Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Plugging bakelite tubes?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
R33ce97
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Plugging bakelite tubes? Reply with quote

I'm afraid that the heater is blowing some exhaust into the cabin, not sure but don't want to risk it. Would it harm anything to plug the bakelite tubes under the rear seat while leaving everything else hooked up? Iv'e searched it but haven't found exactly what I was looking for.
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be fine, just put some paint can lids over the opening and tighten some hose clamps on them so they don't fall off. If the heat is blowing exhaust into the car, you need new heater boxes.
R33ce97
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks, and yes the heater boxes have some small rust holes. I'll change them eventually.
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the hoses off the bakelite under the car and wrapped them with duct tape.
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinkin' rubber stoppers from Ace Hardware.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
texson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used 1 1/4" PVC caps to seal off the rear vent so all goes to front floor and defrost. It is a tight fit and seals well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: