Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight swap discussion
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rifai.Ad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Headlight swap discussion Reply with quote

What are your opinions on early headlights/fenders mounted on late Beetles? I'm writing down some plans for a build that brings the bug closer to its Porsche genes, and I found the sloped early headlights to be key characteristics on the 356 and air-cooled 911s. Still, I need to hear your opinions on how do you think this conversion looks, done right.
Here's some pictures of early fenders/headlights on late Beetles from TheSamba:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My opinion is that they'd look sweet on a 71 with some chrome eyelids Very Happy
This isn't a question on whether it's possible or not, just a little chit chat. Let's enjoy ourselves Surprised
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight swap discussion Reply with quote

Personally it would drive me nuts to see a swap like that. Kind of like when someone paints the ‘V’ front onto a Bay or Vanagon to make it look sort of like a split.
That being said, the casual observer wouldn’t even notice the difference. If you have any plans on selling, it might deter a lot of hobbyists. But it’s your car- I say go for it and make it what you want and enjoy it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight swap discussion Reply with quote

On a beetle hell yeah go for it dude. On a Ghia, don’t do it. I’ve seen a couple Ghias that have done it and it just doesn’t look right and you have to cut.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight swap discussion Reply with quote

Personally, I don't like it, or eyelids for that matter.

On the other hand, on a Bug its a bolt-on job, so it could be reversed later by a buyer or you if you change your mind.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight swap discussion Reply with quote

I have been thinking about doing this to my 67 the latest project I am doing for my self. I like the look of the pre-67 headlights and have never liked the 67 and later style. If I could find some decent 65-66 fenders I would go ahead with it, the driver side which is OG has a pretty good dent in it and the pass.side is an aftermarket that needs help.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight swap discussion Reply with quote

Get ready for the '67 nazi squad to come down on you!

But remind them the Euro '67s came with the '66-style fenders/headlights, so it's not such a crime after all.

Last edited by KTPhil on Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight swap discussion Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Get easy for the '67 nazi squad to come down on you!

But remind them the Euro '67s came with the '66-style fenders/headlights, so it's not such a crime after all.

...and remember the "67-only" front fenders carried over to '68-'70 1200L Standards with the smooth blades and no guards.

The biggest challenges to modifying a '68-'72 non-Super would be finding the Euro-only, Standard blunt hood front apron with the bumper bracket cutouts or modifying a deluxe apron and adding the mounts inside the spare tire well. I've seen it done--it either looks really good or it belongs in the "Abortions" sticky.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight swap discussion Reply with quote

Quote:
Kind of like when someone paints the ‘V’ front onto a Bay or Vanagon to make it look sort of like a split.

Why would you want to make a Bus look like a Van?
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight swap discussion Reply with quote

Not a fan of '67's for that exact reason. Certain clubs are absolutely zombified by them though.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
Rifai.Ad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight swap discussion Reply with quote

I've seen some that look brilliant and some that look like a**. Any idea what year the orange one is?
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight swap discussion Reply with quote

Rifai.Ad wrote:
I've seen some that look brilliant and some that look like a**. Any idea what year the orange one is?

I'm guessing '69 to around '71 from the gas filler door?
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: