Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OC's Project "Some Day"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should clarify that when I am referring to a 091 bell housing, it is for the air cooled or Wasser Boxer engines, not the one for the Diesel inline 4 cylinder.
In checking all the 091 bell housings I have the only thing I can find in differences is that VW added more material to strengthen them in the later years. The latest one I have is out of a 1985 Vanagon Wasser Boxer. It the most reinforced one I seen.
I bolted up the different 091 bell housings to a type I engine to see if there were any differences with starters to ring gear depth. No differences were found. Also used early and late starters to see if any engagement differences. They are the same.
All the engines in the USA using 091 trans used 228mm flywheel and clutch components.
There is one thing I have always done on the later 091 bell housings, is switch to the early clutch release arm for a cable getting rid of the stock slave cylinder mount and arm. It simplifies things for me as I can use a cable on some applications or use a CNC/Neal style of slave cylinder. Parts are readily available for converting. Arm and springs works fine on the later housings and fits on all the 20mm cross shafts.
I looked at the Vanagon clutch pedal and slave setup. I have never measure the throw of the pedal, it sure looks like it a longer throw (pivot point ratio) then the stock Bug pedals or the floor mount CNC/Neal pedals. The CNC and other swing pedal setups can be bought with different ratios (longer pedal arms). They may be closer to what came in the Vanagon.
I have use stock Bug pedals and the CNC/ Neal floor mount style to operate the clutch with a 091 bell housing on different buggies.
The master cylinder size I use is 5/8in diameter. It makes for a fairly easy pedal to push and has enough throw for proper clutch release. I tried using a 3/4in master cylinder, it was to hard to push with using a 228mm Stage II pressure plate.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JS you are a man amongst men! Thank you for going out of your way to give me all that info and feild research.
According to the number on the case my trans is newer than a 79. I think I figured '81. It was paired with a 2.0 L engine and has a 4.57 ratio. Any more detail is anyones guess but I would dare say it was the same as what you had to look at. Side shift on the front. I do think the front side shift makes a difference in length at the front of the trans but has no impact on the bell.

If I had to guess my throwout bearing guide tube is pushing on the clutch PP ring and causing the problems I'm experiencing.

Thanks for that info on the master cylinder. That would have come in handy last spring though when I bought the Wilwood MC, I think it was a 3/4". Oh well their easy enough to change out.

I'll just be happy to have the clutch push on something.

I spent the entire weekend building a new welding cart to hold my MIG and newly aquired plasma cutter. I'm hoping to get dry weather and the motivation to pop the engine out this week to swap out the pressure plate. I have a stage 2 Kennedy I pulled out of the baja this spring that will go in here. It's not a 228mm but I'm guessing it will be ok not to mention it will have to be since my custom flywheel is cut for a 200.

Then back to getting the engine finished.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update; got a wild hair and pulled the motor to examine my clutch situation. It won't be a big surprise that the TOB sleeve was pushing against the clutch finger ring. I swapped out the Sachs unit I had in there for the Kennedy stage 2 clutch that came out of Lazy Mary when I pulled the 4.86 out of her this spring. Everything would have gone smooth except for the fact that the splines on the kennedy friction disc got buggered up when I was aligning the motor. After what seemed like a very long time of fighting with the motor I realized this and swapped out the Sachs disc and used it with the Kennedy PP and what do you know- slid right in. Just about when I was gonna give up too.

Kinda crazy how badly my rear cage half lines up with all the mounting points in it. There are three 'flanges' on the upper tubing, I'd rather call them head smashers since that's what their best at, with three bolt a piece, the two trans mount big daddy bolts, and finally the two rear motor mounts. All these holes have to match up and, well, they don't. Next time it comes apart will be for painting and I think I'm going to drill out a lot of holes bigger. One things for sure though, that cage ain't gettin' busted for nothing!!!

I've got an idler pulley I need to fab a bracket for since I'm eliminating the A/C pump. Without the pump there's no path for the belt to run right. Shouldn't be too hard.

Then I need to find some appropriate radiator hose. I don't like the big corrugated crap they sell at the auto stores. It looks terrible and you can't cut it to length. There was some nifty stuff at a hydraulic store which is polly way over board but you can practically tie it in knots and it looks proffessional. Maybe I'll stop bye and take another look. I bet the stuff is $12/ft or some crap like that. It's pretty thick so I don't know if it's something that can be just clamped around a tube.
HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aint no thing but a chicken wing, my brother..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up 3 foot of that hose I mentioned. Parker EZ-Form GS hose to be exact. Along with 2 SS bolt action clamps it came to $40 for pete's sake.

I was planning on using this piece for the return that runs from one side of the engine to the bottom of the radiator on the opposite side, but I started to think maybe I'll just run straight lengths of aluminum tube and use this stuff for making the bends. I'm not sure though because the clamps are very pricey as well. But this stuff bends really good without any deformation at all. Not to mention it's tough stuff! No slicing hoses with sticks on my buggy.
winchin73blazinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great! I Cannot wait to hit the trails with you and your wife again! especially when you have your someday buggy to run with!
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

progress has been slow lately with a lot of distractions and my birthday month and all.
I've started reassembling what I've already done with the computer and thinking some more on how I want to do this wiring. I can sympathize with people who balk at the idea of wiring their car. Amazingly enough, I'm having the same problem but only because this is totaly custom and entirely up to my imagination which seems pretty limited lately.
As the buggy comes together space is getting tight and I have to plan carefully where things will go. I'm almost tempted to get back to chassis building and body work because that seems so much more intuitive now than where I'm going to locate my fuse box or how my gages will look. I just can't find a spot where I think they will look good or have room. I got so much I want to put on this monster that it's starting to look like I won't have the room and I don't want it ending up looking cluttered. I admire rigs which have big empty spaces and look so simple. This is evidently not going to be like that. It's gonna be a bitch to clean up too. dang it!

So I pulled the fuse box out of that Sunfire before I scrapped it and I was cutting off the tape and corrugated crap so I could see if I could use it instead of the little 6 fuse strips I had. It'd be great if I could because it take the mini blades and has a ton of spaces in a relatively small box which happens to be triangle shaped. But the more I looked at it and looked at my rig I could see I wasn't going to find a good place to mount it not to mention I'd have to fab a box to put it in since it's not waterproof at all and so open on the back side and front. So screw it I decided to ask my source for little fuse blocks for a couple more. That way I can hide one in a corner at both ends of the rig and still have decent fusing and be accessible without being a pain or eye sore. Just gotta wait for him to get them to me. Hopefully today.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Irestored my Thing, I added a marine grade fuse block and buss bar. They are waterproof units with removeable covers, work great. YOu could just go to Radio Shack and get a "Project box" and throw your little fuse blocks inside of one. Or use an old ammo can or something?
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those are great ideas, and I've already contemptated them but I really didn't leave room for anything like that lol.

TOO MUCH DANG TUBING!

I blame HERC as his encouraging me lol
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally tackled the A/C pump delete idler pulley bracket. Charging system ready.

I think the only thing left to make this engine whole is fabbing up the header and exhaust system.
Gonna start doing some wiring now
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you add any kind of gusset to that a/c delete bracket? I can see it flexing inward under a heavy load
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's not gonna flex. There's a gusset on the bottom half and it's some thick ass plate. It could double as a boat anchor. The camera angle kinda makes it look crooked. Let's just say I got it straight enough considering the warpage that the welding adds.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides it's just running the alt and shouldn't experience too much drag or vibes.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled my over head console out yesterday and gutted that out so I can start from scratch running wires out from the ignition switch. Still not certain where I'd like to put the fuse block but I think I might make a box for some guages that sits at an angle facing down inbetween the roof tubing behind the overhead lights infront of the driver. My roof skins I plan to make could be made to cover them up a bit. Might be a good spot for the fuses too?

HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you plan on painting those shocks, those are ugly.

Just messin with you homeslice...... Laughing Cool It looks beautiful
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all those pipes look perty.
biotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! Looking forward the next update.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's an overbuilt excercise in futility, but thanks for the sentiment!

work is tedious at this point for me. It's hard to explain to people who can just toss a motor in over a weekend and beat the crap out of it. I get hung up on details and wanting to do things the best I can and to make it easy to work on in the future. For example, I label every wire sometimes several places. But the good thing is I have most of the computer wired and routed except the Intake Air Temp sender because I haven't routed an intake pipe yet, and the O2 sensor since the exhaust is still just sperm in me brain.
Always seems to be other stuff to do as well. I got a motorhome that needs winterizing, a yard that's ragged and new fence posts that need panels built. lol Am I complaining again?!

Nah, I'm thankful to be able to work on this project and when it's done I'm prolly gonna be really bored. Well at least for a few minutes until I can tear into the baja. Rolling Eyes

Good thing I didn't marry some prissy little brat who couldn't hang in the garage with me when I'm out there all the time.
fishybastard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im the same way, some days I want to just put the motor in it and go out and beat on it but I just cant seem to let myself do that. The way I see it, if your going to do something you might as well do it the best you possibly can or not bother with it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 22

Jump to: