Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

two oil coolers
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bryan2324
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: two oil coolers Reply with quote

Hi friends
I wish install to external oil cooler, but I want to keep the original early style oil cooler
I want have two coolers on my car....

so I think that if I install this oil pump, maybe I can have Two oil coolers

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And to this pump, I can connect this oil cooler?

this system with two oil coolers connected to this way, can it work?

true? or false?
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have two coolers. you can also have oil that is so cold it won't flow properly and that will destroy your engine. Pick one or the other. I have the one you posted pic of. Works great. German engineered fan that came stock on your engine works just as well if not better. Your call, but both is a HUGE mistake.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dfunkesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run 2 oil coolers in my dune buggy which is also street legal, oil runs at 180* no problem if you are concerned about oil not getting hot enough just put a bypass in line after your oil filter. I don't have the bypass but I am thinking of putting one in.
bryan2324
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: ree Reply with quote

You have the external and the original?

And how I install a Bypass in the external oil cooler if this installed in the oil pump ?

Any Picture?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get a thermostat bypass valve that installs in oil lines so that when oil is too cool it bypasses external cooler....

Believe one manufacturers name may be Derale...

The is a a thread about just this subject recently, either here in performance engine's section or kit car or off-road....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
pow_rider17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one of these to install with my external oil cooler:

http://www.amazon.com/Derale-25719-Fluid-Control-T...thermostat

But now I kinda wish I had gotten one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Derale-25772-Profile-Sandwic...ow+profile

Just because I think it would look cleaner and have less connections. I haven't been able to find the temp of the sandwich style though, even on Derale's website.......
bowtiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sandwich style ( IS NOT ) a temp bypass valve it only has a relief valve , that adapter goes between a existing filter and block to allow the addition of a oil cooler ..
pow_rider17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops, pobody's nerfect. I think this one would work but it may be the same thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Derale-15732-Thermostatic-Sandwich-Adapter/dp/B004XONTSO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_8
dfunkesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually this is the one I am looking at.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-15719/overview/

Put it inline just as the picture shows that Dale put up, it will bypass the external oil cooler until the oil temp goes up enough to let the oil flow to and through the cooler then put your cooler thermestate after the cooler that way the fan will come on if the oil coming out of the external cooler is hotter than 180*.

I am using this cooler in the dog house

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Scr...ange_high=

I also had to purchase a new dog house because this cooler fits a 1971 to 1979 beetle and then you need the dog house cooler stand also.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 coolers,no issues. just be sure there is not a restriction form small fittings.use -8 or larger or 3/8 or larger,be sure the inner passages are atleast 3/8" or larger. you can use a thermostat if you wish,I dont on mine Im in fl. but your location may be colder than fl Shocked . you can add a thermo switch to turn the fan on &off if needed, I dont even run the fan on mine, but yours isant mine.so only you can determan that.
sloboatnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
You get a thermostat bypass valve that installs in oil lines so that when oil is too cool it bypasses external cooler....

Believe one manufacturers name may be Derale...

The is a a thread about just this subject recently, either here in performance engine's section or kit car or off-road....

Dale

I was planning on using a bypass thermostat, but I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle. Let me explain. If I have a thermstat fan switch at the exit of the external oil cooler that turns the fan on when hot, why do I need a bypass. I understand the point of the bypass is to not have much colder oil hit a hot motor, but if the fan doesn't come on till 180, isn't the oil gonna stay hot. I wouldn't think an ol cooler would cool the oil that much without the fan. It will not be placed in direct air flow. Mine will be mounted abouve the fan shroud in a baja. It's a 48 plate with 2 small fans.

Is the oil really gonna cool that much without the fan going? Most driving will be offroad at somewhat slow speeds.

3BT Baja build page
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=417564&highlight=3bt+baja
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

an oil cooler does significant cooling even when the fan is off. The whole point of the oil thermostat is to prevent this oil cooling when the oil is not warmed up yet.

Otherwise you risk driving around never warmed up.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57 Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno about you guys, but when I was a kid I still remember my dad starting his Nova and warming it up before we even hit the road. I still do that to this day with my VW. Its a good habit too especially cause I dont take her out as much. Its good to start her up, get out, pop the lid and take a look and make sure nothing is leaking. Also drop down and take a good looko under her as well. Been running 2 coolers (dog house & external) since back in the 80s with no problem. I usually wait til my oil temp gauge shows signs of life before I throw her into gear.
Oil Phil-M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always heard that oil is best filtered hot. Sandwich plate adapters send the oil to a cooler first then back to be filtered. They are an easy install option if you have a built in oil filter (like T4 motors) but if you are mounting a remote oil filter its probably better to go with the separate bypass unit than a thermostated sandwich plate adapter.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

57 Rag wrote:
Dunno about you guys, but when I was a kid I still remember my dad starting his Nova and warming it up before we even hit the road. I still do that to this day with my VW. Its a good habit too especially cause I dont take her out as much.

Engineers say the best is to drive off, so engine gets to proper operating temperature quicker. More wear occurs when engine is cold, clearances are designed for engines at running temperatures.

Sorry, dad.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From another discussion about the same topic, Porsche engineers said one second before driving off with a cold engine.
57 Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
57 Rag wrote:
Dunno about you guys, but when I was a kid I still remember my dad starting his Nova and warming it up before we even hit the road. I still do that to this day with my VW. Its a good habit too especially cause I dont take her out as much.

Engineers say the best is to drive off, so engine gets to proper operating temperature quicker. More wear occurs when engine is cold, clearances are designed for engines at running temperatures.

Sorry, dad.

I may not be an engineer but I look at it another way. I agree with what they say but from a different perspective. Sure the car will get up to operating temperature quicker by driving off but that also with load on the engine while still cold. By sitting still running in neutral with NO load on the engine will limit "wear".
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowtiebug wrote:
the sandwich style ( IS NOT ) a temp bypass valve it only has a relief valve , that adapter goes between a existing filter and block to allow the addition of a oil cooler ..

I have a sandwhich style adaptor that does have a built in thermostat. They can be had.

Besure to cool the oil AFTER filtering, you want to filter hot oil, not cold oil.

An extra cooler is nice in hot weather, for heavy use, or hot rodded motors.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

57 Rag wrote:
Cusser wrote:
57 Rag wrote:

Sorry, dad.

I may not be an engineer but I look at it another way. I agree with what they say but from a different perspective. Sure the car will get up to operating temperature quicker by driving off but that also with load on the engine while still cold. By sitting still running in neutral with NO load on the engine will limit "wear".

Here's the deal, and its been a while since I have seen one, but even the manual said Drive off, no warm up period. the main difference being that from the factory they all had the proper thermostat and linkage installed, this helped bring the motor up to temperature faster. so with the thermostat installed they recommended to drive off and it was getting to proper temp, wouldn't you think that a car that is "overcooling" without the thermostat installed need to be driven also to try and get to the proper temp? the engineers at VW and Porsche were no slouches ... they knew their shit.
as for water pumpers... the last time I had my el camino's pan off as well as the heads I had no ill wear on my parts,no sludge. and that vehicle has NEVER gotten mercy from me on cold starts. started it up and went.... to me it just says the common wisdom... may not be wisdom at all.

by the way, like some others in much colder states , in the winter we get below 0 here... so its not like it never see cold either..

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil Phil-M wrote:
I've always heard that oil is best filtered hot. Sandwich plate adapters send the oil to a cooler first then back to be filtered. They are an easy install option if you have a built in oil filter (like T4 motors) but if you are mounting a remote oil filter its probably better to go with the separate bypass unit than a thermostated sandwich plate adapter.

Not all sandwhich adaptors cool the oil before filtering. Mine filter first, then send the oil to the cooler. Most I have seen work this way, filter first then cool.

Hot oil flows thru the filter better than cold, less resistance, making less pressure drop and thus less chance of the oil going thru the bypass unfiltered. (or even rupturing the filter media!!!)

That is why you filter hot oil rather than cold.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: