Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another towing my Thing thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m in the process of transporting a Bay Bus from CO to CA and a Thing from CO to IA. If I have my way both will travel on a trailer with all four side protected by steel. The rear ended end of the bug is just one more reason not to flat tow a pricey/loved car. AS objects come toward the car nobody is around to protect the impact or divert the path.. It is just like dropping anvils from the sky and waiting to see what they hit.. I was traveling asn hasd my mountain bike on a rear mounted rack. While in a parking lot somebody backed into my bike. They bent both wheels, the frame in three places. They even smash my tool bag asn ruined my bike tools... One more sad impact of doom... I really like trailers. I have had locked trailer brakes, flats, locked bearings, no jack, no spare, no lug wrench even sheared towing balls (with safety chains in place properly....). These mishaps took time/energy asn some passerby kindness, but flat towing creates issues that no time period will solve....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
n0limdon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a tow bar from Mike Basso, and had a shop add safety chains, mag lights on the rear bumper, drove to Kubeltreffin in Bardstown Ky from Cresco, Ia. I drove pretty much the speed limit , sometimes faster sometimes slower depending on traffic. When I stopped for gas or a cafe or motel I was careful to park as to not be boxed in. Tow vehicle was a Isuzu Rodeo with discs all around with 1 7/8 ball. Always tried to maintain proper distance on the road. I never encountered any problems. Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor performance!! I was hoping to win the longest distance traveled but found out Sam was coming from California so that is why I flat towed vice driving.

Kubeltreffin
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how Ron and I went to the Kubel Treffen last year the safest way.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

citroen wrote:
This is how Ron and I went to the Kubel Treffen last year the safest way.
]

Cheaters!!! LOL!! Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Tow bar is fine Reply with quote

Hey all,

I just got back from Kubeltreffen in Branson MO.

Towbar'd apx 2100 miles round trip.

No problems! (Thank GOD! Pray )

All we made sure of is that I could do a full hard right or left turn with the F150 and not hit the THING. good mud flaps and some THING front end protection helped.

Took off the shifter (hurst aluminum) knob so it had no weight on the shifter in case a bump threw it in gear. Checked for nutral at EVERY stop.

just wish my truck had a bigger motor, we had to go to 2nd gear on some of the hills in MO and WVA.
T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
fragile_this_side_up
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flat towed a rusty-beam thing home from baltimore last weekend, as some of you have seen my thread. no issues at all. very very comfortable towing. even more so once i replace the rusted out beam. ran safety chains. always.. always.. run safety chains. also, put a bolt through the tongue of the bar so it wouldn't accidentally release.
RealThing74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the fully loaded Gravel Dump truck with a fully loaded trailer hits the trailer with the 2 Things in it the way it hit my Beetle you would have the enclosed trailer damaged and at least the Thing at the back also damaged and may be both damaged. The enclosed trailer will give them some protection but not from a major Hit.
73 Standard Beetle that we tow behind our Motorhome & use for sightseeing.
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jonny Rock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I flat towed my Thing about 500 miles for the Kuebel Treffen. On that trip I experienced the oscillation problem twice. Once taking off from a steep rural hill (high grade), and another time in the unlevel motel parking lot. I hypothesize that the problem is related to not enough weight being on the front axle, which causes the tail to wag. That is the tow rig is lifting the front end ever so slightly.

I believe that the oscillation solution is to ensure that your tow ball height is low enough so that the Thing's front end will never be lifted, even slightly, by the tow rig. One could also put more weight (bags etc) up front.

Finally, I wrapped my safety chains around the front beam, and crisscrossed them under the tow bar, and back to the tow vehicle's hitch. Are there any concerns about wrapping the chains around the front beam?
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chains should be connected to the car so axle is best. Not the tow bar.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Another towing my Thing thread Reply with quote

Will be moving my Thing from storage to my new home tomorrow. What are your recommendations for using a tow behind dolly with a 10’ Uhaul box truck. Keep in mind that my steering wheel doesn’t lock
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Another towing my Thing thread Reply with quote

I have 2 tow bar stories, When I purchased my Thing it had 50k miles on it, (1990) the guy gave me a bumper mounted tow bar,very stout bar but just 2 angle bracket mounted to bumper and just a 1/2 bolt thru to bar at each side, he said they towed it to Texas and FL 2-3 times a year behind motor home,(from MI) and that the Thing mileage was about 1/2 that, lucky me! He never had a problem, just backing up, also believed him due to wear and tear shown on the bar.
Regarding the beam mount tow bar, took mine to TN to pick up a bug, only problem I had was self inflicted, pulled into a steep drive way and kinked/twisted the bar damaging the spare tire bin metal, the tow bar came up too far bending it making it unusable, well its 4 pm on a Fri.night, GF is pissed, so call around and find 1 import store open that had a new tow bar, thankfully this happens in Knoxville a large town long ago (87'), made the next 600 mile event free other then brake shoes dragging and over heating the ft. wheel cyl. and blowing brake fluid out with a small smoke show, GF pissed again, another delay, gut all the brake parts on the side of the road! Thankfully I had all the tools with me anticipating problems.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: