Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdcaul wrote:
Hi Kiwighia 68...I also managed to get the material on the pillars. May I ask you as to how far down the "flaps" went on the pillars? My big challenge now is doing the relielf cuts for the headliner in the corners,
do you have any pictures where you cut?

Thanks,
Kevin

Hi Kevin, I took the "flaps" down as far as necessary so that the dash pad would cover the lower part of the headliner on the A pillar and at the rear, the parcel shelf would cover the lower part. I hope these two photos show what I mean.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I didn't take pics of the top of the headliner at the corners. I didn't have to make cuts because the material is quite stretchy. I was able to pull the material down a good 2 to 3 inches on the A and B pillars without having to cut. You should be able to see on the photos where the overlap is on each pillar.

The method I used was to apply the contact adhesive to one side of the pillar and material and to fasten that down securely. I held it down with clips and then applied the adhesive to the other side, waited for it to set, and then pulled it very tightly across the pillar to the other side, making sure I had an even surface all the way down the pillar.

My advice would be to be patient, do one side (for example, the inside of the A pillar) first, and then the outer side (where the door meet the pillar) next.

Best of luck.

Chris M
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought my car home yesterday, having to muscle my way through Friday afternoon traffic, driving the painter guy's Ford Falcon truck and hauling Emiko on the panel-beater's heavy trailer. There was no fun in that, I can assure you. (I fell asleep at 7:15 - according to my wife - and slept for a solid 11 hours before I had to take the truck and trailer back.)

My Ghia looks good in my garage, and I feel a sense of relief - like being released from prison. While I've enjoyed working on the car with the men at the panel-beater's, and notwithstanding their outstanding hospitality and friendship, I did feel like an intruder - although they assure me that I was not.

But just look at the product of their expertise:

If there are better curves on something (or somebody), I would like to see them.

ScottDoonan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNBELIEVABLE! So beautiful, keep up the great work. I love this car it is so classy and timeless.

1959 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet (current restoration)
1965 Porsche 356 SC coupe
1967 Volkswagen Convertible Beetle
1969 Porsche 911E Targa 3.2 twin plug
2006 Porsche 987 Rüf 3400K Prototype #2 of 2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a beauty...I'm saving my congratulations for the great day but so far it's not bad. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colour is looking better and better the more details are added Smile
TheFop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:

If there are better curves on something (or somebody), I would like to see them.

When I took my Ghia in for its warrant the other week I got talking with the mechanic who is into early 911's and he remarked "When you park your car up and you're walking away if you don't stop and turn around to admire it then you've bought the wrong car" Laughing

We all have the right car.
63 New Zealand Spec Beetle - Going Baja!
86 T25 Westfalia - Family Fun car
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheFop wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:

When I took my Ghia in for its warrant the other week I got talking with the mechanic who is into early 911's and he remarked "When you park your car up and you're walking away if you don't stop and turn around to admire it then you've bought the wrong car" Laughing

We all have the right car.

When I go out for lunch to a pub I always take a seat near the window or in the garden overlooking the car park...force of habit. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't understand what's going on here. I trial fitted my steering column this morning so that I an manoeuvre the car about while I'm fitting all the parts back on, but the steering column looks like it's skew.

Note how the column comes out of the tube at an angle, here.

In the photo taken from under the dash, the column looks straight. What's going on here?

Or is this how it should be? (My car s RHD.)
TheFop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your steering box in the right position on the beam? if its not located correctly it could cause this.
63 New Zealand Spec Beetle - Going Baja!
86 T25 Westfalia - Family Fun car
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheFop wrote:
Is your steering box in the right position on the beam? if its not located correctly it could cause this.

I've checked and double checked. I also wondered whether it could be the beam I bought from the V Dub Shoppe. It came off a Beetle, or so they said. I can't find any evidence that it has been narrowed.
Brassneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look "off"...but I also notice that you've attached the the shaft to the steering box directly...whereas the shaft's two bolts connect to the coupler on the top/bottom, and the steering box connects to the left/right coupler holes.

Perhaps that's part of the problem?
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassneck wrote:
It does look "off"...but I also notice that you've attached the the shaft to the steering box directly...whereas the shaft's two bolts connect to the coupler on the top/bottom, and the steering box connects to the left/right coupler holes.

Good catch. The rag joint properly set up will allow more flexibility you are looking for.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swavananda wrote:
Brassneck wrote:

Good catch. The rag joint properly set up will allow more flexibility you are looking for.

Thanks, you (both) were right. I've fixed it, but the shaft is still skew. It's almost as if it wants to meet the steering box an inch or so to the right (facing front) and remembering that it's RHD.

Brassneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any adjustment at the column/under the dash, through the firewall, to help correct the angle? I know there's some forward/back adjustment...but can't recall if there's any up/down adjustment.
racoguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steering box is in the wrong spot, can't be anything else. Loosen off the clamp holding the steering box and move it over enough for everything to line up.
Looking great, I might as well give up on mine as you'll finish yours WELL ahead of me Laughing
JLSylvester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my wife is in Chicago on a business trip with our 6 month old. The three girls are at their grandparents. I spent the last three days binge reading this thread. Time well spent.

I was going to get my Ghia off the trailer that she has been on the last three years as we tried to figure out where we were going to live. But talking to the Highway Patrol and finding out that to get all the paper work figured out to get it titled I had to take it to them to have it inspected to make sure i didn't steal it and that the last registered owners don't want it (last titled in the 1970s) what is the point of taking it off the trailer. So it is back in the barn.

Anyway I have learned so much from this thread that I will take into my own restoration. I kept finding myself getting lost in the story Chris and I would move onto the next post and say to myself "That does't fit into the story." before i would realize that it was in fact not part of the story. I will be looking forward to reading the published manuscript.

What is the name of the book that they are making into a movie? I would like to read that too. Great narrative style and your voice is engaging.

And of course your restoration is stunning. I don't think that there is another car as beautiful as the Karmann Ghia. And the attention to detail you have put into yours makes for one sexy ride.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="racoguy"]Steering box is in the wrong spot, can't be anything else. Loosen off the clamp holding the steering box and move it over enough for everything to line up. quote]

That's what I think too. First job tomorrow. I'm not sure it can be moved over, but that's another story. I'm working on something a bit easier now, the rear parcel shelf.
racoguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The steering box just slides along the upper tube of the beam, just loosen the clamp bolts quire a way and pry the cap off with a screw driver if you have to.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To set the angle and position for the steering box there should be a dimple on the top tube of the beam that lines up with one of the notches on the bracket/clamp. The notches are in slightly different parts of the clamps edge (asymmetrical?) and are labeled 11 and 14 if I remember correctly. The 14 refers to Type 14 Ghia. Line that notch up with the dimple on the beam and it should be fine.

However, without the dimple you might have to use "guestimation".

Nicholas
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
To set the angle and position for the steering box there should be a dimple on the top tube of the beam that lines up with one of the notches on the bracket/clamp. The notches are in slightly different parts of the clamps edge (asymmetrical?) and are labeled 11 and 14 if I remember correctly. The 14 refers to Type 14 Ghia. Line that notch up with the dimple on the beam and it should be fine.

However, without the dimple you might have to use "guestimation".

Nicholas

Thanks, Nicholas. I took a hard look at my set-up in an effort to eliminate the impossible so that I'll be left with a rational answer. I started with the replacement beam, which next to the old one looked like this before I cleaned it up.

Note that the markings (rust) where the old steering box had been clamped are in the same position as the marks on the one at the back (that came off the car). Everything else matches - between the two beams.

The guides for the clamp are underneath - and you can see them on the old beam at the back. I have mounted the steering box with the clamp with the 14 arrow pointing to the front as the manual advises. (The other number is 13, by the way, and is for a Beetle.)

It isn't possible to move the steering box to the right (facing the front of the car) because the arm under the steering box then runs foul of the tower, I think.

The steering column was removed by someone else in my absence at the beginning of my restoration, and I'm beginning to think it must have been exactly as it is now, although that is not a very satisfactory answer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Jump to:
Page 50 of 90

Jump to: