Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.4 EcoTec rail buggy kit to Vanagon?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less talk more action

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Gunldesnapper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting..........keep us informed!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boss!

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo. 140/140 is a nice powerplant.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw7266 wrote:
Less talk more action

Yea mine would be done already but I took a long road trip instead, it was just too hot in FL so I had to go lol.

I have all the parts to do the swap once I head back to FL this winter, so mine is still a go. I will say I met a guy in Austin that is a member here but never publicly posted his swap. He installed a 2.2 ecotec in his westy and he's getting 28mpg. It was a very quality install as well.

It was just random luck I ran into another guy that had already done it. Nice to find someone else that had it done and also nice to see another working on it. Is yours a 2wd by chance? I think being mine is a Syncro, I think it will fit under the deck lid.

I think it's one of the best engine choices out there in regards to inlines. Way better engine than the Fords they use in the Bostigs.

Mine in a 2.5 from a Saturn Sky so it's a bit more HP and torque vs the 2.2, so should be interesting. It is almost 200/200 torque/hp

This is how mine sat before I wrapped it up to head west.. it's the VVT and has drive by wire so no more throttle cable. Also has a complete billet bottom end so it can be supercharged or turboed if I really wanted to.

vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill post more pics when i get it home was cheaper/easier to pay my local shop to build the mounts for me since they manufacture the mounts and flywheels in house. Its in a 2wd a syncro would clear i think i was originally doin this for my syncro but sold it and had this 86 without a motor
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw7266 wrote:
ill post more pics when i get it home was cheaper/easier to pay my local shop to build the mounts for me since they manufacture the mounts and flywheels in house. Its in a 2wd a syncro would clear i think i was originally doin this for my syncro but sold it and had this 86 without a motor

Yea I was gung ho working on mine but when I ordered the adapter plate it took, it 4 weeks to show up. While waiting I ended up finding a Westy that needed a motor..

Long story short the Syncro's 2.1 ended up in the Westy and one thing led to another a month later I was leaving for a long road trip with my ecotec conversion on the back burner till this winter.

As far as motor mounts. My 2.4 came out of a RWD car, so I'm using the stock Sky mounts with welded on adaptors on the stock VW mustache bar.

Out of curiosity what did you do on your wiring harness? I hand traced 90% of the harness with a few pin layout diagrams I found. My next step was to figure out what I had to keep..

I may however just bite the bullet and buy a harness from one of the stand alone guys being I have to have the computer reprogrammed anyway. They just cost a lot more than I'd like to spend.. Laughing
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same shop doin my mounts redoes the harndess I think its costing me like 250 for the harness
mekanism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the reason for the ECU reprogram for this swap? Is it like the Zetec where the chipped key needs removal?
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to give you an idea of how much it sticks up

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw7266 wrote:
Just to give you an idea of how much it sticks up

Is this with the Ecotec's crankshaft in the same position height wise in the chassis as the WBX?

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As shown above the engine will need to come up higher....as Christopher made reference too.
mekanism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's damn close! Looks like you might be able to get away with fabbing up a curved piece of sheet metal to cover it so you dont have to raise the whole lid. Nice work!

So is it possible to run the stock ecu on this setup? I'm curious to see if this is a viable swap for us Cali dwellers.
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously looked into the Ecotec engines for a swap, but dropped the idea because I'm in CA and the evap system uses a vacuum system to detect leaks. The reason this is important is the system monitors the pressure in the fuel tank and the evap control system to look for leaks. The vacuum systems are calibrated to the size of the fuel tank and monitor the fuel level to calculate the expected pressure and a code is thrown if the pressure doesn't meet the expected range. You put this system on a vehicle with a different fuel tank and it throws a code for evap leak. You throw a code and you don't get through the referee. The reason the 1.8T can be legally installed is that most European manufactures use a pressure test. A small airpump builds up pressure in the system and the computer looks for a decrease in pressure over time. This is insensitive to fuel tank size and shape, so you can put it in the van and it won't throw codes if the system is tight. So my understanding is for CA you need an engine from a European, Chrysler, or some of the Asian manufactures (Mazda?). Ford, GM, and most Asian brands use the vacuum system.
mekanism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^
Oh that sucks! Thanks for the info. I was really hoping to figure out a way to get an I4 besides the 1.8T into a cali van legally. California is basically forcing us to use other loopholes.

I'm still researching whether or not all of the vehicles that come with an Ecotec use the passkey system, and how to bypass it. This would be a very inexpensive swap if you can just use the oem ecu, wiring, and if using an engine from a RWD vehicle weld the mounts to a vw mustache bar.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mekanism wrote:
^^^
Oh that sucks! Thanks for the info. I was really hoping to figure out a way to get an I4 besides the 1.8T into a cali van legally. California is basically forcing us to use other loopholes.

I'm still researching whether or not all of the vehicles that come with an Ecotec use the passkey system, and how to bypass it. This would be a very inexpensive swap if you can just use the oem ecu, wiring, and if using an engine from a RWD vehicle weld the mounts to a vw mustache bar.

The engine is the same, regardless if it was from a front wheel drive or rear. The block has the engine mount holes for either. The only difference is which mounts were used and the exhaust manifold.

As for the ECU, it's the anti-theft key deal that has to be removed. You can mod a stock harness, but it's sort of a figure it out yourself due to this engine coming from so many different cars with different harnesses.

You can however buy ready to go ECU/ stand alone harnesses in the $800-$900 range.

This is the engine height of the guy I met that had already installed a 2.2 in his Westy. He claimed to get 28mpg out of his.

Last edited by DAV!D on Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
mekanism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAV!D wrote:
mekanism wrote:
^^^

The engine is the same, regardless if it was from a front wheel drive or rear. The block has the engine mount holes for either. The only difference is which mounts were used and the exhaust manifold.

As for the ECU, it's the anti-theft key deal that has to be removed. You can mod a stock harness, but it's sort of a figure it out yourself due to this engine coming from so many different cars with different harnesses.

You can however buy ready to go ECU/ stand alone harnesses in the $800-$900 range.

Yeah I realize the blocks are the same for all vehicles but since your engine is from a RWD it makes fabbing the mounts and exhaust a bit easier right?

Also, forgive me for all of the bench racing, just really curious about this swap.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mekanism wrote:
DAV!D wrote:
mekanism wrote:
^^^

Yeah I realize the blocks are the same for all vehicles but since your engine is from a RWD it makes fabbing the mounts and exhaust a bit easier right?

Also, forgive me for all of the bench racing, just really curious about this swap.

Not really tbh as the mounts are not identical on either side, so you still have to custom build them. One thing that is nice though is the drive by wire throttle. It means no broken throttle cables or tricky set ups.
mekanism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAV!D wrote:
mekanism wrote:
^^^

This is the engine height of the guy I met that had already installed a 2.2 in his Westy. He claimed to get 28mpg out of his.

Oh man, that is really tall! No way to get it lower? I guess the Ecotec has a much thicker head than the Zetec?
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id lke to see how he has his coolant routed to his over flow tank...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: