Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Expanding classified search distance?
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Expanding classified search distance? Reply with quote

Is this possible now? I'm wondering if the maximum distance to search by could be expanded to 1000 (or even 750) miles. While something over 500 miles, might sound like a lot, it's really only an overnight drive, which is something I might be willing to do for the right car. I figure since the search is able to determine if an ad is 500 miles of less from the searcher, that figure has to be available and therefore should be able to be shown. Also wonder if possible to have the results sorted by distance. This would save time from having to do multiple searches by state or area (beyond the 500) if that expanded distance were incorporated.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over 500 miles is possible but it starts getting A LOT of zip codes and ads when you do that, depending on what other selection(s) you are adding to the search. Searching on a single vehicle section doesn't look too bad though. I took a look and the search speed didn't seem to be affected by searching using 750 or 1000 miles so I'm open to suggestions on what else to add.

Just 750 and 1000 or some numbers in between or ?
Over 1000 seems sort of pointless to me, just look at all the cars in the USA at that point.

Sorting by distance:
Probably not.
I will look at it but there is no distance calculated when you do a distance search, it grabs all the zip codes within a X mile circle from your source zip code and then retrieves all the ads in those zip codes. X being whatever distance you pick - 100 miles, 500 miles, whatever.
One thing of note: If someone one enter a wrong zip code it is possible their ad will not be found by the distance search.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was thinking this mostly for vehicles & didn't think too many would pop up since I also typically would look in a price range. I also get that some may post incorrect zips as well. If it can't be sorted maybe 750 and 1000 should be offered.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

750 and 1000 have been added.

If anyone else has an opinion about distances, let me know.

The complete list right now is:
Within 10 miles
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: