Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OC's Project "Some Day"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Eddies Wheel's for Pet's on facebook. They have helped out a lot of GSDs with mobility carts.

Steve
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having much experience welding aluminum I took the plunge last night welding the -AN fitting to the end of the Quad 4 fuel rail. It went surprisingly well.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Afterward I was able to test fit the rest of my fittings and the liquid filled pressure gauge.

I didn't get all that much done last night, but it dawned on me that I have very little to do to get this bugger running. I think I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Most everything is plumbing or wiring. That's just to run the engine.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set out to finish the gas tank this last weekend and I did. Took a lot of hours and a ton of argon. Now it fits between the frame rails, has a sump, baffles, and also a fuel sender flange. The stainless I was working with reminded again how badly I need a plasma cutter, ugh.

It's prolly a good thing I don't weld for a living because it took 2.5hrs to weld the sump. Stainless is a sob.

Just gotta test it for leaks.
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thing is really looking good! Its nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel.! We are within a week or so of firing the motor and should be street legal shortly there after.

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545394
HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, that thing came out boobies Cool
Looks like a torpedo, locked and loaded in there.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right above the axles and lower where I'm hoping it will help handling wise.
The tank started out flawless and beautifully polished and I quickly realized it was a waste of energy trying to keep it that way. It has a dent on one end from where it feel off the table and scratches galore. Not to mention welds that are far from cosmetically appealing. But the main thing is it holds up to abuse and is water-tight. Can't wait to pressurize it tonight and find out.
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, you will have it running in no time now.

Ed
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup gettin there. tested the tank with an air hose and a squirt bottle of soapy water. Fixed three tiny pin holes. Not bad at all for my first tank. I think I may still fill it with water and let it set before being 100% certain it's ready to go in.

I need to think of a way to cradle it between those two cross beams in the frame yet hold it off the air bags. I've been thinking of just bending some light gauge sheet metal and then welding an end to each beam. Two strips on either side of the tank. Then getting a semi mud flap and using that in between the tank and the metal to absorb shock and abrasion followed by some modified straps over the top...

Then next it's clutch pedal fab
thesatelliteguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a pic of that completed harness? Im just looking for ideas for wrapping it and some motivation of how the final product should come out. That'll provoke me to do a better job with the soldering/fit up underneither.

My build Page http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=383878
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there's several ways to go about it. I think your biggest concern is damage and having to go back and repair, right? This is all just my opinion and there's prolly better ways to some of it, but I don't have a ton of $ to throw around on fancy stuff so I finger out other ways.
One way is to use a large rubber hose over the wire bundle. Sometimes I'll do this in a spot where there's no avoiding chaffing. Heater hos works good.
Another thing to run wires through or even better, hoses, is thru a aeroquip fabric sock that is made for hydraulic hoses. I got a bunch of this stuff free and it really keeps things protected.
Another thing I get for free and I noticed is a growing trend in the custom market is a nylon woven mesh that acts like chinese fingers. It is fine strands of nylon and you can push it together end to end and open it up to slide wires through then pull it apart and it snugs down on the wire and then you hold it down with a bunch of tiny zip strips. I get this stuff out of junked Traffic signal control boxes but I noticed it's being sold at auto supplier too. It's what I'll be using. The benefits are the fact that it is very flexible making it easy to route the wires. It is also soft so it doesn't harm the wires and will glide across things it makes contact with. Finally, it is a mesh so any dirt that gets in will easily wash out. The only drawback I see is you have to plan it out when you solder things together because depending on the difference in size between your wire bundle and the connectors on the end, you won't be able to pull it over the connector so it's best to put it over the wire before soldering them together.

GRAINGER

I think any way you go about it a good supply of zip strips of different sizes will be your best friend. Zip the loom every foot or so and as often at anchor points as possible. If you use the mesh stuff you won't need tape really, but if you use that corrugated plastic loom you will have to wind tape around every branch off the main run to prevent abrasion and hold wires together. I don't like having to use tape because eventually it gets the wires all sticky and gooey and makes fixing them a pain. If you can get it, I recommend the mesh and zip strips to everyone. I bet it's cheaper too. $9/10ft? That's not too bad.

Just take your time and don't be afraid of redoing it if it doesn't look right to you.
I really can't wait for this part of my build because it is so easy and I can really let my OCD shine through. lol
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought of it before but maybe a little tutorial on how to make a harness might be helpful around here. Seems like everyone is buying premade harnesses and I can't think of why except maybe that wiring scares some people?
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me. I have some pretty funny video of my first ten foot run in my buggy the first time I built it and the small electrical fire because I didn't take my time and some wire melted and shorted together. I'll have to see if I can post it some how...
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabbed up a crude pedal assembly for the clutch. I made it so I could work it with my heel since I have a partial foot amputation and wear a boot which doesn't allow my ankle to flex. With a big 'shovel' pad I should be able to locate it quickly with my heel and push straight into it with out having the toe of my boot bend backwards like on a regular floor mounted pedal. Only problem; it got very big and very heavy quick. I'm going to see how this works first and then modify it from there. I don't even know how much stroke this thing will need to run the slave all the way out... so until then...

Also finally got some saddle bars welded in to cradle the gas tank. Just have to get materials to fab the pivots on the top side straps to hold the tank in. Then I'm just going to do some frame upgrades to the front and the windshield and that might be it besides having to weld tabs for accessories to finish it up.
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good. How long before you fire the motor up?

Ed
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

um good question... spring has arrived and even though I'd love to do nothing but work on this, which is what I've been doing, something's going to have to give eventually. Personally, I'm a mess. I haven't had ANY recreation in months much less exercise. Lotta yard work after a hard winter. But I got some of that done Saturday. Not to mention the wife patiently waiting in the house every night. Oh! And my pickup truck that needs to be completely overhauled next. LOL
I think once I get the tank strapped in, that will be the top of the hill. Then it's just plumbing and wiring, welding in tabs for things to mount to. Of course the exhaust system is still non-existent and I still want to add some tubing to the front end.
When ever I go into listing things yet to be done I start to have a slight panic attack. I'm really ready to wrap it up, but I gotta do it right. Don't need to rush it. It's just hard when I'm engineering and making just about every little thing from scratch without any real fancy tools.
A whole weekend just to make an ugly peddle assembly?
Yup.
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL sorry I asked Very Happy I know all of those same thoughts plus it's starting to be dirt bike riding season. Try to relax and enjoy the work if you can. I am starting to build a flat trailer kinda like the one you had, going that way so it can be used for more than just the buggy. When I do start my Baja Bug project I plan to take a couple of years and hopefully have fun with the build with no end date set or needed. Hang in there, your getting there Smile

Ed
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only reason I sold that trailer is because it sat a few feet off the ground. I used a mobile home axle that I widened. 6,000lb! It was scarey to ramp onto that thing and even though it pulled straight, the axle was far back to compensate for the rear engine so when empty it would yank up and down on the hitch! If I had another it'd be as close to the ground as possible. I built two motorcycle trailers the last two years, one a single place, the other was a last minute project before we went to Sturgis last summer. We pulled both my buds harley and mine on it behind a fifth wheel in a pickup. Oh my neck hurt after that trip! So I think when I build another it will be a "T" trailer for behind my motorhome. No plates or lights to worry about. Easy to stuff off in a corner of a campsite.
I'll be a happy camper that day! pun intended
thesatelliteguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
Personally, I'm a mess. I haven't had ANY recreation in months much less exercise. Lotta yard work after a hard winter. But I got some of that done Saturday. Not to mention the wife patiently waiting in the house every night. Oh! And my pickup truck that needs to be completely overhauled next. LOL.

Haha, i was just thinking this morning how my personal hygiene has gone down the drain, my social life is NLA, and im glad im in a welding class otherwise i would be failing from not doing homework.
Sounds like you need some time off, but maybe keep the car and garage all clean so its easy to go back to work on it, but take time for that excercise and fun!

My build Page http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=383878
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, things like the fuel tank cradle just ended up being too much to think about. I still have to make the top straps and I'm struggling with making up my mind how I wanna do it. I think I will just trim the bottom half off the straps that came with the tank and then weld some tube on the end so I have a hinge on one side and a tab to bolt down on the other... just for some reason I'm not happy about it lol. I just gotta do it and move on. Damn funk I'm stuck in!

Anyway hoping to get that done tonight... then who knows what lol
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics of fuel tank installed

Time to start piecing together the coolant hoses.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 21

Jump to: