Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Some progress in my efforts to "personalise" my Ghia.

I replaced the Roadstone 185/60/R15s [EDIT: 185/65/R15s...] all round with Hankook 165/80/R15. The car somehow feels better - vague as this statement and assessment may be. The speedo reads more accurately and the revs are 10% lower at 100kph (the speed limit out here in Hobbitland).

Nice long drive - 160 miles - on Sunday to a swap meet where I bought bullet shaped racing rear view mirrors. That project is on the to-do list for next week. I didn't find the Hazett tools I was looking for. Spent some time with my mate Dean - who is my first stop for advice on my project.

The velour for the remaining seat cover has arrived from TMI via KGP&R. As usual, Chris at KGP&R came through. Next job is to install the new seat covers on my Porsche seats.

I spent the whole day yesterday under the car replacing the original muffler with the stainless steel muffler I had made in South Africa last year. As fate had it, the new muffler didn't quite fit as one of the oval-shaped connecting plates stood proud by about 3mm and had been welded on at the wrong angle. Some cutting and grinding later I had the offending piece off and took the muffler to a South African friend who builds trailers - He welded the connecting piece back on and the muffler now fits properly. (He wouldn't accept payment, so I took them a cheesecake for his workshop for their tea-break. They pay for a favour in beer in Australia, I hear!)

The muffler sound has now changed from a tenor to a deep baritone, closer to the sound of the Porsches I once drove.

The film based on my novel Shepherds & Butchers will be shown at the Sydney Film Festival on 9 and 10 June (and Edinburgh on 21 and 25 June). I want them to make a lot of money because I'm already dreaming of another project. Maybe a 356C convertible.

This disease is incurable.

Last edited by kiwighia68 on Wed May 18, 2016 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Quote:

The film based on my novel Shepherds & Butchers will be shown at the Sydney Film Festival on 9 and 10 June (and Edinburgh on 21 and 25 June). I want them to make a lot of money because I'm already dreaming of another project. Maybe a 356C convertible.

This disease is incurable.

I've put the dates in my diary! Hope to get to see it and make a small contribution to the next project! Wink

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:

I replaced the Roadstone 185/60/R15s all round with Hankook 165/80/R15. The car somehow feels better - vague as this statement and assessment may be. The speedo reads more accurately and the revs are 10% lower at 100kph (the speed limit out here in Hobbitland).

Wait.. were you running 185/60 15s? Or was it 165/65 15s as mentioned in Dec? I'm asking because I'm using 185/65 15s with stock rims and long axles and am curious how well they will fit the rear when the body goes back on... I know the height on mine will be a little increased, but am more concerned about the width, which should be roughly the same as the 185/60 15s...

Quote:

Hope we can get to see the film soon here in Canada. Not necessarily to fuel your addiction (though I think all Sambanistas are enablers), but because I'm enjoying your writing, and am a big fan of Steve Coogan. An early 356 Coupe is my ultimate dream car!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:

I replaced the Roadstone 185/60/R15s ...

Wait.. were you running 185/60 15s? Or was it 165/65 15s as mentioned in Dec? I'm asking because I'm using 185/65 15s with stock rims and long axles and am curious how well they will fit the rear when the body goes back on... I know the height on mine will be a little increased, but am more concerned about the width, which should be roughly the same as the 185/60 15s...

Quote:

Hope we can get to see the film soon here in Canada. Not necessarily to fuel your addiction (though I think all Sambanistas are enablers), but because I'm enjoying your writing, and am a big fan of Steve Coogan. An early 356 Coupe is my ultimate dream car!

Sorry about that, Bob. I should have said 185/65/R15. (I'll put an edit on it.) I had no rubbing issues with a standard beam in front and standard drive and suspension at the rear - although the rear was/is sagging a little. My rubbing issues started when I lowered the front 2.5 inches - hence the change of tyres all round.

The film is due for general release in about September, I've been told, not that I'm really in the loop. The LA based script writer is the only member of the production company who keeps me informed. (The film will not appeal to the faint-hearted. As graphic, I believe, as the opening scenes in Private Ryan. So be warned.)
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
bobnorman wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:

I replaced the Roadstone 185/60/R15s ...

Quote:

Sorry about that, Bob. I should have said 185/65/R15. (I'll put an edit on it.) I had no rubbing issues with a standard beam in front and standard drive and suspension at the rear - although the rear was/is sagging a little. My rubbing issues started when I lowered the front 2.5 inches - hence the change of tyres all round.

The film is due for general release in about September, I've been told, not that I'm really in the loop. The LA based script writer is the only member of the production company who keeps me informed. (The film will not appeal to the faint-hearted. As graphic, I believe, as the opening scenes in Private Ryan. So be warned.)

Thanks for the info Chris, on both the tires and the movie. Good to know that they are likely to fit ok, particularly given that I’m not really lowering the car. Also, good to know that I’ll be able to see the film here in September…looking forward to it.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
I spent the whole day yesterday under the car replacing the original muffler with the stainless steel muffler I had made in South Africa last year. As fate had it, the new muffler didn't quite fit as one of the oval-shaped connecting plates stood proud by about 3mm and had been welded on at the wrong angle. Some cutting and grinding later I had the offending piece off and took the muffler to a South African friend who builds trailers - He welded the connecting piece back on and the muffler now fits properly. (He wouldn't accept payment, so I took them a cheesecake for his workshop for their tea-break. They pay for a favour in beer in Australia, I hear!)

The muffler sound has now changed from a tenor to a deep baritone, closer to the sound of the Porsches I once drove.

visiting your thread, haven't dropped by in a while, and noticed that i am having the exact same thing being done to my muffler as i write this, i had just put a regular replacement muffler on mine but one of the pipes didn't line up and i tried to make it work with a patch pipe but that didn't work out. pretty frustrating after all that work and the engine is still loud as hell.
exciting news about the film, i wonder if it will make its way down to el paso.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

I found a 500E hazet Tourist toolkit at a swap meet, but it is incomplete. I've placed an advert, but I'm not sure many will be looking:

Universal Pliers 760-3
Combination Wrench 600-14mm
Cranck Type Speeder 772-2
Combination Pliers 1850-6 (6") 1957

Can anybody help, please?
clarkare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Some of the items that you are missing are being listed on EBAY but at what I think are crazy prices, hopefully swapmeets etc might mean more reasonable prices
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

clarkare wrote:
Some of the items that you are missing are being listed on EBAY but at what I think are crazy prices, hopefully swapmeets etc might mean more reasonable prices

As you say, crazy price for the 772 I saw on Ebay, and that's before the shipping.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

I finally, after many trials and tribulations, got the Porsche seats re-upholstered and installed in my Ghia. My hands are sore - from pulling and fighting with the seat covers - and my back is aching more than it should. Long story short: I ran out of velour and had to wait for a shipment from KGP&R. Then the seat back covers were too big, and I had to add extra bolster on the sides. And then it's too cold here for the vinyl to stretch as much as I needed it too. So I had to borrow my wife's hair dryer.

Here are the seatback as prepared for the cover, the old cover and the new cover.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think it's clear from this photo that the new cover is bigger (wider) than the old one.

Remember, I'm installing old Porsche seats so that I won't have a problem with the seat belt anchors at the shoulder. And I'm keeping the original seats. The seat as re-upholstered:

This shows where the problem has been solved. The seat belt is now accessible at the shoulder - when previously the original seat was so wide I couldn't wrestle the belt around the seatback.

The seats installed: Note the valance to hide the rails.

They are firmer, narrower and lower than the originals. And I've installed them to give me more legroom.

Next job: Bullet style rear view mirrors.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

I took the new seats for a test drive this morning. Grey day here, with winter around the corner, as the photos will show. But first:

I installed a new stainless steel rear view mirror on the driver's side door (RHD). It not only looks better than the original, but is also not so floppy and prone to be bumped into.

With the car out in the iffy sun, I tried to take a photo of my Ghia in front of a New Zealand landmark, to follow John Moxon's lead. Unfortunately, there are no really old buildings in NZ - none more than 150 years anyway. (It's not called NEW Zealand for nothing!) But we have volcanoes, and some of them very young. The one behind the Ghia is Rangitoto, and it just stood up out of the sea one day not more than about 450 years ago.

I tried a black and white photo, but all it does is to show how bleak this place can be in winter.

A small disappointment: The door cards I got from TMI are already showing damage by water. When I ordered them I asked for the covers without the cardboard/Masonite but they said no. I'm going to have to replace them with the Texon board I used for my front luggage compartment liner.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

if your door cards are getting moisture damage, isn't that an indication that the moisture seal behind them is not right as opposed to the door cards being wrong?
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
if your door cards are getting moisture damage, isn't that an indication that the moisture seal behind them is not right as opposed to the door cards being wrong?

Probably.

And my fault.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Did you install the polythene sheet in the door? The Vapour barrier

Note how the bottom edge is tucked into the door whilst the top edge is glued to the door
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Thanks Nicholas. The Dutch have a saying that goes, "Algaande leert men," meaning that in time men learn.

I learn mainly by making a mess of things the first time round. As Mellow yellow has (correctly) suggested, it was my fault. The screen had come loose. (I would still have preferred that Texon board. Made of cellulose and impervious to water.)

We have sunshine today so everything is in the sun to dry out before I do a more careful refit. I'll post a picture when I get there.

PS Were you really up at 1am this morning to post your advice? Hard-working man, or a bad conscience keeping you awake?
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:

PS Were you really up at 1am this morning to post your advice? Hard-working man, or a bad conscience keeping you awake?

Moderators never sleep. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Badhabitz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read your build thread. Amazing job. Well done!!
I think the LHD ghia that was waiting for certing and reg in the pic you posted below is the 1960 ghia I just bought from trademe recently!!
My first ghia but in a long line of VW ownership.
Nice to see your car being built to such a high standard here in NZ. Not often seen. Well done again.

kiwighia68 wrote:
Went to hear the engine running. I'll try to post a video. (Can we do that?) Nothing as sweet as an air-cooled motor running - unless it's a lawnmower!

I learned one thing from my PO, and that is to mark every nut or bolt that has a torque value, so I asked Qualitat to torque everything to spec and to mark the torqued items with a spot of red paint. Like this:

There was another Ghia (LHD) waiting in line to be prepared for certification and registration. My car may be in 2 pieces, but I'm way ahead of this one.

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badhabitz wrote:
I think the LHD ghia that was waiting for certing and reg in the pic you posted below is the 1960 ghia I just bought from trademe recently!!
Nice to see your car being built to such a high standard here in NZ. Not often seen. Well done again...

Thanks, and welcome to the madness. If you're in Auckland, my friend Dean is the go-to-man for advice, help and often with parts. I have some extra goodies too. So keep in touch. (We don't have the advantage of numbers and the ready availability of parts, as they do in, say, California or Miami, so we have to work together more closely.)

I like the colour combination of your Ghia, by the way.
TheFop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badhabitz wrote:
Nice to see your car being built to such a high standard here in NZ. Not often seen. Well done again.

Great to see another NZ Ghia owner here, I saw your car on TM and it looks very nice indeed, really liking the colours and if you are in Auckland you should bring it to Caffeine and Classics or perhaps we should arrange a Ghia Gathering as there are a few more popping out of the woodwork now and its great to talk to other owners.

I went on a club run yesterday here in Auckland and it was great to see 3 Ghias turn up, My mustard 69, a 57 Low Light and a fresh out of the barn and back on the road 71.
The 71 is one of those urban legend type stories where it was owned by a lady who used it lightly to go shopping and see friends, eventually it ended up parked in a barn for a decade after her passing, it was found on flat tires with 30k miles on the clock from new.....they are still out there.

63 New Zealand Spec Beetle - Going Baja!
86 T25 Westfalia - Family Fun car
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

I've been away in Sydney the last few days to attend the screening of the movie of my book, Shepherds & Butchers, at the Sydney Film Festival. First things first: Sydney is a truly great city. The only other city I've ever seen that is of this quality in everything - from infrastructure to buildings to services to everything - is Hamburg.

I slipped away to pay a visit to Boris Orazem at Vintage Vee-Dub Supplies. (My wife insists that I structured the whole three days around that visit. Mmm. I'm not into denying indisputable facts.) Parts to make your mouth water. Advice to suit. Sydney quality. Fixed my problem with the turn signal switch in seconds. And I found a roof carrier to take home with me.

I read a book: Why do we enjoy working with our hands? by Matthew Crawford.

"... craftsmanship has been said to consist simply in the desire to do something well, for its own sake."

"You give it your best, learn from your mistakes, and the next time get a little closer to the image you started with in your head."

"Craftsmanship means dwelling on the task for a long time and going deeply into it, because you want to get it right."

Now I know why so many Sambanista take so much care to get the details of their restorations just right.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Jump to:
Page 72 of 90

Jump to: