Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for a new tool box
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="joe56vw"]
Eaallred wrote:

I think you missed the part where we said craftsman today sucks

Got me, because mine looks exactly like the ones at Sears right now. Think

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tncsparky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric
When I was at Sears, those boxes had a huge amount of side to side play in the drawers. They also felt really thin. They didn't feel "right" until you stepped up in the price range of 400-500 per box.

They looked really good just too flimsy at my price point

scotth17
I think you are just waiting around for a high-five from a unicorn so you can feel better about yourself
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Eaallred"]
joe56vw wrote:
Eaallred wrote:

I think you missed the part where we said craftsman today sucks

Got me, because mine looks exactly like the ones at Sears right now. Think

you can say the same thing about the cheap Chinese parts empi sells cause they look the same on the website as quality made parts do Wink

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
johnR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hazetguy mentioned this box earlier...

I bought one of the Harbor Freight 44" roller cabinets last summer (there seem to be two item numbers 68784 or 69387). I am surprised at the quality. Much better than I expected from HF. Well worth the $360 it's typically on sale for.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched craigs list for months to get a good idea what good/fair prices were. And youre right you gotta act fast on the good ones. I ended up buying a old (1970's) Snap-on. Top and a roller bottom for $250. It was filthy and greasy. I put 4-5 hours in cleaning and oiling the slides and now I am pretty happy with it.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's an ad for the quality and strength of the tool box.

drscope wrote:

Link

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly on this subject... Im in the market for a tool cart to consolidate an "oil change and tire rotation" service cart.
Basically a cart that can house fluid bottles, lug nuts, washer fluid, air gun etc... for flat rate quick service...
Frankly... I would much rather have a name brand (USA) cart and would normally pay a little more for it......but the price of American Steel is .. ridiculous....
Just wondering....has any one here purchased the Harbor Freight cart. Im looking for Blue and would settle for black.. such as 95659/61634/61952?
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my buddy has a few HF karts they are nice and work well but the wheels are cheap and only last a year or two

he has a few hard years on most on them and I think he has had to replace the wheel on most

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:
my buddy has a few HF karts they are nice and work well but the wheels are cheap and only last a year or two

he has a few hard years on most on them and I think he has had to replace the wheel on most

Yeah.... Thats a concern of mine... Id wear the casters in short order...between speed and constant use..
With the el cheapo price on the HF carts... I could buy some good casters.. I was concerned over the overall durability as well. Im not easy on my tools.
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine

i've had the red one the longest, bought new off the Mac truck in 82

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
joe56vw wrote:

Yeah.... Thats a concern of mine... Id wear the casters in short order...between speed and constant use..
With the el cheapo price on the HF carts... I could buy some good casters.. I was concerned over the overall durability as well. Im not easy on my tools.

neither are me or any of my friends my buddy who has the karts runs a restoration shop out of his house (mostly paint and body) and the rest of the karts have held up pretty good

I wouldn't think twice about getting one but would go in with the mindset of replacing the caster within 6 month to a year

Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxx wrote:
mine

i've had the red one the longest, bought new off the Mac truck in 82

I'm surprised that once you stuck that Z28 sticker on it that parts didn't start falling off immediately j/k
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Slightly on this subject... Im in the market for a tool cart to consolidate an "oil change and tire rotation" service cart.
Basically a cart that can house fluid bottles, lug nuts, washer fluid, air gun etc... for flat rate quick service...
Frankly... I would much rather have a name brand (USA) cart and would normally pay a little more for it......but the price of American Steel is .. ridiculous....
Just wondering....has any one here purchased the Harbor Freight cart. Im looking for Blue and would settle for black.. such as 95659/61634/61952?

I bought a bluepoint cart from the snap on man for @180.00 nearly 11 years ago. The top bin has a flap that locks over it and it comes with a locking drawer. I used it for the same reasons- lof/rotate high use items and my welder fit in the bottom nicely. The thing still works great.

I started out with a bluepoint 11 drawer 24"x30"x6' box that has ball bearing slides and drawer latches. Believe I paid 2k for that 20 years ago.

I needed more room and was about to go all in for one of those 10,000.00 wall hog units but found a twin to my blue point, only painted black and marketed as a Harley Davidson tool box. That Craig's list Harley box was 600.00 and a steal at that. The quality is well above anything out of china, the steel noticably thicker. The warranty is great too. A dummy managed to knock my box over with four drawers opened (hard to explain but ruined drawers, slides etc) snap on sent new parts over no questions asked!

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the issue with snap-on is that in some state/areas the snap-on dealers will not honor warranties unless you have a account with them or can show proof of it's original purchase

about 5 years ago I try to get a replacement on a snap-on wrench that I had gotten from a friend
called 3 different snap-on guys none of them would deal with me on it even after I offered to meet them at a friends shop who has a account with them

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:
the issue with snap-on is that in some state/areas the snap-on dealers will not honor warranties unless you have a account with them or can show proof of it's original purchase

about 5 years ago I try to get a replacement on a snap-on wrench that I had gotten from a friend
called 3 different snap-on guys none of them would deal with me on it even after I offered to meet them at a friends shop who has a account with them

Just drop it off and leave it with the friend with the account.. They dont care when it was purchased.... just that someone owes them money..

Im so glad to have invested in my large pro box (Matco) and main tools years ago.. I have just about every name and cheap brand tool in it.. but we lost our Cornwell and Matco Distributors... makes getting replacements/repairs a long process...
Usually and often edited
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
joe56vw wrote:

Just drop it off and leave it with the friend with the account.. They dont care when it was purchased.... just that someone owes them money..

Im so glad to have invested in my large pro box (Matco) and main tools years ago.. I have just about every name and cheap brand tool in it.. but we lost our Cornwell and Matco Distributors... makes getting replacements/repairs a long process...

I ended up giving most of my snap-on tools to a friend cause I was tired of them breaking all the time and having to go thru all the hassle of getting replacements

I am hard on tools and most of the snap-on and matco tools I have owned have broken a lot easier then my less expensive tool sets
I have had a set of husky sockets and wrenches for over ten years now and have only broken one ratchet which home depot has a no questions asked replacement policy for
I don't think any of the snap-on, matco, craftsmen, or any other "high quality" tools I have had lasted more then a year or two

I don't know about you but for me since all these tools break just as easy as any of them I would rather buy the less expensive ones that are 10X easier to get warranty replacements for Wink

campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
joe56vw wrote:

I ended up giving most of my snap-on tools to a friend cause I was tired of them breaking all the time and having to go thru all the hassle of getting replacements

I am hard on tools and most of the snap-on and matco tools I have owned have broken a lot easier then my less expensive tool sets
I have had a set of husky sockets and wrenches for over ten years now and have only broken one ratchet which home depot has a no questions asked replacement policy for
I don't think any of the snap-on, matco, craftsmen, or any other "high quality" tools I have had lasted more then a year or two

I don't know about you but for me since all these tools break just as easy as any of them I would rather buy the less expensive ones that are 10X easier to get warranty replacements for :wink:

If you call Snap-on they will send you replacements of the tools you break by mail. It could not be easier. They do not charge for shipping - and I have never been asked to return the broken tools. They also sent me a half dozen drawer slides for free when I was a dumbass and tipped my tool box over. The box was 30 years old and I bought it used - and they still warrantied the slides from abuse. Yes, the price hurts but like Berg said - cry once.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:

I don't know about you but for me since all these tools break just as easy as any of them I would rather buy the less expensive ones that are 10X easier to get warranty replacements for Wink

I have them all.....when you work as a pro...you learn what specific tools are the best and by who they are produced...

Most of my base tools like sockets, ratchets and wrenches are from a Sears/Craftsman set I was given when I was six..
Sure they wear, and are easy replaced.
Most of my name brand tools are those "specialty" tools Craftsman, Husky, Kobalt, Stanley, dont offer...
All tools wear and break... if you use them..
Some are easy to replace, some are not.. and you have to go to some effort.
Here lately....I've been eating my Snap On Torx bits (drivers) for lunch...
must be the new steel... Laughing
Dist. had to order... so had to bring in my "back ups" from home..

Recently.. Ive been a little sentimental.. about some of my tools. and have "retired" them home.
I broke an adjustable wrench that was passed down to me from a few generations of "knuckle busters". I had been using it myself for over 20 years for pretty much alignments only..... It cant be replaced... company is no longer.... So I picked up a cheap Kobalt replacement.....I've been through 4 in the last year..... Confused
Usually and often edited
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add an update to my tool cart search.

The Harbor Freight cart was a real freakin' joke.. I could have sneezed a dent in it.. I literally almost bent the top edge.

I went with a Northern Tool Torin TC350 Item 38150..

The TC350 is a damn good bang for the buck..even though its not built USA. Its like so many things.... only American assembled (by me.. Wink )

Tall, deep, sturdy, roller slides, locking top, heavy casters with grease fittings, hammered black powder coat..
I added large Rat Fink Decals and some GM emblems.. to make it more....ME.

I found a $50 off online order coupon.. free ship to store and I picked it up.

They had one in stock already assembled.. so I got to see it first. It looked like a 3 year old put it together.. but had promise... and they wouldnt match the online price.. So sorry..
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332047_200332047
Usually and often edited
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: