Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Red 9 Design front wishbone suspension
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

makin' boost wrote:
GeorgeO. wrote:
My question is how is the steering assembled?

It is a rack and pinion steering box, that, I was told, bolts right up to the existing shaft.

I have also heard that the Bay bus's have a plastic "bearing" top and bottom on/in the steering shaft that can become worn over time.
Anyone with experience on this ??

It's not plastic is a metal bushing that wears out due to lack of grease. This is why most Buses have sloppy steering.
I think the Red 9 front end is awesome and a vast improvement over the stock setup. I wish I had the $$ for it but a stock setup in spec along with good shocks and a heavier front sway really are pretty good.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
makin' boost wrote:
GeorgeO. wrote:
My question is how is the steering assembled?

It is a rack and pinion steering box, that, I was told, bolts right up to the existing shaft.

I have also heard that the Bay bus's have a plastic "bearing" top and bottom on/in the steering shaft that can become worn over time.
Anyone with experience on this ??

It's not plastic is a metal bushing that wears out due to lack of grease. This is why most Buses have sloppy steering.
I think the Red 9 front end is awesome and a vast improvement over the stock setup. I wish I had the $$ for it but a stock setup in spec along with good shocks and a heavier front sway really are pretty good.

I concur. If you must have a 'Race Taxi' Bus, then perhaps the double-wishbone setup makes sense if you're going to use it in that context. I would be content with keeping the Bus between the lines on the Interstate, but that's more my use case: Go a long, long way and not fuss and spend money like water. If Red9 products were available in the USA (even on a 100% upfront commissioning basis) I'd consider it for the 'set and forget' factor. But they aren't so I'm going to conserve my capital for the many other things I must cope with keeping a 40 yo mule on the road, with dwindling parts supply or parts available that are made out of pressed cheese in slave labor states.

M
makin' boost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the top ...................

No one on the West Coast with one of these ??

Some local feed back sure would help.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one of these on the west coast, and it is on ebay. I asked the seller and he says it is complete. Someone should grab it, before I do. Cool
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-9-Design-VW-Volkeswago...7675.l2557
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
nynone4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Red 9 Design front wishbone suspension Reply with quote

Resurrecting a thread from the past...

Anyone else that's been running one of the RED9 double wishbone kits longterm care to comment on their experience? I'm looking seriously at putting one of these on my '70 crew cab... but am curious about others' longterm experience with the quality and rack and pinion setup. Still love it? Would you go back to stock?

I need to contact Red9 also to see if my existing Wagenswest babystang disc brakes will mount onto the spindles they use.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: