Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40 HPMX 009 flat spot?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vwman37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: 40 HPMX 009 flat spot? Reply with quote

Ok so right now I have a 1650cc with a progressive and 009 with points replacement and high output coil and wires. I have a bad flat spot with my progressive and the 009. I am planning on getting dual 40 hpmx carbs and my question is will I experience a flat spot with the 009? I was going to keep my progressive and get a Pertronix SVDA from Aircooled.net but my progressive has a vacuum leak at the throttle shaft and the bad preheat system. Do I need to buy a SVDA with the dual carbs? I do not want to buy both if I don't have to. There isn't even a vacuum port on the hpmx carbs so I don't know how I would even hook up the vacuum port to the carbs. Any thoughts?
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The duals are better than the progressive, hands down. Easy to tune and get parts for. You can really get good at dialing them in. You can get them pretty close to eliminate a lot of the flat spot. (Ive had 3 engines with dual Weber Idfs and 009s...you can get it so that it is almost gone, but it will still be faint.) Hold off on the 034. I tried Svda distributors on my last 3 engines. Vacuum was so far off that they didn't work. I tried doing the T to both carbs, idle circuits completely closed, etc. Hooked up vac meter and they were not producing enough vac to activate cans. I have only had 034s work when I was running stock carburetor or dual single barrels.
Do the duals and see the difference. You bog and get flat spots when your idle jets and accel pumps are off on them...you have to clean them and dial them in= jets, pump squirts, sync'd with good linkage, timing adjustments. They are worth it! Don't mess with the distributor until you have already got duals and get them dialed in.
Vwman37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I will probably get them after christmas. What jetting should I use for a 1641cc? Is it possible to move 1 jet up to eliminate the flat spot? I'm sure I will be suprised on how much better it will run with dual double barrels because right now it sucks and barely idles because of the vacuum leak. Also, is the linkage that comes with them usable? In the future I will probably end up getting the CB Performance linkage and manifolds, but is this linkage ok for now? Like will it stay synched? It won't get run every day because it's going in a dune buggy but it gets run like 1 to 3 times a week. I don't care if I have to synch them like every month I just don't want to have to do it every week.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 HPMX 009 flat spot? Reply with quote

Vwman37 wrote:
1650cc with .... a bad flat spot with my progressive

yeah, does the pope shit in the woods?
The HPMX will be a huge improvement, if you don't mind speeding up the learning curve could also go for a set of some used weber 36 IDF or dellorto 36 DRLA
I'm not a fan of the empi manifolds.....but Empi has a premium kit that copies CB's linkage and manifolds.....so maybe those are ok
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used quite a few kits out there. One of the CB kits comes with offset manifolds. You ditch the hexbar crap and get the CSP bell crank style from CIP. Way easy to sync, quick to setup, quick to clean if you get shit in your carbs/jets. CB kits have better aircleaners. CB offsets are a little taller than my Empi offsets, and much fatter for match porting. Hard to fit with stock cylinder tin without mods.
I have also had a Redline kit. The Redline uses Spanish carbs but Empi linkage, Empi manifolds, etc.
Im not a fan of the Redline kits Ive had and seen.
Best thing to do, get the Deluxe HPMX kit from Ron at Car Craft. He sells the deluxe kit for $550 or so. Its the best deal around. **Offset manifolds, Hpmxs, velocity stacks, all parts included. They are pretty good carbs.

Im not sure on your combo and elevatoin, jetting can vary. On my 1679cc here in Oregon=

Idles were .55
mains were 125
air were 200

I could actually get away with jetting it a little leaner, but this is how it worked best in my heavy bus. It literally had NO flat spot.

I will add, the deluxe EMpi kit from Ron ($550)is almost identical to the CB kit, which sells for close to $800 from most vendors.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is CIP the cheapest place to get the CSP linkage? Right now they have it for $123.45. Not sure how long that price will be good, and it's still a big chunk 'O change. Was also wondering if the extra spring CSP sells is necessary with the current linkage sets.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dual HPMX carbs will work with the 009 but you will get better MPG with the SVDA.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only get the CSP linkage from a few places. I only know of CIP and Pierside. CIP is usually the cheapest, due to their constant sales. The spring is necessary for smoothest action. They designed it to be used with it. I originally tried to make it work without, but the throttle springs on my Webers overcame the linkage and wouldnt return to idle. Spring cured it. Ive used the CSP linkage 3 times and now, its all I use with duals. I have used the Scat linkage...it is cheaper but is aluminum and not anywhere as nice. It changes as the temps do...you have to set it when warm and it is usually off when cold. Also has allen head screws to mess with. The CSP arms snap right off the linage balls. I actually think the linkage is affordable, for how nice it is! Center pivot has ball bearings and EXCELLENT tig welding on the tangs. No complaint ever!
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been trying to talk myself into spending the money on the CSP linkage. Very Happy I'm not even going to mess with the hex-bar setup that came with the carbs. I figure I might be able to sell it to somebody to help cover the cost of the CSP linkage. I don't even plan to take it out of the packaging.
Vwman37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the HPMXs fit with this shroud and the stock manifolds?
http://www.appletreeauto.com/CHROME-FAN-SHROUD-AC119001/
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but don't buy that. There's no vanes in those, they are mainly for show not go.
IMO, use stock for heat, or modified stock or "scat doghouse" for no heat.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vwman37 wrote:
http://www.appletreeauto.com/CHROME-FAN-SHROUD-AC119001/

I think that's the shroud that Berg tested and said it actually raised engine temperatures 50 degrees. Confused
77charger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 44s in my sandrail and using the supplied linkage that comes with it.So far for the past 6-7 years i have not had a problem with them going out of sync.I do check it here and there but for the most part its not an issue.

It sees alot of rough bumpy driving too.The only thing i have had to do is adjust readjust the floats atleast once a season it seems one of the carb floats likes to readjust itself.But it gives me something to work on.
Auto linea alm case,82 dpr crank wedgemated by DK machine
cb 5.4 h beams,12 pound DPR f/w,Slr xv294cam,cb straight cuts,hpmx 44s,40x35 heads ported by brothers machine
Vwman37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have the shroud and an aftermarket oil cooler and the engine runs 190 degrees max on a 100 degree day so cooling is not a problem. Does anyone else have jetting suggestions for a 1641cc?
Vwman37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I was looking at a diagram of a weber IDF, and they have throttle shaft bearings. Do the HPMXs have these?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: