Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 Mango Westfalia SO-23
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

otis_bartleh wrote:
Looks amazing, you've really done a great job! Don't get mad at her, she almost made it... Smile Sounds like she did pretty well overall, and in style too... Nice!

Haha, yeah, I was sweet talkin her saying, "we're almost home, baby, you've done a great job, I'm proud of you..." I'd say she definitely exceeded my expectations, though. I apologized for asking a bit too much, LOL.

When the tow driver called for directions, he asked if my bus had logos on it. I was kind of surprised, but then he asked if it said something about "fish" on the side. I realized he had seen the TacoLu Fish Tacos bus. Sure enough, he said he'd just seen that bus and several others in the median along the freeway. Around an hour later, after we were loaded up and ready to head home, a carabus of the TacoLu, Neue bus and several others drove by waving, LOL.
IG:j.stenner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjjjack wrote:
Haha, yeah, I was sweet talkin her saying, "we're almost home, baby, you've done a great job, I'm proud of you..." I'd say she definitely exceeded my expectations, though. I apologized for asking a bit too much, LOL.

lol, glad I'm not the only one who talks to his bus!

jjjjack wrote:
When the tow driver called for directions, he asked if my bus had logos on it. I was kind of surprised, but then he asked if it said something about "fish" on the side. I realized he had seen the TacoLu Fish Tacos bus. Sure enough, he said he'd just seen that bus and several others in the median along the freeway. Around an hour later, after we were loaded up and ready to head home, a carabus of the TacoLu, Neue bus and several others drove by waving, LOL.

haha, nice!
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

otis_bartleh wrote:
Looks amazing, you've really done a great job! Don't get mad at her, she almost made it... Smile Sounds like she did pretty well overall, and in style too... Nice!

No kidding I had a trip from Bulli/bugjam where a drum stripped out with 3 more hours of driving to do... Changed it out at a gas station I happened to coast into didn't get home till late. Almost is huge for a maiden voyage. lol
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, your bus was amazing, thanks for bringing it out.glad you made it home...well almost...you and I must have purchased our fuel at the same spot. I had to pull over twice on my way home and pull the jets and clean them out. I did make it home last night around 9:30. 1400 butt numbing miles....glad thats over.
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuggbug wrote:
Jack, your bus was amazing, thanks for bringing it out.glad you made it home...well almost...you and I must have purchased our fuel at the same spot. I had to pull over twice on my way home and pull the jets and clean them out. I did make it home last night around 9:30. 1400 butt numbing miles....glad thats over.

Thanks Paul! Was it that Flying J on State Rd 52 on the way to Pasco County Fairgrounds? I swear, the bus was running smooth at speed until I got gas at that station. After the filter change and 1 carb removal, I decided I should just tow.

I can't begin to imagine 1400 miles....LOL.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QUESTION: I have a single VW key that matches all the locks. At some point in the past, the ignition switch was changed, and it has its own key. The door locks are all Z coded. My understanding is that E,Z,D,V,F are all the same profile. Can an ignition switch with any of these codes be rekeyed to work with my door locks? Or, do I have to find a specifically Z coded ignition switch? I think any E,Z,D,V,F switch will do, but want to confirm.

TIA

BTW, soaked the carb, installed SVDA and gave her a tuneup and she runs better than ever...continuing with blending/bodywork this weekend...
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paging gabe....paging gabe...

He is the master of locks and keys.
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the answer is yes. Will be good to have a single key Smile
pacrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the blending is very good! Nice job on keeping this Mango true!

Signature material right there! I think most of us have had these conversations with our old busses! I do even when she's running fine!

"we're almost home, baby, you've done a great job, I'm proud of you..." I'd say she definitely exceeded my expectations, though. I apologized for asking a bit too much, LOL.
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, thanks!
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westy people...what is the secret to removing the rear headliner without damage? I have several dents that I want to work from the inside. I've removed the cabinets, the cross bow and screws for the rear headliner, but I'm scared to death I'll crack my PERFECT headliner. The edges that appear to tuck in behind the channel seem like they are in tight....

Can it be done?
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjjjack wrote:
Westy people...what is the secret to removing the rear headliner without damage? I have several dents that I want to work from the inside. I've removed the cabinets, the cross bow and screws for the rear headliner, but I'm scared to death I'll crack my PERFECT headliner. The edges that appear to tuck in behind the channel seem like they are in tight....

Can it be done?

Yes, you can do it. It's not that bad. You have to pull it down in the middle and then make the panel into an "M" shape before slipping one end out. You'll need a few friends on hand to help. Be careful, go slow. Don't bend it more than you need to. We've had the rear headliner panel in and out of our '56 a few times now and I bet it's a lot more fragile than yours. I've taken the headliner out of my '55 which is in nice shape and that was even easier.
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Yes, you can do it. It's not that bad. You have to pull it down in the middle and then make the panel into an "M" shape before slipping one end out. You'll need a few friends on hand to help. Be careful, go slow. Don't bend it more than you need to. We've had the rear headliner panel in and out of our '56 a few times now and I bet it's a lot more fragile than yours. I've taken the headliner out of my '55 which is in nice shape and that was even easier.

EXCELLENT, exactly what I needed to know. It looks like it's happy to sag into the M shape. I'll gather some hands to help, though. Thanks soooo much!
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew...out with no damage. Not so difficult once you've done it Smile

Side benefit of removing the cabinets was finding the original cargo net hooks on top!
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjjjack wrote:
Whew...out with no damage. Not so difficult once you've done it Smile

Side benefit of removing the cabinets was finding the original cargo net hooks on top!

awesome!
scvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a good day for you.
SOUTHERN INTEGRITY AIRCOOLERS

WTB - Sigla popout glass like in my ad.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1667775
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working out dents, feathering edges, fixing rust in the drip rails (buried under dried out seam sealer).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen such a tool, can you explain the process? Is that glue on the roof?
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called a Dent Dial:
http://www.dentdial.com/

It's pretty flexible in terms of the things it can do and where you might use it, but it's essentially a way to get leverage behind dents and push or pull them out without damaging original paint. In the image above I'm using a nylon/delrin tab that is glued to the surface of the bus and pulling on it with the Dent Dial. You tug and strategically locate tabs to work the dent out without damaging the paint. Of course the paint has to be well-bonded. It is possible to leave the tab on too long and damage the paint. For pulling, the typical process is to use an electric glue gun to attach an appropriately sized/shaped tab (they come in multiple styles), let it cool for a few seconds, then pull on it until it pops loose. The glue will either stay attached to the paint or to the tab (or both). Then you spray the glue with alcohol which causes it to release and peel right off the surface. It is really great when you can't get behind a panel because of a brace blocking access, etc.

HTH!
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic work! Looks great!
1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 22

Jump to: