Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheFop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good! those winder mechanisms came up beautifully.
When you rebuild after paint don't forget the anti rattle buffers for the glass, I did mine the other day and they make a massive difference, I can't explain it but the car just has a nicer more refined feeling when you drive.
I suggest also fitting the rear Qtr glass as I see the screw holes are gone, the outer chrome strip screws needs to be pretty accurately placed or the strips a bugger to fit.

Very jealous, this is going to be an amazing car.
63 New Zealand Spec Beetle - Going Baja!
86 T25 Westfalia - Family Fun car
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheFop wrote:
When you rebuild after paint don't forget the anti rattle buffers for the glass, I did mine the other day and they make a massive difference, I can't explain it but the car just has a nicer more refined feeling when you drive.
I suggest also fitting the rear Qtr glass as I see the screw holes are gone, the outer chrome strip screws needs to be pretty accurately placed or the strips a bugger to fit.

There's a lot of work still to do, and most of it is now about getting the detail right. I have the buffers for the glass and all new rubber everywhere - although I've lost the pieces that go inside the channels holding the glass. I think we might get to marking the places for the holes for the door trims - side trim as well as the chrome piece that goes on top of the door. The same for the quarter windows - those holes have been covered by epoxy, so I just have to open them up again.

The good news is that Phillip is quite fussy about quality - he won't allow me to take any shortcuts.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
TheFop wrote:

There's a lot of work still to do, and most of it is now about getting the detail right. I have the buffers for the glass and all new rubber everywhere - although I've lost the pieces that go inside the channels holding the glass. I think we might get to marking the places for the holes for the door trims - side trim as well as the chrome piece that goes on top of the door. The same for the quarter windows - those holes have been covered by epoxy, so I just have to open them up again.

The good news is that Phillip is quite fussy about quality - he won't allow me to take any shortcuts.

That's a very good thing, indeed!

... because a guy with your personality type would surely just run willy-nilly and cut every corner possible with some slipshot, half-assed money saving "fixes" (such as only taking one picture of an important and complicated area prior to disassembly).

Wink

Now please get back to the real purpose of this thread and provide us with another excerpt from your novel soon - you left us all hanging just when the plot took an unexpected twist. Smile
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
...The good news is that Phillip is quite fussy about quality - he won't allow me to take any shortcuts.[/b]

That's a very good thing, indeed!

... because a guy with your personality type would surely just run willy-nilly and cut every corner possible with some slipshot, half-assed money saving "fixes" (such as only taking one picture of an important and complicated area prior to disassembly).

:wink:

Now please get back to the real purpose of this thread and provide us with another excerpt from your novel soon - you left us all hanging just when the plot took an unexpected twist. :)

You are closer to the mark than you might think about shortcuts. I'm not a details kind of guy - more of a big picture person - but all the obsessives here on the Samba (no insult intended) and the guys in Phillip's workshop are forcing me to fall into line with their quest for prefection.

As to Saving Emiko: When I started this thread I had 3 objectives: To lose weight, to restore the car, and to write a detective novel that includes the restoration. I'm two thirds of the way with each of them, but let me tell you, it's hard work even though I enjoy it.

The next instalment might be up in the next 6 hours: I'm in bed on anti-biotics as yesterday's efforts have left me going backwards so far as my flu is concerned. I'll pep the storyline up a bit: Time for some sex and nudity, I think.

PS I'm taking lots of pics now, aren't I? Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Time for some sex and nudity, I think.

PS I'm taking lots of pics now,

Perfect!!
Im ready for some "50 shades of De Villiers".
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
DorianL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Quote:
Time for some sex and nudity, I think.

PS I'm taking lots of pics now,

Perfect!!
Im ready for some "50 shades of De Villiers".

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excerpt from the novel, Saving Emiko:-

The Landrover raced north at the speed limit. Barefoot Matt and Anonymous occupied the front seats and Vaishna and Emiko the back seat. The child was strapped into a booster seat between the women.
Behind them in the load section and among the men’s hunting and climbing gear De Villiers lay on a thin mattress. He drifted in and out of consciousness. When the pain and discomfort reached the point where he felt the need to scream, he shut his senses down and imagined that he was in the Kalahari with his Bushman companion, !Xau. Hiding from the South African army during the day and running long distances towards the Namibian border at night had been an ordeal until they fell in with a small band of Bushmen. It was there that De Villiers learned how to enter the void between the conscious and subconscious mind, what he thought of as a zombie state. The Bushmen entered the zone at will, but only after drinking a potent concoction the women made of desert plants and insects.
They danced, progressing in a circle, stomping their feet in the dust, making strange noises, mimicking the animals of their desert hunting grounds until they were in a trance. In time they fell down and lay where they had fallen until the next morning.
Their dreams would be the topic of conversation when they came to.
When thinking about it later De Villiers could not be certain that the events he experienced while in the back of the Landrover were real or dreams from his zombie state.

The Landrover slowed down rapidly and came to a stop. De Villiers heard Barefoot Matt call out. ‘Get in the back and lie down with him. Take off your shirt.’
De Villiers tried to open his eyes but the lids were too heavy to move. He drifted off again. There were voices but they sounded distant.
A hand softly stroked the back of his head. Fingers weaved their way through his hair. The smell of blood was overtaken by something completely different, a woman’s smell. He struggled to open his eyes.
‘Don’t look,’ a familiar voice whispered in his ear. Vaishna pulled him tightly against her chest. He felt her bare skin and warmth against his cheek.
‘Don’t look,’ she said again.
The voices became louder, more insistent, as the back doors of the Landrover were opened from the outside.
‘So what do we have here?’
De Villiers half opened one eye. There was a well-shaped breast between him and an armed policeman at the back of the Landrover.
Vaishna sat up slowly, taking her time to gather her bra and shirt.
‘What’s going on here?’ the policeman said.
She ignored him and started to fasten her bra at the front. She let the elastic pull the clasp from her fingers. The policeman stared. De Villiers looked on through eyelids closed to mere slits.
‘He’s got cancer, and the chemotherapy is making him sick,’ Vaishna said while buttoning her shirt.
‘And what are you doing back here?’ the policeman said. ‘You should have a seatbelt on.’
‘I’m just trying to comfort him a little,’ she said.
There was nothing to look at any more. ‘Yeah right,’ the policeman said, and closed the doors.
‘Move on,’ a different policeman’s voice said near the front.
‘What are you looking for?’ Matt asked.
Shut up, Matt, De Villiers thought. We’ve got to get away from here.
‘Don’t really know,’ the policeman said. ‘Looks like a war has broken out between the gangs back there. Two dead.’
I still don’t know what happened there, De Villiers thought. The policeman smacked the side of the Landrover with his hand. 'Move along,' he ordered. 'We've got enough sh*t without having to answer tourists' questions.'

‘You looked!’
‘I didn’t,’ De Villiers lied.
‘You did too,’ Vaishna said. ‘You think I’m stupid?’
‘Not stupid,’ De Villiers whispered. The pain was back and he grimaced. He spoke with great effort. ‘Certainly not stupid. Many other things, but not stupid.’
Vaishna climbed back into the passenger compartment, fastened her seatbelt, and leaned back to speak again. ‘What other things, then?’
‘Dangerous,’ De Villiers said. ‘Very dangerous.’
Vaishna turned her back on him.
‘And beautiful,’ De Villiers managed to say before edging towards darkness again.
‘You looked!’ Vaishna said. ‘I told you not to look.’
I couldn’t help it, De Villiers thought. How could I not look?
In the dream that followed he saw the perfectly symmetric volcanic cone of Mount Taranaki against a clear blue sky, but instead of snow, the top of the mountain had the shape and colour of a woman's breast.

De Villiers slept fitfully the rest of the journey to the doctor's house, his head on a makeshift pillow crafted out of a duffel bag filled with ropes and climbing gear laid over two AK 47s and Vaishna's pistol. Two weapons of war and a pistol that could be linked to the shootings back at the shed where the police had found the bodies. And all unlicensed.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I can certainly see why you chose Mount Taranaki for the imagery there. Very Happy
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been confined to bed by my doctor so I can't work on my car and I'm nice and miserable. I'm also struggling with meeting the deadline of the textbook I've been commissioned to write. It's almost as if the book just won't yield to my hand. I wish it was like metal. Phiilip told me that metal is pliable and will yield to the panelbeater's hand, to conform to the desired shape, but this damn book just won't do that.

When I'm miserable I pick up my pen and write something.

Excerpt from the novel, Saving Emiko: (somewhat premature, I know)

De Villiers woke up on someone’s kitchen table. There were pine kitchen cupboards with glass doors above his head. He recognised a tea set – Villeroy & Boch, Petite Fleur, his wife’s favourite. He turned his head. The usual kitchen things were there, lined up against the wall: stove, oven, dishwasher and a tall refrigerator.
‘Where am I?” he asked.
There was no response. He could hear the breeze outside the window; the sounds of a bush setting. There was a washing line with a woman’s frilly things suspended next to black jeans and a long-sleeved T-shirt. A black beret completed the gothic ensemble.

Outside on the veranda Vaishna set a tray with a teapot and cups for two down next to Emiko. It was her first opportunity to talk in private to Emiko since they had cut the dog collar tying her to the workbench in the gang’s meth lab from her neck. The little girl was playing with a puppy on the lawn with Lake Rotorua forming the background to this unhurried domestic setting.
‘Can we talk now?’ Vaishna asked. ‘Are you ready to talk?’
Emiko cupped the tea between her hands. Steam rose from the top of the dainty porcelain and swirled in front of her face. She nodded, her eyes following her daughter’s movements across the lawn. The child appeared to be happy, unaffected by their ordeal.
‘What happened, Emiko?’ Vaishna said. ‘Why did you disappear?’
Emiko sighed and sipped from the cup. When she answered her voice sounded mechanical, like a recording, as if the speech had been rehearsed. Her English, after seven years in New Zealand, was good but accented.
‘I fell in love and wanted to stay. My mother said it was okay but my father immediately booked a flight for me to go back to Japan. So I ran away.’ Emiko waived her hand towards her daughter. ‘And that’s what happened.’
‘Where is the child’s father?’ Vaishna said. ‘Do you want us to go and look for him?’
‘He’s dead,’ Emiko whispered.
‘Oh,’ Vaishna said, caught by surprise. ‘Do you know what happened to him?’
‘We were married and he was working in a law firm. One day he said he had to see his brother. He told me he had been given a big promotion and would be doing insurance work and had to tell his brother he could no longer do their work. We went to the Coromandel and he told me to wait with Moana at his brother’s house. He went to see his brother.’
‘And?’ Vaishna prompted her.
‘The police came and said he was dead, and his brother too.’
‘Who is Moana?’
‘His sister.”
The men came back up the driveway in the doctor’s car. Vaishna stood up and put her hand on Emiko’s shoulder. ‘You’re safe now. I think you can see that. I have to go inside but I want you to think about the future. Tell us if you want to go home, and we’ll help you.’

The homicide detectives were finally ready to hand the scene over the DI Leighton-Jones and his team. There hadn’t been much to see, from a homicide point of view. There were two dead bodies, one clutching a hunting rifle and the other a saw-off shotgun. Both weapons had been fired. The shotgun blast had gone into the far wall but there was no hole anywhere corresponding with the hunting rifle’s ammunition. The bodies had small entry wounds and unusually large exit wounds, suggesting that special ammunition had been used. The lead bullets would explode on impact and tear through muscle and tendons. Ballistic tests to match the remnants of a bullet to a particular weapon would be near impossible.
‘What’s more,’ the homicide detective in charge told Leighton-Jones, ‘is that we have been unable to find any shell cases from the weapon that was used. There were two shots to the chest of each victim, and I would expect that a pistol has been used, but then there should be spent cartridge cases, and there are none.’
‘Maybe it was a revolver,’ Leighton-Jones suggested, ‘and then the cartridge cases would have been retained in the cylinder.’
‘Nah,’ one of the homicide men said. ‘This kind of shooting…’ he pointed at the bodies, ‘this degree of accuracy can only be achieved with a pistol, and then only by someone who is an accomplished marksman.’
Leighton-Jones scratched his nose. If this had been a gang killing, he would have expected an unsophisticated ambush with shotguns. ‘How good?’ he asked.
‘Better than anyone we have in the Armed Offenders Squad.’
‘Would that explain the absence of spent shells?’ Leighton-Jones asked. ‘What kind of person are we looking for?’
‘Professional, and extremely dangerous.’
There was a pause. ‘And forensically aware, hence no empty shell cases,’ the officer in charge added.

Back in Rotorua the professional and extremely dangerous shooter looked down at her boss. ‘How are you?’ she asked De Villiers. She was dressed in her sari again.
‘I didn’t look,’ he said. ‘I swear.’
Vaishna smiled. ‘You’re lying, but I forgive you.’
‘Where am I?’ De Villiers wanted to know.
‘Your colleagues have found a doctor who is willing to treat your wounds without reporting the matter to the police. They say he is one of you.’
‘Who are you, Vaishna?’ De Villiers asked. ‘Who are you, exactly?’
She ignored his question. ‘The doctor is here now and he’s ready. Just follow his orders, will you? Just for once, do as you’re told, okay?’
‘So how is our patient?’ a man’s voice said behind Vaishna.
The man leaned over De Villiers. ‘How are you, Colonel?’
‘Who are you?’ De Villiers said. Behind the doctor Barefoot Matt and Anonymous looked at each other and grinned.
‘I am Captain Joe van Rooyen, one time medic in the SADF, later a Recce operator, then a doctor at 1 Mil for a while, and currently a surgical registrar at Rotorua Hospital. Is that good enough for you, Colonel?’
The military talk confused De Villiers. ‘What are you going to do?
‘Don’t worry, Colonel. I know a thing or two about bullet wounds, and although my skills are a little rusty, I’m still better than anyone else around here.
‘Let’s start,’ van Rooyen said and nodded to Vaishna. ‘Cut his shirt and trousers off. Start at the feet.’
A minute later De Villiers was naked on the table.
‘My,’ Van Rooyen said, touching the scars one by one with his gloved hand. ‘Old wounds aplenty, and an operation scar as well.’
‘Don’t look,’ De Villiers told Vaishna. ‘Don’t look.’
‘Too late,’ she said. ‘And now we’re even.’
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Too late.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:

I can certainly see why you chose Mount Taranaki for the imagery there. Very Happy

WTH? That's freaking awesome!

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpjohns wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:

I can certainly see why you chose Mount Taranaki for the imagery there. :D

WTH? That's freaking awesome!

You should come to visit, Jared. We speak English and play cricket here - you may have noticed eh! - and also drive on the left. We have many sights and places to visit - some like Taranaki, some completely different. Our summers are cool and our winters mild.

Someone might even lend you their Ghia!
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
You should come to visit, Jared. We speak English and play cricket here - you may have noticed eh! - and also drive on the left. We have many sights and places to visit - some like Taranaki, some completely different. Our summers are cool and our winters mild.

I actually do want to come there but for selfish reasons. I really really want to go to Matamata and visit the Hobbit sets. I'm a LOTR freak and think PJ is the best director ever. It's about a 15k trip though so we are saving Crying or Very sad

TheFop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpjohns wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:

I actually do want to come there but for selfish reasons. I really really want to go to Matamata and visit the Hobbit sets. I'm a LOTR freak and think PJ is the best director ever. It's about a 15k trip though so we are saving Crying or Very sad

Its funny that we take some of these things for granted like living anywhere, I often drive through Matamata and stop at a really good Indian restaurant there, but I've never bother going to Hobbiton but I hear its really good.
Not far from Matamata is the Tongariro crossing which is a 1-3 day walk through a national park that takes you right past Mt Ngauruhoe which is better known as (outside of New Zealand) Mt Doom.
I even know a few people who played orcs and things in the movies....New Zealand is a small world...there's only 4.5 million of us here, that's not even a enough to constitute a decent city in most countries.

I'm not sure if you know PJ's earlier stuff but you can also visit the locations of Bad Taste just outside Wellington at Pukerua Bay, I didn't realise until I was watching the movie one night and recognised the scenery.

I don't work for the New Zealand Tourisy board but I have to say its the most amazing place I've ever been, the scenery is breathe taking and varied between the West and East Coasts and the North and the South Islands and the people are the most wonderful and warm I've ever come across, as an immigrant myself this song by local legend Dave Dobbyn sums up just how welcoming it is.

Link

I get a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye every time I hear it.
63 New Zealand Spec Beetle - Going Baja!
86 T25 Westfalia - Family Fun car
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Ngatea today - still crook (the local word for sick or ill) but I had to finalise a few things before I could leave for my annual trip to South Africa.

There are some tabs (those strips of metal that hold wires and cables in place) missing or damaged and I marked them all so that Phillip can replace and repair as necessary. I marked holes where I want a second wiring loom to go through on the right hand side. The floor vent openings have to be adjusted and cut so that the plastic vent covers will fit. Two small triangular pieces - my first effort at creating something out of metal plate - still have to be welded in at the corners at the bottom of the spare wheel well. And so on.

We settled on the colours, at last. Two tone she will be, and both will be VW original colours, and they will be specific to a '68 Ghia. Looking good, so far. I think the car will be in paint by the time I return.

I'm going to buy some cheap parts in South Africa: like a stainless steel exhaust.

What haven't decided is whether I should leave Detective Inspector Pierre de Villiers on the surgeon's kitchen table, wounded, naked and in pain (with some gratuitous embarrassment thrown in) until I return.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:

What haven't decided is whether I should leave Detective Inspector Pierre de Villiers on the surgeon's kitchen table, wounded, naked and in pain (with some gratuitous embarrassment thrown in) until I return.

Ah yes there's the problem...leaving us and Pierre hanging (Pierre literally)...I'm concerned Pierre with never slip a Cricket box down his whites again. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:

Ah yes there's the problem...leaving us and Pierre hanging (Pierre literally)...I'm concerned Pierre with never slip a Cricket box down his whites again. :?

I already feel sorry for the man. Maybe I'll do something overnight (that's when the Muses visit).
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a rivalry between NZ and AU? I ask because I have a friend that I game with and he is from Sydney and when I told him I wanted to go to NZ he asked why? He said NZ is garbage (his words)... I figured it was kind of like a Virginia/West Virginia thing.

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpjohns wrote:
Is there a rivalry between NZ and AU? I ask because I have a friend that I game with and he is from Sydney and when I told him I wanted to go to NZ he asked why? He said NZ is garbage (his words)...

Sounds like he's never been. Laughing

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpjohns wrote:
Is there a rivalry between NZ and AU? I ask because I have a friend that I game with and he is from Sydney and when I told him I wanted to go to NZ he asked why? He said NZ is garbage (his words)... I figured it was kind of like a Virginia/West Virginia thing.

Jared, My tuppence worth is this: You should never take seriously an opinion that is expressed in emotive terms and is devoid of content and context. If NZ were "garbage", wealthy Americans wouldn't be buying up her best farmland.

As I write the NZ and AU prime ministers are discussing a joint expedition against ISIS. We are good friends. I'll be flying on Qantas (AU airline) tomorrow. Good country, good people. Totally different in topography to NZ. You should come to visit both of us and decide for yourself. (There may be a Ghia waiting for you!)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Jump to:
Page 35 of 90

Jump to: