Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage speed type 3 exhaust
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeeJeeJason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
Erik G wrote:
JeeJeeJason wrote:
They put them up already eh? Prices for these exhaust systems keep climbing.

extra pipe, extra welding, a little extra monies. Lots cheaper than a real Abarth

Yeah...prices aren't "climbing". The single tip VS exhaust is still the same price. This new "Abarth" style exhaust is an iSP exclusive and is freaking awesome! It took all of my will power not to take it home with me last night... Sad

...by climbing I meant every time that I see a new exhaust posted online it's more expensive than the last....So yea, it climbed.
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeeJeeJason wrote:
squaretobehip wrote:
Erik G wrote:
JeeJeeJason wrote:

extra pipe, extra welding, a little extra monies. Lots cheaper than a real Abarth

Yeah...prices aren't "climbing". The single tip VS exhaust is still the same price. This new "Abarth" style exhaust is an iSP exclusive and is freaking awesome! It took all of my will power not to take it home with me last night... Sad

...by climbing I meant every time that I see a new exhaust posted online it's more expensive than the last....So yea, it climbed.

Well yeah...it's a different exhaust...with different/more elaborate tooling...which would justify a higher price...so yeah...and they're being shipped halfway around the world...so yeah...

If you're looking for a $150 exhaust, you can pick up an over the top. They fit and sound like shit which is why iSP is no longer carrying them. But hey, they're $150ish...so they've got that going for them...

These exhausts are very well made and are well worth the money. This coming from the guy who bought that other Abarth repop for double the money. Yeah...I'm THAT guy.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
Erik G wrote:
JeeJeeJason wrote:

only live once homie. will they let you post a mock up? I wanna see how it looks through the rear apron, and from the back lol. Even just held up on a box or something

and hear it of course Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This coming from the guy who bought that other Abarth repop for double the money. Yeah...I'm THAT guy.

forgot about that
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

only live once homie. will they let you post a mock up? I wanna see how it looks through the rear apron, and from the back lol. Even just held up on a box or something

and hear it of course Twisted Evil

Oh I'm gonna snag one even if it just stays in the box. There's a possibility these could be a limited run.

I just have to figure out what I wanna sell... Twisted Evil Crying or Very sad Twisted Evil

Follow ISP West on:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeeJeeJason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
JeeJeeJason wrote:
squaretobehip wrote:
Erik G wrote:
JeeJeeJason wrote:

Well yeah...it's a different exhaust...with different/more elaborate tooling...which would justify a higher price...so yeah...and they're being shipped halfway around the world...so yeah...

If you're looking for a $150 exhaust, you can pick up an over the top. They fit and sound like shit which is why iSP is no longer carrying them. But hey, they're $150ish...so they've got that going for them...

These exhausts are very well made and are well worth the money. This coming from the guy who bought that other Abarth repop for double the money. Yeah...I'm THAT guy.

Kick back brotha. No one was saying your exhaust wasn't worth the money, it's just 100 bucks more than the other Vintage Speed I was eyeing for the past month. It is certainly tempting.
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeeJeeJason wrote:

Kick back brotha. No one was saying your exhaust wasn't worth the money, it's just 100 bucks more than the other Vintage Speed I was eyeing for the past month. It is certainly tempting.

No need to kick back. Es all good in the hood. I am not, and I don't try to be the face of iSP...I am an employee and a customer. The latter of which is the most important here on thesamba. As a customer, I will get one of these or the single tip just to have. Nice NOS units are getting up there in price. Throw in the $ to get it coated so it lasts and you're pretty much at the price of one of these.

Follow ISP West on:

Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably go for the single tip. I just like how the single tip visually nestles neatly between the apron cut-out and the bumper over-rider above. It's just a minor thing though.
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1702040

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cool Cool Cool
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
DA4167
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Vintage Speed exhaust installation Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice. I've just got a vintage speed stainless exhaust system for my standard type 3 1971 square back. As I wanted to improve the flow of the engine but I can't see how you install the system whilst maintaining the upper heat ex-changers. The fittings seem to connect straight to the cylinder heads so what happens to the upper heat ex-changers as i don't want to radically alter the car because it's pretty original.

Cheers
vwtaiwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

68vwfasty wrote:
I am very happy with my VS. Here are a couple of pictures showing the engine out and in the car. It tucks in really nice. The fit is great. I ran hoses directly from the fan to my heat exchangers but you can use the upper heater boxes. I used the ones from Spruce.
I also have a remote filter and running the lines was really simple and they don't really get too close to the exhaust. I might add some insulation wrap on the hoses for extra protection.

That is Beautiful set up. Nice and clean.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously a lot cheaper than a A1 but if they would have enough flow as a A1 in a bigger motor such as a 2180cc. Has anyone mounted one to a 2 liter yet?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to a Muffler Shop & have them build exactly what you want is what I did. I like them better with left & right tailpipes.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic, I'm going to say of course that your heads and specifically the exhaust valve size is going to be the determining factor. He does list both the sport (up to 125hp) and super flow (up to 150hp) but does not list exhaust tubing size

http://shop.vintagespeed.com.tw/s.nl/it.A/id.586/.f

I will say, one of my friends ditched his A1 for a VS on his bug with a big motor. He is much happier with the fit, finish, looks, and performance. Says he wish he never bought the A1. Hope that helps. I'd ask him, I met him when he flew out to the classic from Taiwann a few years back, super nice guy. He was helpful when I asked him about doing a 356/912 exhaust too
vic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Vic, I'm going to say of course that your heads and specifically the exhaust valve size is going to be the determining factor. He does list both the sport (up to 125hp) and super flow (up to 150hp) but does not list exhaust tubing size

http://shop.vintagespeed.com.tw/s.nl/it.A/id.586/.f

I will say, one of my friends ditched his A1 for a VS on his bug with a big motor. He is much happier with the fit, finish, looks, and performance. Says he wish he never bought the A1. Hope that helps. I'd ask him, I met him when he flew out to the classic from Taiwann a few years back, super nice guy. He was helpful when I asked him about doing a 356/912 exhaust too

that's what I was thinking also Erik. The super flow should be hood for my 2180 with 40x35.5 heads.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed exhaust installation Reply with quote

DA4167 wrote:
Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice. I've just got a vintage speed stainless exhaust system for my standard type 3 1971 square back. As I wanted to improve the flow of the engine but I can't see how you install the system whilst maintaining the upper heat ex-changers. The fittings seem to connect straight to the cylinder heads so what happens to the upper heat ex-changers as i don't want to radically alter the car because it's pretty original.

Cheers

Did you ever find the answer to this? Someone in the thread said one could use the upper heat exchangers with the Vintage Speed exhaust but I can't see how. Anyone done it or figured it out?
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be late in the game but I did find this . Looks like they are adapters for the rear heat exchangers . Never mine these are if you want to add flanges to the front heat exchangers instead of the pipe and clamp they come with. More solid but not cheap either.

The only thing I do not care for on these systems is how close they are to the fan intake bellows . They need a heat shield of sorts . Also they say up to 73 . I wonder how these clear the later type three engine hanger.
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:
I wonder how these clear the later type three engine hanger.

It's not even close. Here's an ad (slightly different exhaust) with installed photos:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1702040

Follow ISP West on:

blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it much better than the Empi one I have now . I need other things well before I get close to changing the exhaust system .

I wish this was around years ago when I had the funds to spare.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed exhaust installation Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
DA4167 wrote:
Hi,

Cheers

Did you ever find the answer to this? Someone in the thread said one could use the upper heat exchangers with the Vintage Speed exhaust but I can't see how. Anyone done it or figured it out?

I had a chat with the Vintage Speed guy (forgot his name Embarassed ) at OCTO and we discussed a flange adapter for the small heat exchangers as there isn't one now. I explained that he'd sell a lot more of these mufflers if there was a way to retain the small heat exchanger with the VS muffler.

I'll mock up an adapter once I order/receive a VS muffler in the very near future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: