Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Owner - 1973 Karmann Ghia Convertible
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HardwayVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: New Owner - 1973 Karmann Ghia Convertible Reply with quote

On Friday December 27th 2013 my wife and I became the proud owners of a 1973 VW Karmann Ghia convertible. This is our first vintage car together and the first air cooled car for either one of us. I have owned vintage/classic American and Japanese sports cars such as 240 and 280 Z’s, Corvettes, ’69 Camaro’s, along with a long list of 80’s and 90’s Z28’s and Trans Am’s so turning wrenches on old cars is nothing new to me. I had been casually looking at beetles and KG’s for a while when this one popped up on the local Craigslist. We looked at the car the weekend prior to buying it and my wife fell in love with it. She has always liked small vintage cars such as KG’s, Fiat 500’s, etc. so this one was right up her alley. Upon driving it I noticed some issues, none of which were deal breakers but given the sellers high asking price we initially passed on it. After talking about it some more over the next few days and based on the responses I received from members on the forums we decided to make an offer. The seller was getting married in a few days and after a little negotiating we settled on a price we were all happy with. The car was located literally around the corner from our house and we knew if we wanted a car like this then this car was the one to get.

A little about the car. It is an original Colorado car and left the factory with an orange body, black interior, and black top. One of the previous owners to the seller we bought it from had it taken completely apart, stripped to bare metal, and painted black as you see it now. This was done in 1998 according to the receipts and pictures. Given that this was all done over 15 years ago the paint and trim has held up very well. In reviewing the receipts the original motor was either rebuilt or a rebuilt motor was purchased. It has a 1600cc DP engine and original 4spd transmission. As of ’98 it had new shocks, newer top, new pans welded in, underside has been covered in rubberized coating, new carpets, new weather stripping, door panels, and a ton of other stuff. After reviewing all of this I feel we got a lot of car for the money.

Seeing how nice the car is it is not without its issues as previously mentioned. Everything needs to be checked as the car has not been driven much and feels a little down on power. A timing check and adjustment, possible valve adjustment, new valve cover gaskets, carb inspection and cleaning, shifter bushings or adjustment, and a few other odds and ends are needed. The biggest issue the car has right now is you pretty much lose all steering and control above 40mph. The seller told us about this and I am glad she did as it would have definitely surprised a perspective buyer. I need to pop the front wheels off and inspect everything. More than likely it is due for some new bushings, ball joints, shocks, or all of the above. For now the plan is to get it insured, get the title transferred, and start sorting out what it needs. My wife is looking forward to the beautiful days that Austin receives throughout the winter and spring so we can take it lunch, dinner, a picnic by the lake, or a local car show. Below are some pictures I took of it so I can get insurance on it. Please excuse the dust. A good clean and polish job is on the to-do list as it is needed to really bring back the black paint. I look forward to sharing my progress with the forum members and learning as much as I can about the wonderful world of air cooled VW’s.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Kmolenda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking car, congrats and welcome! I was a street rod guy, but have always loved air cooled VW simplicity, I have had a few years ago, busses and bugs.. All the issues are pretty easy to solve. The front end stuff is also cheap and easy with a bit of elbow grease. Replace it all.. Or at least anything that is or even feels loose. The engin stuff is real simple too, buy a book, I like the how to fix your vw.. Pretty easy stuff. Have fun, I know my wife had never seen a Ghia before I bought ours and totally digs it.
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: welcome Reply with quote

Welcome to thesamba; I predict you will find lots of good information and a few laughs, too.

Nice car; I like your exhaust. I had a muffler like that on my '73 Beetle in 81 or 82--think it was by ansa?

Good luck with the car and have a great 2014.

byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner - 1973 Karmann Ghia Convertible Reply with quote

HardwayVW wrote:
The biggest issue the car has right now is you pretty much lose all steering and control above 40mph. The seller told us about this and I am glad she did as it would have definitely surprised a perspective buyer. I need to pop the front wheels off and inspect everything. More than likely it is due for some new bushings, ball joints, shocks, or all of the above.

What a great introduction. Nice Ghia!
I would immediately suspect the steering damper as the culprit to your lack of control at speed. Here's a picture.
It can be found under the gas tank. Sometimes the mount is broken and/or the damper is missing all together. Make this repair 1st and your Ghia will become instantly more fun to drive Smile

Found a better pic

Another quick check is wheel bearing play. Grab the wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock. Rock the wheel checking for play in the bearings. You might have too much play ultimately affecting the handling.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, that's a pretty one! I've got a black '74 coupe, definitely the best color for a KG Wink

Likely culprits for your loose front end are steering damper, tie rod ends, ball joints, or wheel bearings. Believe it or not, there's no bushings on type 1 front ends. Although if the previous owners never greased the axle tubes (there's 4 grease zerks, 1 on each end of the front axle tubes), your needle bearings that the trailing arms ride on could be worn beyond spec.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HardwayVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the compliments and information guys. I definitely have a path to follow this weekend when I start digging in to it. As I make progress with it I will post my updates on this thread as I move along. I hope everyone's first day of the new year has been great!
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If needed you should be able to buy a complete nice front end with disc for $150, worst case scenario. I have seen the front beams pretty rotted so you should not be in too bad a shape there with that pretty lil car. Welcome
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark33563
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When looking over your steering system, do not overlook the steering column to steering box connections. If the tightening bolt is missing or not tight you column can actually spin while the steering box does not.

Nice looking car.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
varagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a 73 'vert as well. It drives great but it needs some work like yours as starting in 1st she seems to bog down.

My interior needs replaced and I have a couple spots of rust to keep an eye on.

All in all, I am learning quite a bit. This is my me and my wife's first classic together and it was her dream car. Now she owns one.
BAD ASP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I also have a 74 ghia convert. We live in the northwest suburbs of chicago so we arent driving it now..... 12" of snow with 4+ more on the way. We are looking for a good engine mechanic in our area. Car runs good but doesn't hold and idle well, just want someone to tweek it for us.....
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAD ASP wrote:
My wife and I also have a 74 ghia convert. We live in the northwest suburbs of chicago so we arent driving it now..... 12" of snow with 4+ more on the way. We are looking for a good engine mechanic in our area. Car runs good but doesn't hold and idle well, just want someone to tweek it for us.....

If any of you are looking for good VW mechanics you'll always get good recommendations from your local aircooled VW clubs...a Google search will find them but you'll also find listings in The Samba Archives here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/clubs/index.php

Pick their brains...they'll be only too pleased to help.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by John Moxon on Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Late model ghias may not be as aesthetically pleasing as earlier ghias, but they make the best daily drivers, IMO.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAD ASP wrote:

BAD ASP, PM sent.

Welcome and congrats to all the new Karmann Ghia owners!
... and don't forget to add yourselves to the Karmann Ghia Owners Map.
Mark33563
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sactojesse wrote:
Congrats! Late model ghias may not be as aesthetically pleasing as earlier ghias, but they make the best daily drivers, IMO.

yank the bumpers, fill the holes, they look just as good....to me, anyway...

Any Karmann Ghia is better than no Karmann Ghia!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark33563 wrote:
sactojesse wrote:

yank the bumpers, fill the holes, they look just as good....to me, anyway...

Any Karmann Ghia is better than no Karmann Ghia!

The big Fat Chick bumpers are not all that great for some people, I filled all the body areas where the bumpers wrapped around and put Nurf bars on my 74 but then again not much is stock on that little Hot Rod. Back to your Ghia, that thing looks awesome just like its is. Add your touches like a shift knob or a different steering wheel and you will enjoy the heck out of this car, they are so much fun to drive. Welcome to the Forum and Ghia Land. Very Happy
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid
89 Harley 883 Sportster (1200)

Owned before: 58, 69 Ghia Coupes, 64 Canvas Sunroof, 68, 72, 73, & 74 Bugs, 63 Single Cab, 65 Bus, 66 & 70 Camper
" Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it'll muffle the sound".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really looks like a nice cruiser.We just recently bought a 73 vert also,as my wifes summer ride.slowly fixing up the interior, dash, and some engine stuff.Want to keep it as original looking as possible...best of luck.Ghias are way cool !!
chibuilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the happy and proud owner of a 73 vert. I just wish I could get my wife to love it! But, you will enjoy the heck out of it. I've posted lots of pics of mine over the years but having added front and rear sway bars last summer, I can definitely say that is the best move i've done in terms of the car's handling. Enjoy and welcome!
2012 Nissan Leaf
100 yrs of automotive technology in one garage
HardwayVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the compliments and suggestions. I am not the biggest fan of the bumpers either but they are the originals and in good shape for their age so they are staying. My goal is to keep it as stock as possible. The car has so much character as it is I really can’t find a reason to mess with a good thing. When the tires need replacing I may go with a different VW wheel and some white wall tires. I think up against the black and chrome they would look great!

Yesterday was a beautiful day in the Austin area so I set about figuring out a few things on the KG. Several days ago I had noticed the headlights were pointing in far out directions. Upon trying to adjust them I discovered the plastic T pieces that the adjustment screws thread in to had broken apart. When trying to work on them I ran in to several stripped heads and very rusty screws so those are being replaced. Turning my attention to the vague steering issue I pulled the front wheels off and immediately noticed a few things. The first being the leaky steering damper. Everything else seemed nice and tight but two disappointing discoveries were made. First, the passenger side upper ball joint is missing its boot. From what I can tell it never had one as there are no traces of the boot. All of the other ball joints and tie rods seemed to be in good order so a new upper ball joint is on its way.

Another item that is even more disappointing is the passenger side spring box mount is missing its bushing/cushion. After a little more inspection I saw that they had put the foam under the bolt instead of in between the mounting points. The driver side is correct so whoever was putting the passenger side together had a serious lapse in critical thinking during assembly. My question is, now that I have discovered this, how do I fix it? I don’t see how it is possible to get the bolt out without lifting the body off. Am I missing something here or is lifting the body off just the reality of the situation?

Finally I investigated why the shifter was so sloppy and just as everyone else has discovered my shifter bushing is shot and the shift coupler bushings have gone soft allowing the bushings to slide side to side in the coupler. A new bushing, spring clip, and coupler with urethane bushings is on its way.

I got all my parts ordered along with the necessary parts to do a full tune up, valve adjustment, and oil change. If it had not rained today I would have taken care of a lot of this but it will have to wait until next weekend. On a positive note, the car has become quite the celebrity amongst my neighbors, receiving tons of compliments from everyone!
scottkrough
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new member of the family. She's a real looker..

Check out our 63' Ghia Build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=519643
Kmolenda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see the concerns are all pretty easy fixes, the steering should tighten right up with the damper and ball joint being fixed. The bump stop may be a challenge, but with some creative tool modification you should be able to get it out. If you jack the body, and let the rear axle drop, you may be able to put the foam or rubber bump stop in. If you can't get at that bolt, maybe figure a way to attach it from the underside of the mount.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: