Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW on Street Outlaws
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abadvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: vw turbo Reply with quote

if you wanna go fast get a 2232 buit type 1 turbo motor from dave kawell 500 hp or more plus runs pump gas street able he has the fastest car blakie font engine quare back runs 5secs 1/8 mile 125. 8.62 165 1/4 back in 1989 no body broke his record. he build me a 2920cc that i run on the street 267 hp at 6500 plus 100hp shot nitrous 367hp my car is on his web site nicks car
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many if them could pick up .2 seconds if they'd lose about 150 lbs...not azn tho...
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
Many if them could pick up .2 seconds if they'd lose about 150 lbs...not azn tho...

Yes several of them.

That is where I'm at now. Last year I built a new engine for the Ghia to run the 13.50 heads up index class at the local track. Best I could get is 13.60's so I'm on a mission to loose 40 Lbs so the car runs the index.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck - success will pay off in several ways!
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you boys do realize NO2 when used in high doseages create header collector flames?
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: vw turbo Reply with quote

Abadvw wrote:
if you wanna go fast get a 2232 buit type 1 turbo motor from dave kawell 500 hp or more plus runs pump gas street able he has the fastest car blakie font engine quare back runs 5secs 1/8 mile 125. 8.62 165 1/4 back in 1989 no body broke his record. he build me a 2920cc that i run on the street 267 hp at 6500 plus 100hp shot nitrous 367hp my car is on his web site nicks car

That shit gave me a headache to read. Good God.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farmtruck is a FULL frame truck. The frt section somewhere about the firewall(give or take) forward has been changed/modified. I was under it at the PRI show
Indecision
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
The funniest thing about this show to me if features some of the same things that its biggest fans bagged on in The Fast and the Furious film of 2001 (flames out the exhaust, extended racing footage that lasted seemingly forever, etc). The same crowd that's all excited about this show was ripping on a fictional movie, and to me they're two separate worlds. In movies, fictional liberties are to be expected.

I know I'm bringing this thread up from the dead... but I had to call you out on this. There are no "fictional liberties" about the flames from the headers in Street Outlaws. Flames do actually come out of the headers when they are 2 feet long... especially on big HP, big cube nitrous motors (not so much on the turbo cars when they aren't on the 2-step.) In the Fast and Furious they are running full exhausts and flames would never come out of the exhaust unless you intentionally make it happen (extremely rich mixture and adding a spark plug to the exhaust would be one way.)

As for how they cut the racing. While a lot of people bitched about it in the FNF movies, it is what it is. They weren't going to spend the money to actually build 10 second cars and the races aren't as exciting when they only have 10 seconds to show it anyway...

It's twice as bad on Street Outlaws because they run 1/8th mile so if they are legitimately ~8 second cars in the 1/4, they would be like ~5 in the 1/8. Watching 5 second races to the general public that the show is aimed towards is boring.

I don't give a shit who you are though, those cars are nasty fast.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indecision wrote:
It's twice as bad on Street Outlaws because they run 1/8th mile so if they are legitimately ~8 second cars in the 1/4, they would be like ~5 in the 1/8. Watching 5 second races to the general public that the show is aimed towards is boring.

An 8 second 1/4 mile car might get you #6 or #7 on their list. I saw one of them run 4.40's 1/8 mile at the track on DOT 275 drag radials.

Indecision
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Indecision wrote:

An 8 second 1/4 mile car might get you #6 or #7 on their list. I saw one of them run 4.40's 1/8 mile at the track on DOT 275 drag radials.

Nice... but that just further proves the point I was trying to make, lol.

I'll never understand 1/8th mile racing anyway...
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indecision wrote:

You can gear a car a lot lower and run a lot faster in the 1/8 mile. Drag race statistics show 55% more people blow up their engines racing full 1/4 mile. It is very difficult to find a long enough street to street race a full 1/4 mile along with extra 1/2 mile to slow the car down.

Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, 1/8th mile is all about not having real estate to allow 1/4 mile tracks.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really weighing in on the many facets of drag racing, but I'll add an observation about these shows;

I can't remember which one I was watching but the race sequences seemed rather long with all the cuts. I grabbed my phone and timed the next few "passes". One was 21 secs, the other 19.5. I had to laugh because that's pretty close to what I managed in a more or less stock daily driver Beetle when I went to the local track during the VW meets. Of course with all the cuts the car probably travels the video equivalent of 3/4 of a mile. TV magic.

I can relate to what another poster said...if only the actual length of the race was shown, the shows would be 99.9% bench racing.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indecision wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:
The funniest thing about this show to me if features some of the same things that its biggest fans bagged on in The Fast and the Furious film of 2001 (flames out the exhaust, extended racing footage that lasted seemingly forever, etc). The same crowd that's all excited about this show was ripping on a fictional movie, and to me they're two separate worlds. In movies, fictional liberties are to be expected.

I know I'm bringing this thread up from the dead... but I had to call you out on this. There are no "fictional liberties" about the flames from the headers in Street Outlaws. Flames do actually come out of the headers when they are 2 feet long... especially on big HP, big cube nitrous motors (not so much on the turbo cars when they aren't on the 2-step.) In the Fast and Furious they are running full exhausts and flames would never come out of the exhaust unless you intentionally make it happen (extremely rich mixture and adding a spark plug to the exhaust would be one way.)

As for how they cut the racing. While a lot of people bitched about it in the FNF movies, it is what it is. They weren't going to spend the money to actually build 10 second cars and the races aren't as exciting when they only have 10 seconds to show it anyway...

Whatever I'm wrong about, that's fine, I really don't care. Fast cars or not, it's idiot television and pandering to the lowest common denominator as far as its audience. A movie like TF&TF is KNOWN to be fiction, but the Street Outlaw guys are marketing themselves as real, live loud and proud illegal street racers. Even if anyone with a brain knows it's phoney baloney, there's still a significant discernment between the two programs.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indecision wrote:

Well, that is about as long as you can keep your foot in it on the street.
rgdedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

1/8 mile is the best part of drag racing. Launch at 6800 RPM and carry the front wheels through 1st shift at 8000 and yank em back up in 2nd gear, hit 3rd and pop up a bit again and shift in to 4th just before the stripe. From then on it is just guiding it down the track in the 1/4.
Tim
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: VW on Street Outlaws Reply with quote

The car has since gone EFI. Interestingly enough, it's still drawthrough with what appears to be one of those atomic EFIs from MSD or edlebrock TB coupled with a haltech. Alot of interesting parts went into the build. Some names have had their hands in it who I've personally never heard of. Furo headers, bugtech (shifter) etc. QA1 provided the shocks. Trans is from Rancho (don't know the gearing) and the clutch is a Rev6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P93Bq3S_80I
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: VW on Street Outlaws Reply with quote

for streey we always raced 1/4. the local tracks are 1/8. but running the div 2circut it's all 1/4 and @ 212 mph you need to be on your game on short tracks. Wink
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
Street Outlaw guys are marketing themselves as real, live loud and proud illegal street racers. Even if anyone with a brain knows it's phoney baloney

I guess they faked the crow getting destroyed too huh? The words coming out of their mouthes may be staged and scripted, but the racing is 100% real.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: VW on Street Outlaws Reply with quote

Bringing back an oldy...but is the poor dung beetle just a big paperweight now? Never see that thing on the show anymore, a recent show he talked about it being what it is.....made me feel like he was done messing with it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: