Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alt light
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
puddle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Alt light Reply with quote

On my way to work today my alternator light came on, car still runs and starts, belt is intact. Problem is I'm at work for 10 days kinda in the middle of nowhere and I don't have any of my car tools (voltage tester would be helpful) is there any way to check if the alternator is shot? If I pull the negative cable while the engine is running it should stay running if the alternator is good and die if not, right?
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ling batt cable = burnt up things do not do that...

if its on its not charging... simple as that..
puddle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah got ahold of a multimeter. Now I have to figure out how I'm going to get the 7 hours home to my parts car. Sad
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if gas... not going to make it unless you got a few spare charged batts...

if old idi diesel.. remove shut off piece from fuel pump.. spring/plunger... then use clucth to kill engine.... ride with no lights or wipers so the batt stores power fo rrad fan and brake lights...

if tdi.. kinda like gas car.. i doubt you will make it..

older vw.. ill say till 94 had voltage stabilizer of 7v.. those cars.. rabbit/jetta when your batt gets to 7v.. the gauges gas/temp stop working... if all the above is not followed.. you have about 2 blocks of power when they stop working... unless idi diesel pieces removed...

7v is like the minimum the car will run... the brake lights at this point are dim.. turns are of question... but idi will keep running f you do no tover heat it... aka no rad fan at this point...
vwmaniaman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you disconnected the battery when it is not running and pulled out th eregulator from the back of your alternator. Couple of screws maybe 3. Brushes are in it and maybe too short to touch the rings. You may be able to stretch the springs a bit to get just enough to make it home or just order in a new part. and drive home with confidence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
fmartin_gila
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read somewhere as an emergency fix. Loosen the screws slightly that mount the regulater/brush holder to the alternator and push the unit slightly closer towards the center of the alternator thusly taking out the slack in the screw holes and then tighten the screws. If the problem is worn out brushes, this will give you a few more miles of use.

Fred
puddle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses everyone, here's where I'm at. Got a parts store to order me an alternator (2 days), got it installed, volt meter reads 13 and change with engine running. Start my 7 hour drive home. Now I should mention that on this drive I pass 1 town and drive through 1 other town, and there is no cell service for at least 5 hours of it.(I do really love the mountains though!) So an hour after I pass the last of civilization till I get home I notice the dash lights seem dim, then I wash the windshield and the wipers hardly move, WTF the alternator light hasn't come on? Stop hop out check the voltage at the battery, 10.somthing. Well, middle of nowhere, no cell service for at least an hour either direction but I know of a pay phone up the road so I keep going. BAM, alternator light comes on and a black piece of rubber appears in my mirror and is gone over the snow bank. Make it maybe another mile and the car is dead on the road an hour and a half from home. Luckily catch a ride almost instantly (NOT a busy highway). Now the car has been out on the road for 5 days, I've been up once with the alternator and belt from my 97, alternator fits fine, belt is too long??? Grrr! Been to 2 parts stores and now have two different size belts for the same engine? Whatever, I'm going up tomorrow, one of them better fit!
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what car is it??? you never told us
puddle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, you're right I didn't! I'm driving a 94 Jetta 2.0 gas that I purchased a couple months ago. My parts car is my 97 Jetta 2.0 gas that I drove for the past 10 years. Guess I was too pissed of to mention that earlier! Laughing
cub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does a Mk3 have an exciter wire ?
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes
puddle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked the car up Thursday. Looks like the replacement alternator fried since with the one from my old car and the proper length belt I made the hour and a half trip home with no problems. Missed a whole week of work, most exspensive alternator belt ever Mad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: