Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Ultimate Stewart Warner Gas Heater Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't matter as long as the pressures right. That rock auto one looks like a good deal though. I think it was $24 + ship .it's in tools section under fuel.

Here's some photos of the one I bought but the guy gave me a refund on because of wrong voltage. The 1st. photo shows the relay and pump hooked up to the battery. Nothing should happen and it doesn't.This one was missing its relay but I knew that when I bought it. The 2nd. one shows with the main power line hooked up to thermo. It's running there with no smoke. but cutting out when it shouldn't. I later found out it had 6 volt motors. with 12 volt coil. The dude that sold it to me was rightous about the whole thing

In the last photo shows I'm burning the rest of the fuel out of heater.

Also wanted to say I mounted my pump on the same bolt as the coil is mounted. If anyone decides to do it that way you might want to use a rubber washer because every time it pumps it makes a hammering noise without rubber washer for noise suppression.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on a cell phone or I would send a link.Most of the vw parts places should have them.If you go on EBay & search fuel line T that should get some. You cut your hose where you want and brass T pushes in the hose .Then you push your heater hose line in the third part of the T. I use the regular worm drive clamps to secure it but you'll see a lot of folks frown upon using those on a fuel line. Something about pinching the line. I'll send some photo links next time I'm on the computer.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/229960.jpg

Here's a couple more . Make sure you get the right size . probably 1/4 to 5/16

http://www.jegs.com/i/Dorman+Products/326/55109/10002/-1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221375013913?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321324947692?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by thomas. on Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:21 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm looking to pull my Gas Heater & have it rebuilt, it came w/ my '66 Singlecab, no clue if it worked back in '78 when the truck wa last on the road, before I got it.

So can a 6 volt be converted to 12 Volt, since my Truck is now 12 volt ??
Anyone here do rebuilds ??

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the 6volt heaters use a lot of amps.I think 11 amps. I only know this because I'm wondering too if it's possible to run a 6 volt heater if vehicle is 12 volt. I know on the eberspacher you can't but with the right 12 to 6 reducer maybe on this one.Maybe someone else might respond that has one or has done it. The 1st thing you would have to do, obviously is make sure your heater is working.You'd probably be better off looking for the correct heater for your bus.
These heaters are easy to work on.You could restore it yourself. The main part that goes bad is the fuel pump. Just by chance I've ordered and waiting for delivery a 12v to 6v reducer so I'll let you know in a few days. The only thing is I'm guessing it wouldn't work if you had an elec. fuel pump on there.
Schroby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: What is the part # for the relay, and where can I purchase one? Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:
On the first page of this thread I posted how I installed my relay on my heater thermostat to mount an elec fuel pump. You use to be able to delete photos in your gallery and I think i deleted that one and it got deleted from this thread.My screw up. I know umphorever was asking how to mount one so I had the photo on my computer so figured I'd repost it. here you go , it worked for me ...

thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Stewart Warner Gas Heater Thread Reply with quote

I just saw this or would of posted earlier.This is where I bought my 6 volt relays.

http://www.newark.com/te-connectivity-potter-brumf...dp/21M4888
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PineBeatle wrote:
Great Thread. I too am from Colorado and with winter coming up, I thought Id revive this thread.

I have a South Wind 10603 that's been sitting in the garage for about 18 months. They guy I bought it from said he just had it cleaned up so he could put it back in his bus (well, my bus now). It looks pretty clean and serviced from what I can tell.

I want to bench test it, but I'm not quite sure the best way to go about it. According to the manual, there should be a START\OFF\RUN switch as well as a temperature control knob and a light.

My heater does not have a switch on the heater container. It looks like it was hooked up to a switch that is in the drivers compartment, but it's just an ON/OFF switch (there are not 3 positions). Also, the manual states that there is in indicator light that you use when starting as well as troubleshooting. My heater does not have a light either.

Any thoughts? Should I get an indicator light and 3 position switch and attempt to wire as shown in the manual diagrams? What's the difference between the RUN an START positions of the switch?

Can anyone tell based on the pictures how the previous owner might have had the switch hooked up and how he may have started it? The only wires coming out of the heater unit are the ground and HOT. Was the switch directly on the HOT?

I'm attempting to contact the PO as well, but wanted thoughts of the community.

thx

thx

I have this exact same heater, and I'm in Colorado. I'm having a few issues with it and I'd love to pick your brain about it. I also have the front cover with the lights and directions.

Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Stewart Warner Gas Heater Thread Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to get my SW heater going and I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong.

For some reason I can't get the point to spark. During bench testing, I did get the points to spark and the spark plug to work. But when I hooked up the gas, I got not spark and no jump spark at the points. I have not been able to get a spark since.

This is a brand new unit. It was never used as far as I can tell. The coil was missing. I'm using a standard coil (not sure if this is the issue). I have three units I've tried. All coils checked good. The points gap seems a little small when I measure for the .018. However they did work that one time. I am unable to remove the solder and cannot adjust them.

During my testing the thermostat seems to have broken. The switch does not seem to have spring tension any longer. I just wired the two thermostat wires together. I do plan in installing and RV thermostat when I can justify installing the unit. I just want to get this thing working before I do it.

So both blower work and turn on no problem. I tested the over heat switch. That works. The points seem to being getting enough volts to spark. The fuel is pumping find with the stock pump. I just can't seem to find an issue with any of the components. And the the fact that I did get a spark a one point seems to be the most frustrating part. The wiring seems to be in order.

What am I missing? Could it be spinning too fast to cause a no spark since I remove the thermostat?

1982 AMC Eagle SX4 4.2L FI
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Stewart Warner Gas Heater Thread Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I found this. Good idea to replace the points with a modern upgrade.

Link

1982 AMC Eagle SX4 4.2L FI
Toyotafan78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Stewart Warner Gas Heater Thread Reply with quote

Is it typical to get a very minute amount of black in the exhaust smoke? (Like it's running just slightly rich...) all seems to operate well,no leaks,no popping,fires right up and puts out good heat, just stinks outside,puts out a tiny bit of black smoke...
mattlockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:
I know the 6volt heaters use a lot of amps.I think 11 amps. I only know this because I'm wondering too if it's possible to run a 6 volt heater if vehicle is 12 volt. I know on the eberspacher you can't but with the right 12 to 6 reducer maybe on this one.
These heaters are easy to work on.You could restore it yourself. The main part that goes bad is the fuel pump. Just by chance I've ordered and waiting for delivery a 12v to 6v reducer so I'll let you know in a few days. The only thing is I'm guessing it wouldn't work if you had an elec. fuel pump on there.

I’d like to try a reducer, I have a 6v heater. Would you have to have 2 reducers? One for the hot side and the relay?
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Stewart Warner Gas Heater Thread Reply with quote

I obviously had some free time and wanted to see for myself so I hooked it up with one reducer but I'm sure 2 could work too. I spliced 2 wires to the 6v positive outbound. One to battery terminal one to the switch terminal on the relay. Instead of trying to explain here's a photo of a Bus 6volt S.W gas heater relay hooked up to 12volt battery with the reducer. Also a link to where I bought the reducer. I can't remember but it probable took longer to get it since it is coming from Asia.
Anyway... 12 volts in 6 volts out.
EDIT... After looking how a bus is wired I would purchase two of the reducers and install a separate reducer for the switch install and a separate for the battery terminal. The other way might leave the heater on all the time unless you wired the switch right before the relay. Also note , these reducers are rated for 5 amps.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-Power-Module-Conver...1438.l2649
MR71TRANSAM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Stewart Warner Gas Heater Thread Reply with quote

This is one of the Best Informational posts I've ever read. Great info for the newbie.

Rick H
onwardtothestars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Stewart Warner Gas Heater Thread Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:

... After looking how a bus is wired I would purchase two of the reducers and install a separate reducer for the switch install and a separate for the battery terminal. The other way might leave the heater on all the time unless you wired the switch right before the relay. Also note , these reducers are rated for 5 amps....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-Power-Module-Conver...1438.l2649

Three years later I'm curious how the power converters worked out for you ?
iowa vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Stewart Warner Gas Heater Thread Reply with quote

I got a 6v stewart warner and I converted my bug to 12 volt. The heater points and fuel pump are shot so i was thinking just convert it to 12v.

Run both motors in series from 12v source so they are fine.
Already have a 12v pump for the engine that can also fuel the heater.
Replace 6v coil with 12v and put on electronic ignition.

But the piece I'm having difficulty is the 6v coil for the fuel shut-off. Has anyone converted the coil to 12v? Since the points and pump are bad that is the main reason I think I should convert to 12. Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
foamermetal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Stewart Warner Gas Heater Thread Reply with quote

Just installed a 12V Stewart Warner heater in my 67 bug. I had it working in the garage from a battery. It heats well. My question is from the dash mounted switch, should there be one terminal to ground and the other to 12V ignition power? I thought it had to have 12V constant hot from battery. Also where would I place a relay into the wiring? Should it even have a relay? I really would rather not have all those amps running through my ignition switch. Any diagram drawings would really help.
iowa vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Stewart Warner Gas Heater Thread Reply with quote

I finished my rebuild of a 6v and used a 20A converter from Aliexpress for really cheap. They are pretty reliable and work great for these heaters. As someone else stated its the fuel pumps that are a pain to find parts for, usually have to convert to an electric pump.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=747274&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
foamermetal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Stewart Warner Gas Heater Thread Reply with quote

Need some help diagnosing my Stewart Warner gas heater. I’ve had it in the car working flawlessly for almost three years. Turned it on this morning and for about a minute I didn’t hear it ignite and there was no heat blowing. Looked under the hood while it was running and the combustion chamber around where the plug goes was extremely hot as it was trying to start. I looked under the fender and there was flames around where the drain tube comes through. Shutting it down extinguished the flames. Any idea as to what would cause a fire at the drain. Every thing is securely clamped and not leaking.
foamermetal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Stewart Warner Gas Heater Thread Reply with quote

Any one with Stewart Warner gas heaters have any ideas why I would have a fire from the combustion chamber drain.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Stewart Warner Gas Heater Thread Reply with quote

Overfuelling, now you have to find out why: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/heater_ac.php

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: