Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How difficult is work on a diesel Rabbit pickup (Caddy)?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
uRabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: How difficult is work on a diesel Rabbit pickup (Caddy)? Reply with quote

Looking into getting a Caddy or bus. Caddies are typically more affordable around here, so I'm wondering how easy they are to work on when compared to classic Vee Dubs.

I've never owned or worked on a VW, much less a diesel. I do maintain my daily driver myself.

So, I guess, any real major differences that may set me back?
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wll a mk1 is easy imo to work on... a caddy to me is too cramped though...

had one for around town from 94-02 never did rod trips as too cramped.. busses... my opinion sux completly...

look up kubvan... mine will camp like a westy, (120 low floor version).. reliable like a mk1.. and powered from tdi-m with enough power to tow car from cali to ohio..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

working on selling something.. then plan to camp/road trip for a year in it soon.. pnw is one of my stops..
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crsmp5 wrote:
a caddy to me is too cramped

If I were 6' 2" tall or taller, I would agree. As far as working on them is concerned, a Pickup is no different than any other MkI Volkswagen. (I say Pickup instead of Caddy because Caddy has a more expanded reference elsewhere, especially the UK, because VW Pickups were only offered in the US for four years -- 1980-83.)
punkabillyvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i loved my 81 caddy was my first vw got it for first car in high school back in 98 got it from a family friend that bought it new did a proper tune up replaced fuel tank had hole in it due to hard northern wisconsin winters and salt drove it everyday for just shy of ten years never had to do anything but routine maintenance dont know what the final mileage on motor was odometer stopped working in 2001 after its second time rolling over caddy is still on the road in my hometown but no longer a diesel shop i sold it to did a motor swap from 86 scirocco 16v
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW Diesel Pickup mid forty's + mileage ( with on or off road fuel ).
VW Gas Bus mid teen's mileage .

If either fit my needs and I planned on putting on a lot of miles I'd go with the diesel . But since either vehicle will likely be well used & old , condition/maintenance would top my concerns .

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
damac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive only mk1 mk2 diesels just because they are easy and get good mileage. Diesel engines are waaay less cluttered under the hood. All you need to do to start is learn how to do a timing belt job, and start out with a good running injection pump thats been resealed and with fresh rebuilt injectors. This way you know what a healthy engine sounds like.

After time you will learn to tell when timing is off by sound/smoke patterns. You will be able to detect clogging filters and the car ingesting air and stumbling, etc.

The chasis work, I don't see how it could be easier? With proper tools you can have car in the air and replace practically everything underneath in a weekend.

I also like to take my complete engine/trannys out of the vehicle from above(some suggest going below with car raised in the air). I can easily from start to having the whole assembly on the ground, do so in 2 hours or less.

Everything else is rather simple to tackle one issue at a time.

Specifically on the truck, I got one without sitting in and put it up for sale. 6 foot, 280 pounds and its simply not enough room so I can stretch my legs out. And I got later bucket type smaller profile seats that took my head off the cieling and pushed them all the way back with larger seatbelts(wouldn't work), and a slightly smaller steering wheel and I am cramped. I have to push the seat all the way back with no angle to the backrest which just kills my back, nowhere to go Sad

I was actually temped to try a mk2 seat that has the tilting feature in it, but I doubt it will work out.
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

correct.. seat back still flat but cushon over rear floor closer to floor.. tried it.. 83/84 seats have thinnest seat backs of bnny too.. good 1" thickness differance vs older ones..
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife just bought this

'82 Diesel LX, REALLY DRY Cali Body, new head, runs great !
We have had dozens of Vw buses, still have a few, but this little guy will be a great yard rig, and a high mpg spare rig for the winters, the PO had a block heater added & oil under coated it. They are fine for people under 6 foot Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
stewardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this 81 turbodiesel Caddy and couldn't be happier. They are among the easiest to work on that I've ever owned. If I can help, just let me know.

BigPapaYams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: How easy to work on a Pickup? Reply with quote

So simple a caveman can do it!! ESPECIALLY when it's a diesel. That's one of the reasons I bought mine. Oh yeah, the 44 mpg on my 80+ mile daily commute cut my monthly fuel expense IN HALF.

1980 Vanagon Country Homes Camper (purchased not running - still not running)
1980 Rabbit Pickup (purchased not running and ugly but good potential) with 1.5L diesel & 4-speed
1981 Rabbit Pickup (my daily driver) 1.6L diesel & 5-speed
2009 Yamaha T-Max scooter (SOLD)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: