Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 71 Small Pop Top Riviera
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackivory69 wrote:
Tcash wrote:
Looks great.
So what was the diagnoses at the engine builder.
Tcash

He called me after a week, so I went there and pick it up.
It would help if I understood when a week ago was. You posted the picture of dropping it off on the 18th. Two days ago. Are you posting events that happened in the past and if so How long ago?

I forgot what he told me (or I just didn't care anymore) but he said they had to open it up again.
This is important to know. Knocks can be caused by a lot of things. Some if not fixed correctly will cause you problems later on.

And he told me that the starting problem was also gone.
Wonder what it was?

So after I installed it, yes the knocking was gone.
This is good.

But a little bit of oil still coming out from that valve. I think it's coming out from the pushrod (tube) o-ring.
If it is the Pushrod Tube leaking. aeromech had some extra replacement pushrod tubes that do not require removing the head to install.
http://www.jayceevw.com/products

Looks great. I just don't want you to have problems with the engine down the road!
You can search the Feedback on prospective vendors here:
Buyer & Seller Feedback
If you cannot find them ask about them in the Forum.

Good Luck
Tcash
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

It would help if I understood when a week ago was. You posted the picture of dropping it off on the 18th. Two days ago. Are you posting events that happened in the past and if so How long ago?

Sorry Tcash if I confused you. I apologize. Yes, these events all happened a few months ago now and just trying to catch up the thread. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
1969 Buggy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I turned my attention to the back of the bus. I know I want a tow hitch. Mainly just for bike or motorcycle carrier. I was thinking of just ordering it from jeremyrockjock >> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=458811
For $175 (and that is shipped Shocked ), I don't know if you can top that. Plus it looks really solid. My problem is, I'll be limited on what exhaust system to use. But if you can live with that, that is really a good deal.

I had some beam that I got for free from my work (they just threw them away). I already used one for the front, now time to fabricate my tow hitch. And this is what I came up with:

Img57:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Img58:

Img59:

I think I can tow something heavier than my bus with this hitch. Something like the NASA Space Shuttle. Yeah!!! In your dream!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
1969 Buggy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackivory69 wrote:
Thanks blue72. Will you powder coat it too or spray? I did mine in gloss but if I'll do it again I think I'll like it flat better.

I will probably just spray them with the same stuff I spray my engine tins with. It's high temp satin black engine paint, can't remember the brand, I think it's dupli-color. I get it at Advanced Auto. It's very durable, I use it on lots of stuff.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue72beetle wrote:
blackivory69 wrote:
Thanks blue72. Will you powder coat it too or spray? I did mine in gloss but if I'll do it again I think I'll like it flat better.

… can't remember the brand, I think it's dupli-color. I get it at Advanced Auto. It's very durable, I use it on lots of stuff.

If you do use Duplicator Engine Enamel, try the Rustoleum Engine Enamel. You'll thank me later………
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your bus looks really great, nice job! Thanks for doing all the updates to this thread, I really enjoyed it. I had a big smile on my face when I watched the video!

PS, If you haven't already you should think about removing the powder coating where the lug nuts seat. It can cause the lug nuts to loosen while driving, check out this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=94312
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

If you do use Duplicator Engine Enamel, try the Rustoleum Engine Enamel. You'll thank me later………

I'll try that also the next time I need to spray something fast, instead of the regular Rustoleum enamel, I guess it's tougher and more durable? Thanks for the tip Very Happy
1969 Buggy
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuco wrote:
Your bus looks really great, nice job! Thanks for doing all the updates to this thread, I really enjoyed it. I had a big smile on my face when I watched the video!

PS, If you haven't already you should think about removing the powder coating where the lug nuts seat. It can cause the lug nuts to loosen while driving, check out this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=94312

Thank you very much stuco. I'm glad you enjoyed the thread.

That was the first thing I did when I took off the rim from the oven, I Dremeled those holes for the Lug nuts. You know that you are saving life just for reminding us that kinda stuff, right? So thank you very much for doing that. This is you >> 👼
1969 Buggy
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem at all, better to mention these things just in case! Cool
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what does the hitch look like after the installation? Here it is:

Img60:

Img61: Sorry for the very blur photo

Yeap! It's inside the bumper. All you can see is a square hole on the bumper where the receiver is (I apologize to the purist Embarassed ). I'm still deciding if I'm gonna make a cover for that or buy the tow hitch light as 3rd brake light. Sorry, I didn't take photos of the installation but it's pretty much straight forward. It was installed on the side of the main frame w/ 2 bolts on each side. Then the bumper bolted on the hitch elemenating the bumper bracket. But if anybody wants photos I'll be happy to oblige.😇

Now I can use any kind of exhaust system I want. For now I have the EMPI single quiet pack but I'm saving some $$$ for vintage speed for my next engine build. Wink
1969 Buggy
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Remember this?

Img11:

For the love of me, I cannot find anybody who make this canvas for the Small Pop Top Riviera. I called everybody, researched some blog, surfed the net, and NOTHING. Yes, they make one for the Westy but that is smaller than the Riviera. There was one vendor who make this but his website was old and not updated. So,,, I ordered Sunbrella and brought out my Mom's sewing machine. Yeap! I started sewing Very Happy

Img62:

A little background about my Mom. She was a retired Home Economics Teacher, and yes, sewing was one of her expertise. She taught me a little but i leaned a lot watching over her shoulder when she had sewing projects. So when I was in high school I was the one cutting my own pants and shorts. I guess it pays to have rubber neck sometimes Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
1969 Buggy
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic! It looks like you're working on your bus like it's your job! People look surprised when I tell them I sewed my own janky curtains, wait until you show them this!!

For what it's worth, I notice a good deal more drivers leaving space behind me with my third brake light.

Keep it up!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Fantastic! It looks like you're working on your bus like it's your job! People look surprised when I tell them I sewed my own janky curtains, wait until you show them this!!

For what it's worth, I notice a good deal more drivers leaving space behind me with my third brake light.

Keep it up!
Robbie

Thanks Robbie.

Ps. It's awesome to finally meet and talk to you on the Bob Baker show Smile .
1969 Buggy
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's the final product,

Img61: I still need to add springs on top to give it a little more hold of the pop top. I only have lower springs that why it was a little wrinkle.

1969 Buggy
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks fantastic.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Tcash, and it was a treat to see in person! By far my second favorite bus at the show! (Next to mine, of course! Very Happy ) It was great to meet you Albert.

justcruzin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That came out great. Wish I could sew like that!! Great that you picked it up from your Mom! Very Happy

1964 Split Window Bus
1966 Beetle Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472933
1969 Delivery Van= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566282
1970 Westy Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479538
1971 Squareback Build Thread = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6652459#6652459
1970 Single Cab, Samson = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8022609#8022609
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
I agree, Tcash, and it was a treat to see in person! By far my second favorite bus at the show! (Next to mine, of course! Very Happy ) It was great to meet you Albert.

Bob Baker?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep!
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Looks fantastic.

Thanks Tcash.

asiab3 wrote:
I agree, Tcash, and it was a treat to see in person! By far my second favorite bus at the show! (Next to mine, of course!Very Happy)It was great to meet you Albert.

lol. It was awsome to finally meet and talk to you in person Robbie. We saw you having a siesta by the beach on our way going south after the show. Smile

justcruzin wrote:
That came out great. Wish I could sew like that!! Great that you picked it up from your Mom! Smile.

Hi Kimmmm! I read your thread long time ago (and still do). I wish I can meet you and your hubby when we visit Northern Cali again. I might one of these days, my sisters and Dad live in Alameda County (and I used to also). Maybe I'll visit there when there's a big VW show. Smile

notchboy wrote:
Bob Baker?

Yes. Were you there too notchboy?
1969 Buggy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: