Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Different Gazelles (Need Help)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you familiar with this site?

http://funnybug.canney.net/webbugs/kitcars/index.html

If you scroll down a bit there's a section with pics of about 20 Gazelles, each with some info on them.
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
Are you familiar with this site?

http://funnybug.canney.net/webbugs/kitcars/index.html

If you scroll down a bit there's a section with pics of about 20 Gazelles, each with some info on them.

I was not familiar with that site! Wow...lots of eye fiberglass eyecandy! Shocked

Thanks for the link!

My two pennies…your mileage may vary

I’m not a complete idiot, there are parts missing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The white Kelmark on that site is the one I bought.
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you certain that all of the gazelles you are comparing pictures of are all VW models. I helped friends of mine build what ended up being a very nice gazelle that was all Chevette mechanicals. Iirc the body was fairly different than the VW version of the kit.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
A6ULdv8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great link SBD. I had actually seen it briefly before, but somehow had closed the window on it and was unable to find it again. The site has pics of the nicest Vandetta I have ever seen on it. Thanks for posting it's link.

That's a good point HeidelbergJohn4.0. The bodies I have been comparing have all been the VW pan versions yes.
1970 Beetle 4 spd
[ Now I believe in Re-Incarnation ]
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went and visited and had dinner with our adopted mom and went to the garage to put on the trickle charger and take a few pics. I havent found any labels anywhere stating fiberfab or CMC.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Door horn detail

Interior door detail

Side view with top up

Dash detail

Rear view

Trunk detail

As I looked through my pics, I thought I had one of where I opened the lid to the engine. Such was not the case. However, two latches and it opens easily with the top up. Top down and its a little more difficult.

I looked at all the pics of the Gazelles on the link and most of them are VW Gazelles. I noticed some had slanted dashboards, while others were flat like this one.

If you need more pictures of specific areas, LMK and Ill get some.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
A6ULdv8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedBaronofRedBud wrote:
I havent found any labels anywhere stating fiberfab or CMC.

It would be rather hard to miss the CMC I.D. plate. It was usually installed under the truck lid. I can see some kind of tag or something on the underside of the deck lid in your last picture. (near the right latch buckle) Though it wouldn't be the plate, as they were riveted on. (usually)
Here is a picture of what you'd find.

Great pics though. I see someone has cut out an access panel to the battery in the trunk floor. I just finally did the same and used a piano hinge on the lower end so it flips open to access the battery. Prior to that, I had to remove the entire inner shell to get to the battery.
1970 Beetle 4 spd
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A6ULdv8 wrote:
RedBaronofRedBud wrote:

It would be rather hard to miss the CMC I.D. plate. It was usually installed under the truck lid. I can see some kind of tag or something on the underside of the deck lid in your last picture. (near the right latch buckle) Though it wouldn't be the plate, as they were riveted on. (usually)
Here is a picture of what you'd find.

Great pics though. I see someone has cut out an access panel to the battery in the trunk floor. I just finally did the same and used a piano hinge on the lower end so it flips open to access the battery. Prior to that, I had to remove the entire inner shell to get to the battery.

I never even looked under the hood to see if there was a tag there! Wow...is my face red! Embarassed Ill take a closer look at that when I go visit her next.

Thanks for the praise! The battery door does have hinges on it and one can access the battery, fuse block and the brake fluid reservoir. (You can also see the steering shaft is in the way, so to change the battery, you have to remove the inner shell)

A6ULdv8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedBaronofRedBud wrote:

Well, your following statement may explain why you haven't found any labels anywhere.

RedBaronofRedBud wrote:

I never even looked under the hood to see if there was a tag there! Wow...is my face red! Embarassed

Ha! (I couldn't resist)

There does appear to be some sort of tag on the underside of the deck lid as I mentioned. Perhaps something laminated under the glass? hard to tell from the picture.

As for the battery access panel, I cut mine a little larger, but it sounds like the placement of everything is identical to mine. My original fuse block is up under the dash though. I have been slowly completely rewiring which started when I went to Halogen headlamps and put in Relays to feed them via 10 AWG wire direct from the battery. I built this separate circuit for them, and mounted it in the trunk on the front wall behind the grill.
It has extra Relay circuits available for the second set of smaller driving lamps, the fog lights, and the new air horns I will be installing.

Since then I have built another under the dash to feed the starter by Relay which is controlled by a push button switch.

Just out of curiosity, does that Roadster take on fuel via the radiator cap like mine does?
1970 Beetle 4 spd
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuuup...fuels via the "radiator cap". Gets lots of funny looks when refueling!

A6ULdv8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedBaronofRedBud wrote:
Yuuup...fuels via the "radiator cap". Gets lots of funny looks when refueling!

Ha! Tell me about it. I had a guy at the pumps the other day take a double take and was starring at me with a strange look. I just shrugged my shoulders and said "It's running really hot" His eyes got really big, until I started laughing.
1970 Beetle 4 spd
A6ULdv8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedBaronofRedBud wrote:

Do you happen to have a head on picture of it? I have been finding variations of the grill, as well as the doors on a few different versions all going under the name "Gazelle"
1970 Beetle 4 spd
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A6ULdv8 wrote:
RedBaronofRedBud wrote:

Do you happen to have a head on picture of it? I have been finding variations of the grill, as well as the doors on a few different versions all going under the name "Gazelle"

Here ya go!

74Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the illustration in the CMC Gazelle Assembly Manual, that door is a CMC Gazelle kit for a Chevy Chevette.

2012 Silverado
53 FiberFab MG TD Replica (VW)

Life is hard and its harder if you're stupid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
A6ULdv8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RedBaronofRedBud
Yes, the grills are also different. As you can see below, mine (bottom) doesn't have that solid center post in the center crease.

It did have the "Gazelle" emblem when I got it though.

Which door were you referring to 74Ghia ? The door with the long vertical hinge line, or the door with the short one (hinges close together)?
1970 Beetle 4 spd
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a few Gazelles on EBay right now. There were the usual VW based ones but I also saw one with a Chevette drive train the other day and 3 that were Ford based. You might have to spell it wrong and also search completed listings to find all of them.
A6ULdv8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
There's a few Gazelles on EBay right now. There were the usual VW based ones but I also saw one with a Chevette drive train the other day and 3 that were Ford based. You might have to spell it wrong and also search completed listings to find all of them.

yes, SBD, I keep a pretty close eye on Ebay. Although there doesn't seem any difference between the VW based and the Ford or Chevy based Gazelle's looks wise. I have seen both style doors on all of them. I have also seen both style doors on VW based Gazelles both stating they were CMC Gazelles. From the info I have been slowly gathering, it is beginning to appear as if the short hinge line doors were of the original Tiffany Motor Cars "Gazelle" molds, and that CMC continued using the molds when Tiffany became CMC. Then at some point CMC updated the molds, and the long hinge line door was amongst changes in the update. This is all just speculation based on pictures, and the few articles (which are very vague) I have been able to come across. Some of which even contradict each other. Then there is also the FiberFab "Gazelle" to which it seems even less was written about.
1970 Beetle 4 spd
BugMan114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping an eye on this one Shocked . did anyone ever come up with a list? idk what kind of gazelle I have. I have no doors (you have to step over to get in), no backseat (has large rear hood with a large storage area recessed into the rear hood, over the motor), the gas tank sits behind the front seats, with a filler neck on the passenger side of the car, my grille doesn't have the center post, it has a crude Mercedes symbol hood ornament, but it was crudely made and looks cheap (but it is original). I don't have any pics of the tunnel at the moment, but the mods to it were done pretty harshly. They cut a large hole in the side of the tunnel to do the shifter rod and pedal assembly relocation mods. The fact that much of the car was done crudely and that it doesn't seem to have a lot of the options makes me think that this was either an early model, or maybe just a base model Laughing . anyhoo, here are some pics:

there's no chrome on the mesh part, it was always painted:

1960 Baja Bug
1969 Baja Bug
Sand Rail- Homemade
Sand Rail- FUBAR

Aircooled Airheads

Why the hell do they call it a gland nut. its obviously a big fat bolt!!!
A6ULdv8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BugMan114 wrote:
did anyone ever come up with a list? idk what kind of gazelle I have. it doesn't seem to have a lot of the options makes me think that this was either an early model, or maybe just a base model

Well, the list is becoming insane, but is still in the works. In looking at your pictures I can tell you a little about your kit though. You have a "Gazelle" manufactured by: Tiffany Motor Cars in Opa Locka Florida. (see pics below) It wasn't their earliest model though. It was apparently cast after their mold re-tooling. Yours has the higher hinge line on the hood to accommodate the addition of exhaust flex tubes, the earlier version hinge line was much lower on the body. Also the "dish" moulded into the back deck lid was added during the re-tooling as well. The TMC "Gazelle" was also distributed globally by a company called Intercontinental Products Inc. which did it's own advertisement campaigns in other countries under it's own name.
I hope this helps a little.

1970 Beetle 4 spd
BugMan114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Very Happy very cool learning the history on these kits!
1960 Baja Bug
1969 Baja Bug
Sand Rail- Homemade
Sand Rail- FUBAR

Aircooled Airheads

Why the hell do they call it a gland nut. its obviously a big fat bolt!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: