Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

steering column install questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
76bajabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: steering column install questions Reply with quote

All,

I've begun work on replacing the steering column in my '76 beetle. The previous owner had broken it and band-aid fixed it so I wanted to correct it. I got the old column out after unbolting it from the steering box and removing the bearing at the top. I removed the shaft, after much frustration, by cutting first and asking questions later. So I have a new column and I can't figure out how to install it. I obviously can't feed it through from the top. Do I need to remove the steering box? how Do I get the column in through the bottom? Thanks for all the help.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super or standard? If standard - the colum will slide partway in and then get hung up part way through the collapsible part, right? There is a piece on the one end of the collapsible part that prevents the column from going through the hole. Remove it - install column, then put it back on.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
76bajabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a standard. I figured it out. The tube actually unbolts and it comes right out. I was making it harder than it had to be.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you. I will pass on the best piece of advice I was given regarding working on old VWs. Don't overthink it. Pretty much everytime I am banging my head against the wall was because I was making things more complicated than they needed to be.

Perfect example was getting a recent purchase to run properly - I am swapping carbs, ready to swap distributors and do all this silly crap and finally noticed that the hose for the EGR on the intake was off... Rolling Eyes
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: