Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My '55 MG-TF Replica
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavBowSR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: My '55 MG-TF Replica Reply with quote

Hello everyone! Just wanted to post a photo of my '55 MG-TF replica, and to say that even though I didn't discover Samba until my car was almost finished the forum has been really great for me, learning about VW AC engines, etc., and a wonderful aid to finishing my little car. Thanks so much for all the help you have all given me and other members!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Marlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet ride!!!
DavBowSR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Guy! I built this car for fun and to use, which I do daily, weather permitting.
I found it in Veracruz, Mexico on the back lot of a local mechanics shop, covered with a tarp, where it had been sitting for many years. He had installed the body on the frame, which had new floorboards, and had done enough wiring to actually get it running, but that's as far as he had gotten. I knew I had to have it since I had dreamed of such a project for years. After three days of negotiating we agreed on a price, and the car was mine. I had paint (original was ugly yellow), upholstery, and some minor mechanical work done locally then towed it home (500 Miles) behind my trusty old van. It was easy to bring into the U.S., just a couple of forms and verification of VIN, etc., and it was home! That was four years ago, and since then I have been busy finishing it up as best I could. The old '72 engine in the car was pretty well shot, and I was fortunate enough to discover that the VW factory in Puebla, Mexico still manufactures 1600 DP engines, even though the factory quit building cars in 2004, and in 2012 I acquired a brand new long block from them at a very reasonable price. Had it installed by a mechanic friend here, and the rest is history. It will cruise at 75 mph easily. I do enjoy driving it, especially with lots of modifications such as disc brakes in front, wire wheels, alternator, new carburetor, new electronic distributor, lots of actual MG-TF parts, etc. I have done almost all the work myself, deferring the more complicated work to others. I enjoy entering it in local car shows and have three trophies so far!

Maybe if anyone needs any advice on such kit cars I can help them, it would be a pleasure to repay some of the invaluable advice I picked up from this site in the past1
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done! Would love to see a few more pictures around it and with the top down. Thanks for sharing!

My two pennies…your mileage may vary

I’m not a complete idiot, there are parts missing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty, that is one of if not the nicest MG conversions that I have seen. Lots of little details that you took the time to do. And yeah - dont be stingy with the pics. You should be very proud of the car. Love the color and the wheels.

BUT - I would suggest doing a little work on the engine tin - particularly where you live. There are deflectors the go at the rear of the engine that attach to the upper cylinder tins. Do you have the lower tins that run under the cylinders installed? You need to if you dont. Last thing and this is REAL important. You need to fab a tin to seal of the lower portion of the engine from the top. You can modify a stock bug rear tin. See what I did for the current project and you can use a similar solution. All I did was use a piece of sheet metal that I had 3 sides bent so I had a 1/2" lip that would rest against a seal. I simply cut out out to fit around the fan and welded it to the stock rear tin. A little paint and it does the trick.

Hot VWs did a test with running a car without that tin and the oil temps went through the roof.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...

Last edited by andk5591 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have process photos, those are always interesting.

Sure is nice looking...a real head turner!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mekeys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: tf mg kit car Reply with quote

Best looking MG replica I have ever seen. I want one.!!!!!

Mel Keys
DavBowSR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great comments, guys! I do appreciate the recognition after all the busted knuckles, sweat and tears that went into my buggy! regarding the engine tins, you are right, I have none of the lowers. I do plan to install them in the near future after having learned about the necessity from all of you, and I like the advice about making the main divider (top of engine from bottom) from sheet metal. However, I have operated the car on the hot days here in South Texas, including highway driving, and never had the oil temperature go over 210f. My sensor is installed in the rear relief valve. Had it in the oil pan originally but it kept getting damaged by road debris...Another factor is though it is not easily seen, there is a large, about one foot diameter, round hole in the engine cover under the spare tire and I know that a lot of hot air exits there when driving. And, I know someone will mention it, but the fuel filter has already been moved to the front of the engine hahaha. The photos I posted here are not new and there have been modifications and improvements since they were taken. I will try to get new and detailed photos posted in the next few days.

I regret to say that it never occurred to me to take photos as I was building the car until most of the heavy work was done. I learned about the value of that from Samba and guys at the car shows later. This whole thing has been a new experience for me, and the first VW I ever owned!

Once again, thanks for all the invaluable advice!
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple things - The issue that you have is that you are recirculating the hot air back through the fan. And without the lower and rear tins, you are getting hot spots on the cylinders.

And as far as pics go - this is after the fact, but I keep a digital camera in my shop to document everything - Can't tell you the number of times I had to go back to them later in the build or a couple years later to verify how I did something. Or in this case, be able to give someone else pointers on how to deal with a problem. After years of using the wifes and kids hand me down cameras that I held to together with duct tape and velcro, I sprang for a new Canon at Best Buy for about $70. Small, point and shoot and has good resolution so you can zoom way in to see exactly where the bolt was.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not usually a fan of the MiGi type kit cars, but yours has changed my perspective a little. It's a very nicely done vehicle. The turn signals on the front are really nice, too. Can you PM me and tell me where you got them? My Gazelle has very similar ones, and one of them is baldy pitted. I'd like to replace them both
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TKentT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp car!

That's a bit of a rare bird in the US. I'm not aware of TF kits being sold in the US, though they were available elsewhere....

You may want to check out the TD replica club at http://tdreplica.com/

Great bunch of guys. At least one of the guys previously owned a real TF....
74Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRS1023 parts for the Gazelle and MGTD can be purchased at MG Magic. I think the link is www.mgmagic.com but if it doesn't work just Google it and it'll come up. reasonably priced parts for both.

2012 Silverado
53 FiberFab MG TD Replica (VW)

Life is hard and its harder if you're stupid.
DavBowSR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again everyone for the compliments!

dfrs1023, tried to respond to your request but had problems, hope I didn't gum up the entire forum! Anyway, the turn signals shown in the photo were actually Harley Davidson type, because I was not able to locate any original MG types within reasonable cost...Since then, however, I have replaced them with a couple of new ones, never used, that someone had gotten with a MG-TD kit (they are the same as for the TF), found them on eBay, very reasonable. They aren't exactly like original MG turn signals but very close to those and I am happy with them. I would send you the ones I took off but they have gotten a little scratched up, and you probably want better...

TKentT, you are right about the MG-TF not having been made in U.S., as far as I know. This body was made elsewhere, a mystery to me where and by whom, and I found it in Mexico. I have seen a couple more in Mexico but not sure that is where they originated. I would love to know who made them and where, but haven't been successful in that regard as yet.

74Ghia, Thanks, I have been familiar with MG Magic and have bought a couple of things from them. Good prices and service, some things not available elsewhere. Bought a lot of MG pieces from Moss Motors also, as well as finding some on eBay.

I do have a problem regarding my grill. It is pot metal, and the originals were stamped steel but no longer available anywhere. The inner slats are passable as they are, I may try to replace them later. I would love to have my pot metal grill refinished, but have found that replating pot metal it is very expensive. It sat out in the elements so long before I found the car that the finish is bubbly and rough...Have thought about grinding it down smooth and painting with the new chrome type silver oxide paint. I would like to know if anyone has had experience with pot metal being refinished this way, and if they have any pointers.

Last edited by DavBowSR on Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got your PM - thanax
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavBowSR wrote:
TKentT, you are right about the MG-TF not having been made in U.S., as far as I know. This body was made elsewhere, a mystery to me where and by whom, and I found it in Mexico. I have seen a couple more in Mexico but not sure that is where they originated. I would love to know who made them and where, but haven't been successful in that regard as yet.

I have a 1982 Hot Rod Magazine Kit Car book. In the Buyer's Guide it shows a 1955 TF 1500 replica that was offered by a company called Victor Antique Auto (Division of Southern Coachworks, Inc.), 2900 Monroe Ave, Rochester NY. (716) 586-1686 or 924-7930. This kit was made to use MGB components and the manufacturer's info said it was the only MG-TF 1500 kit offered anywhere. (And we ALL know that kit car companies NEVER lie! Not talking )
TKentT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victors are now made in New Zealand, I think, and use a Mazda Miata running gear....

http://www.sportscars.co.nz/

This is the first TF on a VW running gear that I've seen or heard of...

As far as the grille, my TD replica was originally built "on the cheap" without the optional chrome grille shell, wood dash, repro turn signals (uses VW instead), etc.

I bought a used original TD grille shell on eBay that was in too sad of shape for someone's high-$$ restoration. It is chrome-plated brass instead of pot metal...
DavBowSR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the New Zealand Victor is the only MG-TF kit that is now made, as far as I can find out, but they are all front engine cars, pricey too. They don't want to sell a grill shell separately, either Sad There is another model made in the UK but it really doesn't even look like an MG-TF in my opinion, different grill shape, etc.

My car and the other two I have seen, all from Mexico and VW models, don't have a maker's mark anywhere. The owners of the other two cars had no idea where their cars had originated from, they had changed hands several times. The owner I bought from also did not know. Makes me wonder if the company was Mexican or they came from somewhere else. The only ones I have seen in the U.S. are front engine models also (MiGi, Fiderfab), except for the TD models, as far as I know.

Thanks for your interest guys!

Last edited by DavBowSR on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
DavBowSR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKentT, I think I have seen the photos of your car (?) and if it is the one I'm thinking of it looks great to me! You are right, I said the original grill shells were stamped steel but they were stamped brass, chrome plated. I saw one once brand new in the box on eBay and got all excited. It went on auction for $2800 !! (that's more than I originally paid for my car! Shocked ) Sadly no one makes them anymore...
A6ULdv8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful Automobile DavBowSR!
Is that a bronze/reds "Pearl Essence" finish over white base coat?
It's wonderful that you saved it from rotting away under a tarp. It's a shame how many replicars end up setting out behind garages and barns deteriorating until they pass the point of saving. It's sad that the grill on yours ended up as it did before you found the car.
As for "grinding it down smooth and painting with the new chrome type silver oxide paint" I have never seen it turn out looking all that close to actual chrome. Especially having chrome right next to it. You might be better off just living with it as it is while continuing your search. Looking vintage may be better than looking cobbled up. If you do try it though, and don't like the results, another alternative from that point, might be to repaint it to match the car's finish. I have seen that done on a Jag/100 replica and it actually looked pretty good with the chrome inserts. (just a thought)
Anyhow, congrats on finishing your restoration, like I said Beautiful Automobile!
1970 Beetle 4 spd
[ Now I believe in Re-Incarnation ]
DavBowSR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a million! Your thoughts about the grill are some of the same thoughts that I have been kicking around. Left it as is for four years, getting tired of it and also tired of it being the first thing people seem to notice at car shows, etc. It had occurred to me that painting it the same as the body might not look too bad, and no doubt it would look better than it does now, so that is another idea I will be considering.

The body color is an ivory basecoat with a clear pearlescent finish, I really like it a lot, especially classy looking in the sun when it really shines, but not garish like a metal flake! I am happy that others seem to like it as well as I do. Women especially make good comments about the color at the shows. Interior is dark brown vinyl and carpet with varnished wood dash, seems to work well with the body color.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: