Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aftermarket Heating for Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
This looks super and I looked twice, but did I miss the link where to purchase this heater ?

I want one for my vert....

Here you go:

http://dcthermal.com/catalog/sd12-4000-volt-ducted-heater-copy
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluedot wrote:
CiderGuy wrote:
This looks super and I looked twice, but did I miss the link where to purchase this heater ?

I want one for my vert....

Here you go:

http://dcthermal.com/catalog/sd12-4000-volt-ducted-heater-copy

Thank you for the information, I hope to put it to good use.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
varagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in Kansas it gets cold here. I'd love additional options for heat.
bt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not aluminum fresh air heater hose?

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-028-129-087-F2
asbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluedot wrote:
j.donnel wrote:
Have you thought about marketing it as a kit with instructions on how you set it up? I know I'd be interested.

Thats a great idea - I'll try to put that together and will let everyone know as soon as it is up!

ri

I have a '69 Ghia Vert and have been following this thread for a while.
I would be interested in a kit...
I can do the install, but having the harness right out of the box would be sweet.
Thanks for keeping this thread updated, a lot of the time you can tell people finished their projects, but never put that last 5% of what they did to actually make it work and it kinda leaves the rest of us hanging.

Nice looking dash as well.
KC
aspirit5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love this post.
great idea! i was actually looking for something like this!

would you be able to post more picture of your installation, to see what it look like in the karmann.

thank you.

Sebastien
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Heating for Ghia Reply with quote

Hey Sambanistas

Glad to see that some people actually see the benefit of this electric heater instead of the mockery I got when I first put this info up. Rolling Eyes

This thing works awesome. It's not a hair dryer like some assumed it would be. It's a 10,000 btu heater!

Yes, it required large wiring and a 90amp alternator, but having instant defrost and heat is making our ghia drivable other than just perfect summer days.

I can defrost my windows while the car is warming up the driveway in just a couple of minutes, like a new car. Miles before the heater boxes kick in.

It would be hard to provide a kit with wiring, etc - as it took a bit to install as you can see by this thread. Use car stereo wiring, as you can get 1/0 stranded and flexible.

Not much to see, as it uses the factory defroster ducts. I capped off the fresh air, as it was too difficult for me to figure out how to add a Y and a damper. I figure if you want fresh air - put the top down, right?

First image shows the temp outside vs the temp at the defroster. (Note, the big number is relative humidity, the second number is temp) 82f vs 59f outside.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the vent, the 2" hole I hated to drill thru the kickwell, but it brings heat to our feet when warranted. It turns off via position. This is off.

It kinda looks like that movie Brazil! (esp with the rothfink decal) I had planned on changing the flex duct out with stainless tubes - but haven't gotten around to it. I'm actually thinking of covering all this with some door skin and upholster it so I can use the trunk without messing with my crossover and stuff.

I ended up using a high end alternator - a Compufire Dual Cool, which has worked flawlessly with the following items running at idle:
- 60a electric heater
- 110w high beam H4 headlights
- Seat warmers
- Wipers (12v converted)
- Stereo with amp and sub

http://www.mooreparts.com/compufire-dual-cool-high-output-90-amp-vw-alternator-polished-finish/
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Heating for Ghia Reply with quote

Impressive.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Heating for Ghia Reply with quote

This looks like a pretty good setup. Since this thread started I have installed the BN2 Gas Heater in my car. I found all of the Ghia specific bits which was not easy.

I certainly would have looked at this setup.

It is really nice to have instant heat and makes the driving experience completely different. Once you have something like this you realize how weak the stock system is.

I can drive my car on cool days with the top down and the gas heater cranked.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Heating for Ghia Reply with quote

bluedot wrote:
I think you're wife has great insight KGCoupe - and as another lady now in your life (at least on the forum) I now know your smiley's are gentle. I will appreciate any comment you make from here on - and learn appreciation for the sense of humor.

I've made an effort to not tell everyone my gender on the forum for the last 100 posts, but maybe its a girl thing. Smile I just didn't want to be patronized, and here you figured me out via a forum! Damn. And my ghia isn't even pink.

I grew up working on VW's, & street rods with my dad and brother since I was a little kid at their shops. I'm the webmaster for the House of Ghia too. Full disclosure. Smile

More on this install soon! I'll put thermometers in the photos when it's done, k?

Not only is your ability to actually complete a project once it has been started far greater than my own, but clearly so is your ability to keep your promises.

bluedot wrote:

First image shows the temp outside vs the temp at the defroster. (Note, the big number is relative humidity, the second number is temp) 82f vs 59f outside.

Smile
Congratulations on a job very well done, bluedot!

I love your attention to detail as clearly evidenced not only by the thought and careful planning that went into all of that wiring, but also by its super clean installation.

Instant heat - whether provided by an electric heater, or a gas one - is definitely something to be envied in any automobile.

Seeing as you already have the high output alternator, have you also considered installing some seat heater grids under the upholstery as well?
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Heating for Ghia Reply with quote

bluedot wrote:
Hey Sambanistas

Glad to see that some people actually see the benefit of this electric heater instead of the mockery I got when I first put this info up. Rolling Eyes

This thing works awesome. It's not a hair dryer like some assumed it would be. It's a 10,000 btu heater!

Well I disagreed then and still . But with no intention of mockery . I fully encourage one to enjoy their car how ever they see fit. I also know every one has different life experiences that build and formulate our opinions. What one thinks is awesome may only be Meh to someone else.So I will play devils advocate on this subject to reflect a different opinion , To allow any readers to contemplate further before they throw down a huge chunk of change for an electric heater .
I use a 30 amp. heater for a window defroster and hand warmer, and it works great for that. 2 of them at 60 amp , which how much watts have, will not come close to heating the car. I could put a thermostat next to it as well and would read 115* but that heat dissipates quickly away from the unit.Plus that 60 amp heater was intended for supplemental heat for tractors and industrial equipment with 200+ amp alternators. I don't see how a 90 amp alternator will keep up.Thats my opinion based on who believes in the law of physics.Physics explained in this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=537127&highlight=electric+heater

I'm glad it works for you and you are having fun with your car. To others , Well , It's your choice if you want to pay that kind of money. No harm done at the end of day.

Other threads on the topic:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200

Last edited by swavananda on Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Heating for Ghia Reply with quote

This is ten times the wattage of your two 30 watt heaters.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Heating for Ghia Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant 30 amp.
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Heating for Ghia Reply with quote

swavananda wrote:

Well I disagreed then and still . But with no intention of mockery . I fully encourage one to enjoy their car how ever they see fit. I also know every one has different life experiences that build and formulate our opinions. What one thinks is awesome may only be Meh to someone else.So I will play devils advocate on this subject to reflect a different opinion , To allow any readers to contemplate further before they throw down a huge chunk of change for an electric heater .

That post you refer is filled with assumptions, that now substantiate an opinion by you. Written by people that haven't used this heater. Why? Just to disagree without knowledge?

This was way cleaner and cheaper than a gas heater. I saw an $1100 price tag with a gas one - I figure this was like $600. With the alternator upgrade.

I have nothing to prove, as I'm using it and not selling it, and I personally don't care if you use one or not - but to make assumptions without actually doing anything with one of these is pretty messed up. It spreads disinformation, which is counter-intuitive to the intention of a user forum. This is made with a different tech than heat strips. It's military spec. But that would take reading the links I provided, researching and perhaps even buying one and testing it.

Welcome back to the Samba. <sigh>
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Heating for Ghia Reply with quote

I have no more than $600 into my gas heater...and that includes a rebuild by Martin Allen who did a fantastic job making this thing like new.
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Heating for Ghia Reply with quote

I will say they have over rated the btu output by 5x. 10,000 btu's requires 3000 watts. 600 watts would be around 2000 btu's. That should still work for that volume of air, but there is something wrong with their rating.
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Heating for Ghia Reply with quote

Northof49 wrote:
I will say they have over rated the btu output by 5x. 10,000 btu's requires 3000 watts. 600 watts would be around 2000 btu's. That should still work for that volume of air, but there is something wrong with their rating.

How do you know this? Why would the government buy this for their Hummers? Why would you make assumptions without testing and knowledge?
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Heating for Ghia Reply with quote

bluedot wrote:
Northof49 wrote:

How do you know this? Why would the government buy this for their Hummers? Why would you make assumptions without testing and knowledge?

Please don't get me wrong. This isn't a judgement, or subjective. It's simply math. 12 volts x 50 amps = 600 watts. So they got that right. But after that, the conversion of 600 watt to btu's isn't mathematically correct. 600 watts comes to around 2000 btu's not 10,000. Just doing the math, not judging.

Watts x 3.4 = btu's.

600 x 3.4 = 2040 btu's. How did they come up with a 600 watt heater producing 10,000 btu's? The math isn't right.

I'm not saying it doesn't throw out enough heat. I'm simply saying their math is suspect in rating a 50 amp 12 volt heater at 10,000 btus.

Last edited by Northof49 on Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Heating for Ghia Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
I'm going to go all metric on you bluedot.

You say your heater is a 10,000 BTU heater.

10,000 BTU = 10,550,559 Joules.

10,550,559 joules per second = 10,551 Kilowatts !!!

A 40 HP engine is only 29.83 Kilowatts.

10,550,559 joules per hour = 2.930 Kilowatts

That's a very nice amount of heat for warming up your car.

2.930 Kilowatts at 12 volts requires 244 Amps to create (P=IE)
That'd be a big alternator and 10% of what a VW motor can produce!

I'd say there is something not right about the 10,000 BTU

You also say your alternator is a 90 Amp Alternator and if all of that goes into the heater...

Power = Volts x current = 12 x 90 = 1080 Watts

That's still a good heater but more realistic when considering the sources of energy in a VW

Nothing personal here. Just numbers. I like your electric heater but maybe its being misrepresented by the supplier if it is labelled 10,000 BTU.

But there's no doubt that the installation works.

Nicholas

I really don't get why some ideas on here are challenged, even attacked so much more than others. If you bothered to actually read what bluedot posted, she didn't say it was 10000 BTU's the website she linked to did.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Heating for Ghia Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
If you bothered to actually read what bluedot posted, she didn't say it was 10000 BTU's the website she linked to did.

Actually bluedot did post it. Have a look at bluedot's entries at

Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:58 pm
Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:38 pm
Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:20 am
Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:35 pm

FACT Bluedot posted it four times
FACT This 600 Watt heater will take 293 hours to generate 10,000 BTU .
FACT imperial units suck because they cause so much confusion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: