Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

California OHV conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
dustymojave wrote:
Also...Vehicle inspections for DMV registration (like VIN numbers, etc.) is referred to the CHP. You have to make an appointment with them after your 1st visit to the DMV. DMV will tell you to take it to CHP for inspection.

And Tako is right. PNO stands for "Planned Non-Operation". Which translates to "Temporarily out of service - Not going to drive it on Public roads or even tow it on a trailer OVER those Public roads." That includes OHV use. IF your single cab was registered by DMV as PNO, the registration slip they either gave you there at the time, or that they will mail you in a few weeks, will indicate the registration renewal $$ to get current registration. Just get it insured and pay the DMV renewal fee BEFORE you actually take it on the road. THEN it will be back on regular registration. Safety inspection as for Salvage Title vehicles is not normally required after PNO.

You can move it on trailer as wheels/tires are not touching the road surface..... IF its on a trailer its just "cargo"...

You just cannot flat tow it.....

Dale

You're right Dale. It was that way for many years. Then for some time, my PNO paperwork said "not operated, parked or towed on or over the streets or highways". Looking at the new PNO papers for my '61 Falcon, it says "not operated, parked or towed on the streets or highways". There must have been a legal challenge to the "on or over" wording.

Several years ago, while the wording was "on or over", I got cited by the County Zoning Dep't for having a "junk vehicle" in my back yard. I had a big argument with them because while it was illegal for it to be on my property, it was also illegal to move it away from my property under the vehicle code "on or over" wording. The car was without papers, wrecking yards had refused to accept it without papers and DMV had refused to make up new papers unless it could pass smog and safety tests and be fully registered and insured. I told the Zoning Dep't supervisor to call me when he had resolved the conflict with the state, and until then to leave me the he&* alone. I haven't heard from them since. The car finally went away when I met a a guy who worked for a wrecking yard during a desert cleanup put on by the County Supervisor's office. When I explained my dilemma, he said that yeah, it was technically illegal, but so was hauling the cars the County had asked him to come pick up out of the desert and nobody ever pulled him over for hauling junk cars, it would just go straight into the crusher for scrap, so he didn't care about papers. He said I had just talked to the wrong wrecking yards before. He came by later in the day between desert pickups and gave me $$ for it.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CA DMV in a nutshell right there.

I'm going to try to get moving passes just to cover my ass, but if I don't get them I'm going to flat tow it to the chp.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was kinda fun to have legal grounds to tell off a Bureaucrat. But the incident demonstrates how governments work, quite often heavy on "of the people", and slim on "for the people" and "by the people" as our Constitution states.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I went to the dmv, they just said "here are some moving passes bring it back here to get inspected"

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.....

Guess that office has vehicle inspectors.

But what will they be inspecting for an OHV?

VIN that my experience says they won't use and will instead apply a NEW VIN?
SoCalBajas Member
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will refuse a new vin. I was told they would be verifying the vin and just inspecting to see if it meets the minimum to be on the road and which then I can apply a new vehicle type.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I went to the DMV this morning and it actually wasn't too bad except:

I was able to register it with a dual registration. I now pay for both fees due of having an on and off highway vehicle. Since it was technically an expired tag the only way it could be registered for street use was through dual registration. I got a new Green Sticker and now have to go do a Brake and Lamp inspection and get a weight certificate.

So does this mean I can go to ohv parks without any fees? (yea right)

The lady told me that "no, if you want to go to an OHV park you can not use a regular street vehicle. It would have to be dual reg or OHV."

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is full of bull....... Street legal 4x4 and such all use OHV parks.... The only thing about parks is vehicle needs some sort of registration.... Its a California money thing....

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/

Another thing IS I never heard of dual registration.... Where is information in DMV manual? .. Because street registration is legal everywhere...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to call her out on it, but I didn't want to be at the DMV any longer than I had to be.

So in reality there is no reason for me to have dual registration, other than giving money for state parks. Having the green sticker doesn't really give me any more privileges than any street car.

The stupid dmv site wrote:
It is not necessary to register a vehicle for both on–highway and off–highway use. Valid on–highway registration allows the vehicle to be operated on and off the highway. Vehicles registered for on–highway use only may be subject to a "use fee" if operated in OHV parks.

http://dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/vr_info#BM2518

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.... IF you have valid street legal registration and plates, just let green sticker go when it comes up for renewal.... Keep street legal registration....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I wonder if I can have a PNO OHV title for my ohv side, and just be current on my payments for on highway. hmmm

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: