Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

J1 wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
So, I can now drag the suspense out for another week. Maybe a small episode later today.

Suspense, just like a good novel. I think you are doing this on purpose, with your experience in creating drama!... .

I wish I could give you a hint of what the ending will bring, but I'm afraid I have no idea. Much like my Ghia's restoration, with surprises cropping up all the time. Like today again, with the mirrors. I still have to work it out, let the story tell itself without undue interference from me.

As to Saving Emiko: I know this much: There will be a one Karmann Ghia, two AK 47s, three soldiers, and a woman who, in a different place must have been a soldier too. Or maybe a guerilla fighter. Maybe also a dog and a motorbike.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Marlonius wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think the bases of your mirrors are upside-down. If you flip the base 180°, so that the thicker part is at the top, the mirrors should be parallel to the ground. Here's a pic of my Ghia for reference...[/img]

You had me worried there, for a while, Marlon. I checked and they were as you say, thicker part on top, but as you noticed, the R side door mirror was skew. I had to find a solution elsewhere. What I did was to file/grind down the thin side to increase the angle. (I had a spare mirror base to use, in case I made a mess of the job.)

It's not quite perfect, but will have to do for now. The L and R are now at the same angle, at least.

What's the colour of you car, by the way? Not Gobi Beige, is it?
Marlonius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Wow, you work fast!

The colour is "Sea Sand". It's original to this '66. The mirrors are from a later year of car as I prefered the look of them and their slightly larger size for safety reasons. The bases are the originals though - that part didn't change.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
carl4x4 wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
WooleyNelson wrote:
Beautiful!!!!

I can't tell in the pic of your trunk liner, but it looks like the material has a repeating "Karmann" motif........Does it, really?

It's actually a sheet of material used by shoe manufacturers.

So what is this material called so I can see if we can buy it over here ?

I phoned the place where I bought it, Carl, and in typical (local) fashion, the man told me he had the manufacturer's details but would first have to get his manager's permission before he could give it to me. I asked to speak to the manager, and what do you know? Not at work yet. Try again at 11:30, I was told. I'll let you know.

Thanks for asking Smile
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Excerpt from the novel, Saving Emiko -

When De Villiers arrived at home the girls were asleep and Emma and Emiko were in front of the television watching a program about women giving birth. There were drips and tubes and needles and De Villiers winced. He kissed Emma on the cheek and fetched his dinner from the oven. He took a seat with his back to the TV.
'I need to talk to you about something,' he said to Emiko.
'And I want to tell you something too,' Emiko answered.
De Villiers tried to ignore the screams and shrieks from behind. 'Could we turn the volume down just a little? This is important.' he said to Emma. Emma pressed the mute button on the remote. They can watch later, De Villiers thought. It's probably a recorded program.
He took a mouthful of lasagne. He was hungry. It had been a long day.
'We are going to take down the gang that abducted you and your baby and I need your help,' he told Emiko.
Emma showed her disapproval with a slight shake of her head. It was in her eyes too.
De Villiers kept his eyes on Emiko. 'Would you be willing to help us?'
'Is it going to involve anything that is dangerous?' Emma asked.
'No,' De Villiers. 'Just a subterfuge, nothing more.'
'Yes,' Emiko said. 'Even if it's dangerous. Those people stole four years of my life. And four years of my child's life. And they killed my husband.'
'Good,' De Villiers said. 'I'll explain in detail tomorrow.'
He stood up to check whether there was anything sweet in the fridge. 'Can I tell you something now?' Emiko asked.
De Villiers was tired. 'Can it wait until tomorrow?' he asked. 'I want to say goodnight to the girls.'
'Okay.'
De Villiers went upstairs with a bowl of icecream. The girls were fast asleep in Zoe's bed, with Zoe cradling the little one in her arms, both mouths open, sweet and innocent.

It had been a long day, but one which invigorated De Villiers. He was in combat mode, in the planning stages of a major operation. He started by buying a cheap cell-phone and some airtime and phoned Barefoot Matt.
'I need you in Auckland ASAP in full kit,' he told Matt.
'Yes, Colonel.'
'Bring Anonymous too.'
'Yes, Colonel.'
'Charter a small plane and have the pilot fly you to Ardmore Aerodrome. It's on the outskirts of the city. No security checks of baggage and no customs or police.'
'I know Ardmore, Colonel.' A pause. 'What do mean, full kit?'
'We're going to a literary festival, Matt. A reading of Anna Karenina by Tolstoy. The first 47 pages.'
AK47s, thus, Matt deduced.
'Tell the pilot we'll pay cash at Ardmore. And he has to be on standby for three days to fly you back. We pay full fees for the flights, services and downtime.'
De Villiers allowed Matt to condider the logistics. 'I think we can make it work if we bring guitar cases and say we are a band with a couple of gigs in and around Auckland,' Matt said.
'Good idea,' De Villiers said. 'Text me on this number when you are about to land.'

De Villiers rode his motorbike to Auckland Airport and parked the BMW 1200 GS Adventure in front of a security surveillance camera. Time to make use of the gang's ill-gotten money, he muttered as he opened the pannier. Hy pulled out two bundles of notes, $10 000 each, and stuffed them in his pockets.
The flight to New Plymout took an hour in the small turboprop Fokker. De Villiers slept for 55 minutes. Rule Number Two of combat missions: Sleep when you can, because you don't know when you'll get the opportunity again. Rule Number One, he remembered as he stood at the urinal at New Plymouth Airport, was to "swing the tube", empty your bladder, before any action. You don't want to p*ss your pants when the bullets start flying, the instructor at the SpesForces school had said.
That was a long time ago, he said to himself as he zipped up his pants, but old habits die hard.

'Where is Whatever?' he asked the girl behind the counter.
'And who might you be?' she asked. De Villiers looked her up and down. Posh accent, probably from the UK, and a good school to boot. Red hair, pale skin, attitude. Must be Scottish or irish.
'A cash customer,' he said and pulled a bundle of notes from his pocket.
'She's at the back fitting a camera to a drone.' She waved him through to a back room.
So Whatever was a woman then?
Not quite. Whatever was bent over a low table fiddling with a drone's electronics. The hips were not those of a girl.
He looked up at De Villiers. 'Oh no, not you again! What is it this time?'
De Villiers explained. 'I want the best surveillance equipment money can buy to be installed in a car, like yesterday.'
'Legal or black-market?'
'Which is best?'
'Black.'
'Black it is then.'
'It will cost you.'
De Villiers put the $10k next to the drone.
'That enough?'
Whatever stopped counting a a thousand. 'More than enough.'
'Let's go then,' De Villiers said.
'I can't just up and leave,' Whatever complained. 'I have a business to run.'
'This is business,' De Villiers said. 'Serious business,' he added, 'and I've paid half your fee upfront, haven't I?'
'Half?'
'You heard right. Half.'
'I need an hour to get all the equipment and my tools together. How many cameras do you need.?'
'I'll leave that to you. I want a 360 view from a car parked in a workship.'
Whatever pocketed the money and said. 'I'll see you outside in an hour.'
De Villiers waited in the car. He slept for another 50 minutes.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

carl4x4 wrote:
...So what is this material called so I can see if we can buy it over here ?

I phoned the place where I bought it, Carl ... the man told me he had the manufacturer's details but would first have to get his manager's permission before he could give it to me. I asked to speak to the manager, and what do you know? Not at work yet. Try again at 11:30, I was told. I'll let you know.[/quote]

Thanks for asking :-)[/quote]

Carl, Here's the full story. I spoke to the manager (John) after 'phoning yet again. They don't return calls and they don't answer emails, it seems. John told me he doesn't know who the manufacturer is. (The other guy had the information yesterday, so it seems they suffered a loss of memory overnight.) When confronted with this, John gave me a long spiel about losing custom, as if people in Canada, the US or UK would otherwise have rushed to their door here in Auckland to buy the stuff.

Last edited by kiwighia68 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

[quote="carl4x4"]
kiwighia68 wrote:
carl4x4 wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
WooleyNelson wrote:
Beautiful!!!!

I can't tell in the pic of your trunk liner, but it looks like the material has a repeating "Karmann" motif........Does it, really?

It's actually a sheet of material used by shoe manufacturers.

So what is this material called so I can see if we can buy it over here ?

Thanks for asking :-)

Carl, I found it at last. There is a very faint logo on the panels. Texon. The parent company appears to be American at www.texon.com. The UK contact is at UK (Skelton) Customer Care Centre, Skelton Industrial Estate, Skelton, Saltburn-by-the-sea TS12 2LH. Tel: 01287 650 551 (contact person Emma Richardson)

The product is apparently called Texon Ecosole and comes in various thicknesses. An upholsterer or shoe manufacturer near you may have supplies.

Happy hunting.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

What's the quickest way to lower the front of a Ghia by, say, 2"? Advice please.

No, I'm not lowering my Ghia. I need the information for my story.
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
What's the quickest way to lower the front of a Ghia by, say, 2"? Advice please.

400 lbs in the trunk.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

NWGhiaGuy wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:

400 lbs in the trunk.

Very funny, Dan!

My mother, who had saved for 6 years to buy her first car, a 1964 Opel Station Wagon, carried a 200lb bag of peanuts harvested from our family farm in the boot to keep that car on the road. The rear had the habit of sliding out from under us on the corrugated dirt farm roads.

Read my next post please. You are one of the many people I have to thank for helping to get my car passed by the certifier guy.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

FINALLY!

My "Light vehicle repair record of certification" arrived by courier minutes ago. The certifier, after recording what needed to be done and what has been done, added the following note:

"This vehicle has been restored to an exacting standard - the very best I have been involved in."

I'm pleased as punch.

I'll take her in on Monday for the Warrant of Fitness. Don't look for me after that because I'll be on the road and unable to answer the telephone.
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
"This vehicle has been restored to an exacting standard - the very best I have been involved in."

Now there's a complement worthy of the work that's been done, congratulations! Cool
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
DorianL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
FINALLY!

My "Light vehicle repair record of certification" arrived by courier minutes ago. The certifier, after recording what needed to be done and what has been done, added the following note:

I'm pleased as punch.

I'll take her in on Monday for the Warrant of Fitness. Don't look for me after that because I'll be on the road and unable to answer the telephone.

Fantastic!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!

Now: DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Big congratulations on the certification! and many thanks for investigating the trunk liner, I will follow that up today.

Oh and for your story the quickest way of lowering a Ghia by 2" is dropped spindles but please don't do that to your car because it looks perfect the way it is Wink
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:

Pop the tires..... Smile

Your Ghia looks fantastic.

Or 5 bags of cement in the trunk.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
What's the quickest way to lower the front of a Ghia by, say, 2"?

Can you define quickest. A few seconds? The others have commented sufficiently well with "low skill required" answers.
If you have an afternoon and are sufficiently organised...
a) install drop spindles.. or
b) install adjustable beam

option a) would be quicker if you avoid opening the brake lines and have experience with pulling the joints. In other words you need access to a skilled person in an equipped workshop.

Nicholas.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Surely the hero in one of your novels would be a bit of a Maverick Chris. A "dare to be different" type, in other words, someone who would keep it stock. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

another quick way to lower the front would be to pull a few spring slats out of the beam.
73 super beetle
57 oval: build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616563#8616563
63 beetle reassembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7458619#7458619
2332cc engine build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608429&highlight=#8608429
84 vanagon westfalia wolfsburg edition
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

I took my car in to the Vehicle Inspection New Zealand testing facility this morning and met 'n nice young man from Prague - he's to do the testing. I also received my alignment certificate in the post. I'm afraid the numbers don't mean anything to me, and I'm of insufficient intellectual capacity to follow the guide in John Muir's book. A job for professionals, no doubt.

It's time, perhaps, for a few before and after photos:

I'd forgotten what a mess my car was. The mind plays tricks with us, erasing bad memories one by one.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Applause Dancing Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Jump to:
Page 64 of 90

Jump to: