowledge level. Not that I think my post would have read much different.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6779244&highlight=#6779244

The most disappointing and usually the "final straw" when someone starts a project and ends up quitting, is placing unreasonable expectations on themselves...that being said, take your time with the build (I know, I've said that 3 times now) and most everyone here will be glad to help in one form or another. I myself have benefitted from the vast knowledge here, and continue to do so.

Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't_bug_me wrote:
Before responding to this post, I suggest everyone read this one, as I should have, to get a better idea of his knowledge level. Not that I think my post would have read much different.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6779244&highlight=#6779244

The most disappointing and usually the "final straw" when someone starts a project and ends up quitting, is placing unreasonable expectations on themselves...that being said, take your time with the build (I know, I've said that 3 times now) and most everyone here will be glad to help in one form or another. I myself have benefitted from the vast knowledge here, and continue to do so.

Thank you for posting this.

OK, I'll try and give some fatherly advice. You are wasting your money. Take it from those of us who have been there, and I'm sure there are more than just me on this forum. If you want a bug make it reliable, safe and attractive. Making a bug a "sleeper" is a waste to me. If you want to go fast buy a "real" race car. If you like drag racing go that route. If you like dirt track racing go that route. I raced dirt tracks for over 20 years and it is far more fun and safer than street racing, especially in a bug. For the kind of money you want to spend to make it fast with 150 hp you could buy a great micro sprint and have a blast, way more fun than a sleeper bug. OK. I'll get off my soapbox.
ACVWN00B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

The guy I got the car from said he is waiting for the DMV to send him a new title. He bought it for his wife about 6 years ago, she drove it once and it cut off on her at an idle. She wasn't going to drive it again after that so he parked it and it's been there ever since. I go to church with a couple of people that work with him on a regular basis and he looks to be legitimate.

As for my previous post.... I'm looking at it now and laughing. I've been looking up prices, other Samba posters, and what kind of work I can put into ever since I heard about this car... Needless to say, the 1914 Turbo is out the window. That in mind, a little more power wouldn't be a bad idea if the money comes in to play. For now, I'm going to try to get the stock engine in there running and get the car on the road.

I'm not building this car to resell, I'm doing it to get the know-how of working on it and to have the opportunity of owning something nice. I've done a bit of mechanic work on diesel, gas, and small engines at work and around the house so it's not like I'm going in completely blind in the mechanical side. And, growing up without a lot of money, you learn to make do and you can get pretty creative with your repairs while still keeping it safe. lol! There's still a LOT I have left to learn but it's going to be a fun little journey.

Thanks for the input,

Jonathan K
ACVWN00B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I forgot to mention that my brother works at an auto shop and it looks like he can get me information from the shop manuals, wiring diagrams, and all of the other fun stuff like that. Very Happy
don't_bug_me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACVWN00B wrote:
Hey guys,

The guy I got the car from said he is waiting for the DMV to send him a new title.

Jonathan K

I wouldn't even look in the direction of the car until I had my title in my hand, and it is a salvage title, you still have more paperwork and inspections to follow, so all the ID tags had better match.

ErickS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in Va are you located? It is easy to get a title in Va, go onto the DMV website and search abandon vehicle title. Fill it out with the vin send it to DMV they will send you the last known address of the last titled owner, then you need to do some paper work or leg work send a certified letter to the owner and if they respond or do not respond within two weeks you can get the title in your name. . I have done this a few times, the last one I did cost $35, but it has been a few years.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=573554
DWP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad find and a good start into the world of VW's Like others have said get the title part sorted out first.
While you are waiting for the title get a copy of
Muir's How to keep your volkswagen alive. Something to read
http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-Alive-Step-Step/dp/0912528168

The AE engine started life as a 71-73
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/engine_letters.php

Before you try to start the engine change ALL the fuel lines and filter. You could even Carefully drain the fuel tank and start with fresh gas. Replace ALL the rubber brake lines. If the door rubber is shot so are the brake lines. Check around the engine tin for any Mouse or other critter droppings. For some reason they love to move into the area around the heads.
Get the care up into the air and get an idea of the rust. If it's only the pans replace them. If it looks like there is structural rust rethink everything.

Lets no worry to much about the steering wheel and dash. Get it working , running and stopping first.

It's you CAR have fun with it, Just hold all the fancy stuff for later.

DWP
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want a little omph without too many added costs and still have reliability, build a 1776. It's all you really need.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
ACVWN00B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ErickS : I'm in Nottoway County out in the boonies. Thanks for the info. I'll check that out right now.

DWP Is there any way to know if it's the 48HP model or the 60HP model? And what would you consider "structural rust"? I have some rust in the heater channels but it looks like I may be able to repair them with a little work.

I've been considering upgrading the front brakes to disc brakes. Has anybody used the kit from JBUGs and had success with them?

Thanks,

Jonathan K
FLUX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours would be around 60 horsepower. BTW nice beetle! I feel like that's an awesome price for a starter for 800 bucks (minus the title issues) haha. I have been driving my beetle for a couple years now with the front drum brakes, and they have been great. You just have to adjust them every so often.
ACVWN00B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks FLUX, I didn't think $800 would be horrible and it's looking pretty promising so far if the title comes through. What kind of Beetle do you have?
DWP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with finding HP is you do not know what has beed done to the engine over the years. Pistons, cams ect.
As far as rust make sure the critical mounting points are intact. Shock mounts, main frame ect. Things that keep the wheels intact.
DWP
ACVWN00B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense. I really don't know anything about the history of this engine. The guy I bought it from said he had just put it in before his wife drove it so other than that, I'm not sure.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ErickS wrote:
Where in Va are you located? It is easy to get a title in Va, go onto the DMV website and search abandon vehicle title. Fill it out with the vin send it to DMV they will send you the last known address of the last titled owner, then you need to do some paper work or leg work send a certified letter to the owner and if they respond or do not respond within two weeks you can get the title in your name. . I have done this a few times, the last one I did cost $35, but it has been a few years.
ALSO the DMV has changed a lot, not that simple now. Tried this awhile back. not long, and never able to get title and didn't need a parts car either. Lesson learned long ago= 'i can get a title','paper to DMV inthe mail', typical seller B.S. I would NEVER buy without a clear title in theiir hand, my-2cts.
ErickS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#abandoned.asp

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=573554
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: